"she's not hip hop" says hip hop star

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by goodlove, Sep 28, 2014.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Keep up. Never said we didn't get ass before hip hop but hip hop definitely gave us more appeal and more representation in the music world. Before hip hop there were far fewer black household names

2. flaminghetero

flaminghetero Well-Known Member

wrong wrong wrong.

3. goodlove

goodlove New Member

I heard about the sh on the history of rap or some other place but for the most part rap was party music. As i said rundmc is not about that life. People hate to hear this but writing your own rhymes is illegit argument.
    If im correct from the doc history of rap LL Cool j wrote some of run dmcs shit. Pharrel wrote and or produced rump shaker (per oprah winfrey interview im gonna check).

If we are to hold people as not real because they didnt write their rhymes then music purist have the correct logic to say rappers and rap are not artists and not music respectivelyvbecause they sample, dont play instruments or just cant and cant write music. I wouldnt doubt about 70% cant do it.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  4. Mighty Quinn

Mighty Quinn New Member

Join the club. I hardly listen to much Hip-Hop these days. I'll never swear it off though.

This idea that Iggy isn't Hip-Hop because she's popular is nonsensical. She augmented her voice and raps about bringing 88' back. Hardly seems abnormal to me. She took a chance and was not guaranteed success, but she did it; more than you can say for most rap artists who claim to be 'about that life'.

She has flow, presence, and pedigree. I know a star when I see one.

5. goodlove

goodlove New Member

When it comes to her voice... im like whatever. Cause mel tillis stuttered until he sang.

6. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Read she is in hot water on saying the n word. Boy,does she get into a mess.

7. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

It'll blow over like all the rest. Most of these rappers today will give her a pass because she's a pretty white girl down with rappers, so they'll defend her to the death.

8. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Reminds me of fat joe saying nigga

He's on YouTube saying he don't give a fuck who thinks he shouldn't use it

The problem is nigga is a word used by blacks as a form of everyday expression

In the hands of non blacks, it can be used as a weapon which is why there's a gray area

One day you can be down with black people, then decide to flip it and use it like a racist when you decide you're tired of acting black

9. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

Thing is, Puerto Ricans, hell, latinos period seem to not catch shit for saying nigga. Once you can say nigga on a record, you're in the clear. Fat Joe, Pun and Tonedeff and countless others say it, and nobody is saying shit. Anyone else has to keep that shit in their circle or in their head.

10. The Dark King

He's from NY different rules. I don't like it but it is what it is

11. flaminghetero

flaminghetero Well-Known Member

I wonder how they'd feel if we started calling them spics and beaners.

12. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Yeah that was his rationale behind it

Most ricans or Latinos I know in philly identify with us moreso than they do with white people

They talk about similar experiences as a minority and date blacks, so I don't really give a fuck

I wrote about this Latina I was friends with in HS before, who called me out for asking a white girl to the prom

She was really offended by it

13. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

as soon as they make it cool to throw those words around with reckless abandon like blacks do with nigga, maybe they won't care

14. The Dark King

Yeah had a similar experience with a Latina girl when she found out most of my exes were "blancitas"
    I was like damn everyone seems to have an issue with this shit lol

15. jaisee

jaisee Well-Known Member

Watch any Iggy Assalicious or Nicki Minaj video, then go watch Erykah Badu - Love of My Life or Lauren Hill - Ex Factor (or anything else, really).

16. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

I feel ya but in my eyes Nicki and Iggy are still more hip-hop than Lauren and Erykah. The latter are soul singers in my eyes.

17. JamalSpunky

Michael Jackson is the exception, not the rule. Hasn't been until recent years that you have even seen black men more accepted in the opera genre. And race has played a part in music sales for an eternity. Those are just the facts.

18. jaisee

jaisee Well-Known Member

Soul singing to me is a part of hip hop just as much as spittin rhymes. From my perspective, soul is exactly what hip hop is missing these days. Well, soul and talent.

19. Mighty Quinn

Mighty Quinn New Member

Whoa. Lauryn might sing, but she was the best female MC next to Lyte.

20. JamalSpunky

Yes, because giving a pat on the back to a troll who never has anything to offer other than snide remarks and pictures from the MAD magazines he stole from his daddy's collection, says a lot about the validity of your side of the argument. How could anyone save you from typing when in the end there is nothing you can pull out of the air to justify your argument that this Iggy chick is getting rewarded more than black females you see as more talented. There have been and always will be countless artists who are more successful than contemporaries who are superior to them. And of course there will always be consumers/fans complaining that there are many who deserve more success than the popular artists getting all the air play. Nothing new here. But black chicks picking on Iggy definitely seem to have a racial component to add to the mix. Don't tell me if the shoe was on the other foot and a bunch of white female artists were being quoted as being critical of a black female artist who were far more successful than them that black folk wouldn't see that as a form of prejudice.

Nicki Minaj has been getting play on Pop/Top 40 radio stations over the last few years because he music was a better fit for that format than say, Tyler the Creator. Where was the outrage that Minaj's version of hip-hop was watered downed for the mainstream masses? Did Rah Digga take issue with that or did she simply save her scorn for the white girl? If it's the latter then she ruins her argument with her own racial biases.