"she's not hip hop" says hip hop star

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by goodlove, Sep 28, 2014.

1. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

2. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

MC Hammer was pop from the very beginning only to lose out to Vanilla Ice and bankruptcy. He went to gospel and stayed there. Vanilla Ice had moved on(after a run-in with Marion "Shuge" Knight) into real estate and home repair. He had a show on the H&G channel.

I think Will Smith, Ice-T, LL Cool J and Queen Latifah are doing just fine after rap. Ice Cube needs to do a police/military drama or a science fiction/ action adventure show or film.

3. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Darius Rucker from Hootie & The Blowfish did have that countrified pop rock sound. They played on the college circuit. The other members realized that Darius gets teased a lot because some disrespectful audience members often refer to Rucker as Hootie. I guess if the band was simply called Blowfish it would've taken off, too. But they took off and were successful. But when Rucker went into country, a few white country fans went on the offensive telling Rucker to get out of country. I guess these country fans never heard of Charlie Pride, Trini Triggs(a black country singer from the islands who was discovered by Garth Brooks),Lionel Ritchie sometimes sings a country tune like (Stuck On You and Deep River Woman with the group Alabama and is friends with Kenny Rogers), Bonnie Pointer(she wrote songs that became country hits) and a man who was honored in the Country/ Western Hall Of Fame(I forgot his name). This man performed with a traveling country show and was famous for playing a harmonica in an unusual way. This was in the 30's. He was a part of the show and was treated as a member of the show even while folks were segregated. And the company liked him. Nobody gave Mexican singer Freddie Fender flack when he sang in country shows, because he was Tex-Mex and his hit song "I'll Be There Until The Next Teardrop Falls" was a crossover hit with country, Tex-Mex and pop. A Japanese violinist who had appeared on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson a few times often played country tunes. He is a regular on the country circuit in Branson, Missouri along with Tony Orlando. Country-Western has more foreigners than the fans realize.

4. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I grew up listening to Led Zepplin(songs like A Whole Lotta Love, Black Dog and The Immigrant Song were played only at night on AM radio back in the 70's). Then came The Guess Who's American Woman. I loved it when I was little. Then came Credence Clearwater Revival and The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. Then things became mellow in the house with Motown, Atlantic, Roulette, Stax records playing on the stereo. Sunday mornings we would listen to the up-tempo gospel songs sung by what are now called Quartet groups like The Mighty Clouds Of Joy and others. The rock group KISS was forbidden in the house. After I graduated from high school, I discovered Rush by way of the songs Tom Sawyer, Fly By Night and Jack the Ripper. What I really loved about rock music was the freedom and power it had.

5. goodlove

goodlove New Member

6. flaminghetero

flaminghetero Well-Known Member

She's just as hip hop as whatever that shit is Robin Thicke does.

Why not fuck with his corny plagerising ass.

He flat out steals from Marvin Gay and not a peep from negroes...if that were a WW stealing from Aretha Franklin they'd be throwing things onstage.

7. FRESH

FRESH New Member

Everything started from Hip-Hop. As the peaceful struggle turned into 80's gangland and war on drugs, Gangsta Rap was born. The music emulated the life and the life emulated the music. All the meanwhile you still had Hip-Hop which was everything Gangsta Rap wasn't, which had its reaches into Jazz, Rock, Reggae, finally now to country, edm, electronic and where ever else you may find it, at Iggy's door step. Gangsta rap has receded a bit, because it's not reflecting what we are about as much. You still see it and hear where it's needed/used to reflect what's happening on the streets, Trill, Drill music is big in Chicago, in pockets until someone goes it mainstream like Chief Keef. If we aren't there yet, we surely are in a transition phase of music.

8. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

You agree wit that angry black female rapper that Iggy's music was not hip-hop. That's nonsense. It may not be great hip-hop, it may not even be good hip-hop. But to claim Iggy's music isn't hip-hop at all is absurd.

9. JamalSpunky

Hell, I'd be overjoyed if blacks started fleeing from hip-hop in droves. I've been waiting for that for like fifteen years now. Can we move on? I'm sick of seeing black males put in a box. For every one young black male singer who gets a record deal there are like fifteen black male rappers getting their own deals. Enough.

10. JamalSpunky

So what makes a music no longer ours? When white artists start picking up on it and make more money off of it? That's a superficial way of looking at it. But if you want to go there where you crying when Eminem was selling more albums/records than Jay Z, Nas, Kanye, etc. combined? Can't justify that simply because he is very talented. He isn't talented enough to be selling by far more records than all of the top, elite black artists. But he is a white guy which mean the white masses as well as the Asians and Latinos may favor him more than they do equally talented or more talented black performers. And that's how it has always been with a few exceptions (like the 80s during the heyday of Michael Jackson, Prince, Lionel Richie). If the only way to keep the music "ours" is by making sure black artists are the the top selling artists of that genre then the only way for that to happen is for a)white consumers to get beyond their subconscious (I'm being kind) preference for preferring artists that look like them or 2)black artists should stop sharing their music for the world to hear and consume. Other than that you are going to get the same results.

