Share your city with us!

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by Athena, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Athena

Athena New Member

I am currently basking in -30C (-22F) weather and instead of feeling sorry for myself, I thought I'd share some parts (by no means an exhaustive list) of Canada that I've had the good fortune to visit - keeps me happy too when I remind myself why I love it here.

I'd like to encourage you to share some pictures of your country or city so that we can all learn (or at least me cause I like to learn about other places, lol).

I have used pics from the net as most of mine have other people in them who haven't given me permission to plaster their image all over. haha

Enjoy!
    Here is Toronto - I've visited it lots because of family and it's kinda the centre of the Canadian universe (at least according to Torontonians lol)
    [​IMG]

Tofino BC - where I learned to surf. It's not epic surfing like Hawaii nor Australia, but hugely fun place filled with hippies, artists, wealthy and impoverished nature lovers. I absolutely LOVE life in Tofino. I was in the hostel there and heard an unusual sound outside my window - looked and saw an orca in the bay! Amazing place.
    [​IMG]

Peggy's Cove Nova Scotia. Beautiful east coast village. There's a romantic story behind the name which escapes me right now.
    [​IMG]

Newfoundland I almost moved here to study biology, but stayed in Edmonton.
    [​IMG]

2. Athena

Athena New Member

More great Canadian places

Quebec City - I spent a summer here studying French, an absolutely beautiful historical city. The English and French battled it out here (among other spots of course).
    [​IMG]

This is actually part of a town - like a third of it. I have family from here, Herschel Saskatchewan. I once asked my aunt how many people live there and she named them all. I think she also named some cows and chickens, regardless the number was 45 souls at the time.
    [​IMG]

Banff, Alberta. Ice climbing, although likely doesn't sound like much fun especially to the southerners is actually a hoot! Until your ice axe punches through to the running water on the other side. The fun ends pretty quick then.
    [​IMG]

The Badlands in Drumheller Alberta. Lots of dinosaurs here (yes other than me) and the finds have been pretty significant for the field.
    [​IMG]

3. Athena

Athena New Member

Chilkoot Trail - although it straddles Alaska and BC, it was a pretty amazing historical trip. Literally the hike was through the longest garbage field I've ever seen, but the history behind the gold rush was amazing to learn.
    [​IMG]

Chilkoot Pass - I believe this is the Alaska side still but here's a pic of miners walking up the pass. Can you imagine????
    [​IMG]

This is houseboating in Sicamous BC. Houseboating there redefines partying. We rented a boat made for 10 people, stuck 13 crazy women on it for 4 days and now we're all on a liver transplant list. Imagine hundreds of these boats lined up side by side on a beach and beach firepits, hottubs on the roofs, alcohol everywhere. It was insanely fun.
    [​IMG]

Aurora Borealis - this pic was taken in the Yukon. It is an amazing natural phenomenon. Multicoloured lights traversing the sky on a cold night. Gorgeous. Some people believe that conceiving a child under the borealis lights will bring that child great prosperity. Well I'd like the practice anyways lol.
    [​IMG]

4. Athena

Athena New Member

Edmonton - my city

Edmonton - where I live. This is the Folk Music Fest in Edmonton. It's essentially an excuse to be a hippy for a whole weekend. It's a lot of fun!
    [​IMG]

Edmonton's river valley is so beautiful. When I was younger, I'd put on my backpack, and walk the trails all day. I'd never see the same path twice. It's beautiful - especially in the fall.
    [​IMG]

I hope you've enjoyed your brief tour of Canada. Please come back and visit again!

Cheers :)

5. Persephone

Persephone New Member

Ahh, what can I saw about Houston?

There is that "Big Texas Sky" thing everyone's always talking about
    [​IMG]

I took that in the parking lot.

We also have crazy traffic issues:
    [​IMG]

That's from the bus stop. Hah.

[​IMG]

It's always crowded on the street. Except at around 3am.

Now, for ones I didn't take.

Downtown Houston
    By Day
    [​IMG]

And by night
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    That's a map of the Houston Metropolitan area. I've been as far as Galveston, and I went to Dallas once, but that's about the extent of my Texas travels.

6. LA

LA Well-Known Member

Los Angeles: 110 Harbor Freeway going through Downtown.

[​IMG]

Capitol Records

[​IMG]

Los Angeles skyline as seen from Mulholland Drive.

[​IMG]

7. LA

LA Well-Known Member

Remember these days??????? :smt013

[​IMG]

8. Athena

Athena New Member

Divine DH & SoCal, thank you for posting those pics - wonderful. You two live in MASSIVE cities!!!!!! :rolleyes: I like the skyline views - amazing.

