Roseanne canceled

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by archangel, May 29, 2018.

1. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

That was fast.

I was sitting there going well .... I can't watch Roseanne any more.

and then ABC canceled it.

edit: as mentioned I should have added more info

Roseanne Bar said the following
    [​IMG]

Vj is Valerie Jarett. A black woman who served as Advisor to former President Obama. Obviously comparing a black person to an ape is a well known racist remark.

Roseanne would later apologise for the remark.
    [​IMG]
    Wanada sykes would later quit the show.
    [​IMG]
    ABC ended up cancelling it.

Maybe ABC will revive Dionsaurs.......

[​IMG]

meh.... too controversial in this era..... I suppose

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  2. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I couldn't care less about Rosanne, but damn, all those people's paychecks have gone up in smoke because of her dumbass tweet.

3. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Since the OP didn't even bother to post an article or link to what he's referring to, Here's a THR news clip:

4. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

That's the only way people will start putting their peers in check instead of just laughing at racist jokes. Real life consequences, feel that burn. It's about time for people to realize that racism affects people from all backgrounds.

No one should tolerate it from anybody.

5. archangel

I felt like people would know before they got to the thread. but yea I see your point that if you don't know it might be odd.

6. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Black people as a percentage of the U.S. population watch more TV than anyone, so of course ABC is going to take drastic action to make sure they aren't the network we collectively don't watch anymore.lol

7. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Here is the actual, complete tweet..

[​IMG]

8. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Black people and old people lol. They're not really concerned about the old folks because all they buy if anything is more cable.

9. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

ABC is likely next to go.
    David Hogg is calling for a boycott for all of Disney (movies, shows TV etc) because Disney, who owns ABC, donated to a politician in Florida who defends the NRA.
    He's already orchestrated a lie-in demonstration against Publix Supermarket for donating, so Publix issued a statement that they won't be donating amymore to anyone.

10. archangel

a bit of a disconnection there wouldn't you say. This was about racism not about gun control. Disney has been very diverse in their selection of people.

How much have they made off of the Marvel movies? They are fine.....

11. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I' m not sure you can credit Disney with diversity and not The Roesanne Show.

12. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Not unlike the #Metoo Movement and shows/movies.
    Of course sexual harrasement and rape is not the same aa a racist 'joke' tweet, but to the point you made of many not directly responsible who are being affected too.

13. archangel

Disney did approve of Family Matters. The Rosanne show was mostly if not all... a white cast. Nothing wrong or right about it. but to say that they had a main cast member that wasn't white wouldn't be all too truthful except in this current season.
    Though I will admit that I have not gone back to watch all the episodes.

By the way, I did like the Roseanne show and I liked what they were doing in trying to introduce some of their fans to modern times(like having muslim neighbors or a kid playing gender boundaries etc etc) I just didn't know how f'ed up barr really is. SO sad to see a show that had so much potential but killed off by this woman. I hope Sara Gilbert can take the show.

14. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

I believe Disney bought ABC in 1996. So I don't see how you can make a statement about how Disney approved of those 2 shows when they didn't own ABC till their later seasons.

15. archangel

Yea Disney did buy ABC in 1996. I should have stuck to the movies. Black Panther is still standing tall. Blackish is there. I kind of assumed family matters happened under Disney because of all of the roles that black people have gotten lately from Disney in Marvel and Star Wars.

16. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

And let's be honest they cancelled it because of the backlash mainly and not the tweet.

17. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Absolutely. The only thing a bunch of brutes can understand is consequences.

18. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. Total selfishness on her part but we shouldn't be surprised. Trump supporting conservative with money sounds about right.

19. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Roseanne was diverse to you?

20. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

Begone, foul hag.
    A textbook example of how to quickly and easily decimate a career resurgence via social media.
    And it couldn't have happened to a nicer person.