Stanford just made tuition free for families earning less than $125,000 per year

Discussion in 'Getting Ahead: Careers, Finance and Productivity' started by Bliss, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

2. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

we touched on this briefly in chat last night...I think it was archangel that pointed out the reason stanford can do this is due to making a large percentage of their revenue on research

I completely agree the USA would be a better place if we had more youth headed to college with less loans meeting them at the end or parents struggling...let the rich pay for their kids to go to school...charge them double:p

3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I hate that l can't chat with this phone.

According to the article, it's Stanford's rich/wealthy students tuition payments who subsidize this to make it possible.

Education should be free. The Govt can find something in their pork barrels to eliminate to sustain free education.

4. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

I seen this too

Good gestures on behalf of all of the universities that do this

One less thing to worry about if ur lucky

For everyone else....have fun paying back ur loans!

5. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

Ooh, better be careful. You're going to start sounding like dirty yooropean soshalists if you keep talking like that. :cool:

6. K

K Well-Known Member

Yah I didn't say this in chat, but I would also guess that it can be contributed to the large number of major donors they have. I think it's a great thing. It will still be really expensive for kids to go there. Just the costs of living, etc.

7. z

z Well-Known Member

Nice for Stanford

Edu should be free or a lot less cheaper than some of these diploma mill school charging

8. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

Stanford's endowment is over $21 billion dollars. They can definitely bite the bullet of some students attending for free. Plus a degree from Stanford is worth it's weight in gold.

9. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

This is impressive. As the cumulative product of the human race, knowledge and education should be free. Hope more institutions do the same.

10. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

That's amazing. I feel like a college education should be FREE for anyone who's good enough to make the grade. That way everyone gets post-high school education if they can handle it. You could decide for yourself if you want to spend money on private school, instead of taking the free public schooling. Our entire nation benefits when the populace as a whole is better educated.

But no! We'd rather make college too expensive for millions and then saddle "tomorrow's leaders" with unsustainable levels of student debt.

Phew! Sorry for the mini rant.

Bravo Stanford!

11. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Penn state's tuition pretty much doubled since 2000

I checked a few years back and felt sad for the upcoming classes

I cant imagine what it costs now in 2015

These tuition hikes are madness....public schools used to be cheap as far as college is concerned

12. Satchmo

Satchmo New Member

Damn it. My jersey should read "10 years late and a 100Gs short"
    f*ck this. don't wanna hear it

13. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

College should be getting cheaper not more expensive with the online option.

14. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Money talks, you know that mr wall street

15. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

You're right fam. Just sucks that everything from health to education is for profit and everyone just goes along with it. They think college tuition costing more than the average salary is sane especially with all these cost cutting devices. We rush to convenience yet never question if costs are being cut why the fuck am I paying more.

16. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Seriously....my health system offers 'fancy' recovery rooms or whatever for people that can afford them, furthering the divide between the rich and poor

Don't even get me started on medications

I use a prescription ointment for my face that keeps me beautiful, that costs a few hundred bucks for a 30gram tube without insurance (I pay a few bucks for it)

Imagine having to pay a few hundred dollars for a month supply of a single life-saving medication, in a several-medication/day regimen

17. free816

free816 New Member

The right wing loud mouths will argue health care in this country isn't a right as well

18. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

It's a crying shame, cousin

People are literally dying or suffering because they can't afford what they need

Who would want to make that call? That's a heartless bastard

That's like refusing to treat OR patients because they have no money