"she's not hip hop" says hip hop star

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by goodlove, Sep 28, 2014.

1. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

I never brought that argument that soul singing was just as much a part of hip-hop which is why I always rejected the notion, back in the day, that Lauryn Hill was a hip-hop artist.

It's just like jazz and blues. When WC Handy and Louis Armstrong brought their brand of jazz to the scene many began referring to the music as blues. But I for one don't think any song that includes a trumpet is a true blues song. Just my take.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  2. JamalSpunky

You thought she was that good? I don't know about that.

But playing devil's advocate even if that was the case, point remains as an artist she made her bones through her singing. Meanwhile Andre 3000 dabbles in singing from time to time and incorporates different genres in his music, but the guy will always will be first and foremost a rapper to me.

3. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Lauryn hill is a hot mess

4. JamalSpunky

You do realize that hip-hop never been embraced by mainstream America as jazz, disco and soul, right? You still have large sections of mainstream America who still refuse to accept the validity of the artform. Hip hop has never made a black male superstar on the level of Prince, Michael Jackson, Nat King Cole, Marvin Gaye, Fuckin' Lionel Richie, Sam Cooke, etc., nor has hip-hop after all this time put forth a black male artist as well-loved by mainstream audiences as Bob Marley and Jimi Hendrix. You do also realize that hip-hop concerts have historically been the least profitable in general compared to concerts of other popular genres and that hip-hop artists (at least black ones) don't rise high on the pop charts that are shaped by white, mainstream society? I'm not trying to justify the prejudices directed at hip-hop in general, just pointing out that the genre has not created nearly the self-sustaining black male artists that you seem to clam it has.

5. JamalSpunky

It is a numbers game that black people are not always going to win. That's the disadvantage of being a minority in a country (and now just the second biggest minority at that). With white people having the bigger numbers and the bigger wallets they determine (from a monetary point of view) who are the true megastars. That's America, baby. You're chasing windmills if you think something can be done to change that.

6. JamalSpunky

Well....yeah...she is now.

7. Mighty Quinn

Mighty Quinn New Member

Uh, yeah. Based strictly on past performances like Vocab, Nappy Heads, Some Seek Stardom, Zealots, Ooh La La, etc.

She had her antecedents like Latifah, Roxanne, and Monie Love, and competition like Rage, Brat, Kim, etc. But Lauren made dudes forget she was a female without forgetting she was female. She was totally impercetible with it. It wasn't how she impressed her male peers either. She was just that impressive. Only Lyte did it better.

8. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

LOL

damn this makes me wanna youtube some old Lauren or erykah

9. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Really? Have you heard of Jay-z or 50 Cent maybe Tupac or Lil Wayne maybe Drake? These dudes have done crazy numbers and 50 and Jay-z are richer than all the other acts you mentioned as well as Puff if you want to include him as a rapper. Also hip hop was the first vehicle where there was an element of black ownership of the art form. Shit almost forgot Dr. Dre who was able to become the first billion dollar rapper. Yes I know they all didn't make their fortunes strictly from rapping but neither MJ who is the closest in wealth more so for his ownership of the Beatles catalogue than purely music.
    Granted none of the hip hop artist have been considered classic yet but the art form hasn't been around nearly as long as the other genres you listed.

10. jaisee

jaisee Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favor and do it.

11. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Repped! I hope you seen Lauren in concert! She throws a good one! Especially when she freestyles!!

12. goodlove

goodlove New Member

So you think she is freestyling.
    Dun dun dun duuuunnnnn.

13. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Were you at the same concert I went to? Better yet have you ever seen Lauren in concert at all?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  14. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

His ass is countryer than a mug

15. jaisee

jaisee Well-Known Member

16. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

I'm too white for this thread. I'm out of here.

17. flaminghetero

flaminghetero Well-Known Member

they still wouldn't let us call them beaners and spics...but what do you know...you think it's worse to be an A-rab in america than a BM.:smt042

18. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

And what do you know........ you think everyone is racist against blacks :smt042

19. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

As far as groups are concerned there isn't a single group of people that doesn't hate us as a whole. There may be individuals who don't care but everyone from Asians to anglo Latinos to Arabs to Indians hate and look down on black people. Some are more proactive than others but you really see how clear it is when you date. Nearly every dating site I've been on there are a shit ton of women who make it point to say they won't date bm, not that they say wm only or some other race/ethnicity but they make it very clear no bm allowed.
    It's real out here kid

20. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

What about native Americans

Cry me a river