The thing is though that blacks still make up the vast majority of rap musicians even after 30 years. This is the total opposite of a genre like rock ' n' roll/rock in which whites quickly boarded that gravy train and started dominating the genre in the 1960s (and continue to do so to this day). Hip-hop or all intents and purposes still "belong" to black people and there is no better proof of that then the white folks who dismiss hip-hop as being black invented music/black dominated music but have no clue that black folks created their beloved rock too..

11. JamalSpunky

I forgot to address this part.

With all due respect...who gives a fuck about black women on this issue? Why do YOU give a fuck?

Let's get real. Black men have created far more genres of American music than any other group. They were at the forefront of blues, jazz, R 'n' b, rock 'n roll, soul, disco, rap. But despite that from the 1900s up to this day the group of vocalists who have been the most successful in terms of sales have been white men and black women. And it had nothing to do with talent. White men dominated because they ran everything, controlled everything and had to be at the center of everything. And they didn't share the spotlight with their women either. They kept their women under their thumb and thus huge white female music star was more of a rarity.

Black women had just the opposite experience. First of all black men weren't nearly as threatened by black women's forays into the music biz as white men apparently were of their own women doing so (the songs by bw that dealt with boastful celebrations of sexuality would have never been accepted by the white masses if they were coming from the mouths of white female singers). Second even if black men had been threatened it wouldn't matter as much because white men still controlled the industry and wouldn't think twice giving bw certain liberties that they would never allow their own womenfolk. But most importantly black females as singers have always been more readily accepted in white households (dominated by white men) more so than black male singers have been (there are exceptions of course). A black male singer who coos about love and love making has historically been seen as a threat that must be closely guarded (in other words it could give white female listeners ideas). During the golden era of jazz for example there were countless white male singers and black female singers who were given record deals and found success but very few white female singers and barely a trace of black male singers. The trend continued for decades even as the music changed (The Supremes were by far Motown's most successful act). There aren't any current black male singers with the same star power as Beyonce and Rhianna. Translation: black female singers have been significantly overrepresented in the music industry given their percentage in the overall population. No need to throw a pity party for them if some white chick gets some damn glory.

As of late white female singers have started to overrun the floodgates and have become some of the best selling artists. Even more important t his discussion, some have even dabbled in genres known to be dominated by blacks (soul music, rap) and have ended up finding lots of success even to a point of outselling black female artists. Basically beating them at their own game. And black women, who often come across as the most insecure entities on Earth can't handle it. These women were often silent if white male artists started outselling black men in so-called black genres. In fact the buying power of these women often played a hand in such results. But when it is white women who find major success in singing soul music or rapping, many of the black chicks start losing their shit and crying foul. Fuck....them. Welcome to OUR world, black ladies! We black dudes have been seeing white guys getting rich by appropriating traditionally black forms of music for an eternity and we do it with a little more dignity.

What makes it even more pathetic is that there are endless white gals who support or worship at the feet of black female performers in a manner that no self-respecting white dude would ever do when it comes to a black male artist. White chicks love them some Beyonce about as much as they love them some Oprah. But even that's not enough to cause black women to show equal reverence to a white female artist who has become successful in a black genre.

12. satyr

satyr New Member

[​IMG]

13. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

You saved me a lot of typing. Thank you sir.

14. Satchmo

Satchmo New Member

Call me naive, but is there race/gender discrimination in the music industry today - in terms of success measured by $? I'm not trying to make a point; I honestly don't know. Considering not just singers, but producers - think Birdman. Is this topic moot/irrelevant? Could people judge music by taste and talent and there really is no handicap in the industry (on any large scale) on account of race and gender? Did Michael Jackson not make it? Whites rap, blacks sing opera ... both men and women make bank .... who the f* cares? Or am I naive?

15. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Blacks sing opera?

Where?

In the middle of the Waffle House?

16. The Dark King

It shouldn't matter but in this world of power and position if blacks aren't visible we tend to become seen as others even more so than we already are. When we have no economic standing we quickly become expendable.

17. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

What he's trying to say is...............

Whites already own everything, do they need to take our music too

18. The Dark King

Basically

I know when you're in the majority and everything in the world resembles you and your family it seems like something arbitrary to debate about, but this capitalism game ain't no joke. If you own nothing you are nothing in this shit.

19. Satchmo

Satchmo New Member

Okay, I hear ya. Fair enough. It's just weird - as a white person -- to consider for a second that music began and ends with anyone other than blacks. But, then, I'm from New Orleans and that's just a given there. No question

20. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Ah the bliss of being white in America

I guess you have no problem with race representation in movies or tv either

:p