9. Persephone

Persephone New Member

I grew up in Southern West Virginia, a far cry from Houston.

In WV there are many exciting shopping possibilities, such as this!
    [​IMG]

Traffic is almost nonexistent!
    [​IMG]

The scenery is gorgeous, if you can catch the mountains like this...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before they look like this:
    [​IMG]

This is what happens when we start running out of our coal veins underneath mountains. So what do we do? We just cut off the top of the mountain.

[​IMG]

This is a coal mine. Many WV men see this 16-18 hours a day, 6 days a week. It's our bread and butter. Without coal the state economy would collapse and become nonexistent, a step down from the "barely there" economy the state suffices itself with now.

10. Persephone

Persephone New Member

6,000,000 in the Houston Metropolitan area, last I checked. It's very strange, my goddess. *L* I grew up in the forest!

11. KnCA

KnCA New Member

I live in Fresno California which is definitely not a glamorous place to be! It's known for agriculture (I realize that many outside of CA don't know that CA is a HUGE ag state!) and heat. 110+ here in the summer is not unusual. They like to say..."but it's a dry heat". Let me tell you at 116 it doesn't matter!

The great thing about Fresno is that it's close to Yosemite and in 3-3.5 hours you can be in LA, Sacramento, or the Bay Area. Mountains (YES there are mountains in CA) are within an hour driving.

I've heard that Fresno was the place where many movie mogals and stars owned homes to get out of the busy LA area. It's definitely not my favorite place and I plan to move closer to the ocean within the next year (that may not be the Pacific ocean)

[YOUTUBE]k-sqvpRFJ-o&feature=channel[/YOUTUBE]

12. Athena

Athena New Member

13. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

Sacramento

[​IMG]
    Hella smog.

[​IMG]

Lotta traffic and shitty drivers.

[​IMG]

Nicer par of Sac, Roseville.

[​IMG]

Not so nice part, South Sac.

[​IMG]

Hella diverse. most diverse in the country.

Tower Records

[​IMG]

One of the few cool places to come out of Sac. Closed down now. At least we got Dimple Records though still.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  14. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

I cannot compete with the city panoramic views posted previously, where i live there simply is not anywhere big enough, i googled some pics of local area mostly its buildings architecture stuff, but still its what i drive by daily or at least weekly.

It looks boring, but still here i go.:D

This is in my village i drive past this 4 times a day.

[​IMG][/IMG]

The Bridge in the village i used to live in, Aylesford.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

A pic of Archbishops Palace Maidstone.

[​IMG][/IMG]

The same stretch of river, but showing the River Festival, could not find any crazy pics of how mad it gets in the evenings of River festival weekend such as people stripping of and jumping into the river from the bridges.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

No high rise buildings absolutely Zilch sorry, pretty much bridges and churches lol.

15. learnin2fly08

learnin2fly08 New Member

Well I have two cities to share...
    First is Norman where I went to school...
    [​IMG]
    Sign from I-35

[​IMG]
    The tower dorms at OU...I lived in the one that's in the back

[​IMG]
    President Boren's house after the ice storm of 07

[​IMG]
    Campus Corner...shopping, food, bars, clubs

[​IMG]
    Heisman Park outside the stadium...Billy Sims

[​IMG]
    National Weather Center...cool place, had a few classes there

16. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Arco. Punk ass king's fans. Y'all suck.

[​IMG]

It's hella fun walking around downtown Sac. All the clubs and people on the weekend. Shitty driving though.

[​IMG]

The Hard Rock Cafe where Kobe got poisoned in the playoffs in the king's series.

17. learnin2fly08

learnin2fly08 New Member

Now for my hometown..Lawton
    [​IMG]
    Mt. Scott and Lake Lawtonka

[​IMG]
    Miss America...Lauren is a very nice girl too

[​IMG]
    A buffalo in the refuge

[​IMG]
    Medicine Bluffs...this is where Geronimo the Apache jumped from to evade the Army...there's a really deep creek below, used to hike up there. That's where we get the saying "Geronimooooooo" from, haha neat factoid

[​IMG]
    And Ft. Sill

18. KnCA

KnCA New Member

Tower Records

[​IMG]

One of the few cool places to come out of Sac. Closed down now. At least we got Dimple Records though still.[/quote]

I spent most of my life in and around Sac area. Tower closing is a crime for sure.

19. fromrussiawithlove

fromrussiawithlove New Member

Hahaha!
    Aw man, everthing is so more exciting than Manchester :( The best thing we have here are squirrels.

20. satyricon

satyricon Guest

Los Angeles

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A church in my neighborhood.

[​IMG]