Star Wars

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Thump, Dec 13, 2015.

1. goodlove

goodlove New Member

i heard the bm came off as a jigaboo..a token is a more accurate description i heard

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  2. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I loved it! I don't think that Finn came off as a jiggaboo or anything like that. He came off as a guy who was a cog in a machine who felt no attachment to its goal or mission as an enslaved military conscript. When he finds something worth fighting for and is free to choose, he shows incredible bravery.

3. goodlove

goodlove New Member

thats the problem. he came off as weak. look at him on the poster.

4. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Gotta agree with GL on this one. He came off as cowardly and I was so disappointed to see him with the light saber and be so wack.
    Guess I was expecting too much to see a well rounded non thug black guy in an action / sci-fi film.
    Overall it was a good film just expected more from the Finn character

5. goodlove

goodlove New Member

yeah...thats what i was hearing too.

6. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

The issues with Finn's heroism is directly tied to Rey. The reason the story had them so closely linked together was for contrast (figuratively and literally). She could only be as good at being a hero as he was bad at it.

This contrasting hero dynamic, is Hollywood's attempt to correct gender imbalances with it's portrayal of heroes. Unfortunately (for Finn) this plot device requires that a male hero "sacrifice" his opportunity for heroism, to insure that the female hero get's her chance to shine.

Hopefully by the time Episode 8 comes out, the filmmakers will realize that heroism isn't a zero sum equation.

7. goodlove

goodlove New Member

im gonna go see it and just enjoy it but im with tdk overall

8. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

I would have honestly rather Finn be a white character than an asexual, platonic sidekick and part time garbage man. Shit, Lea was more capable and swash buckling in the earlier films than Finn was in this. WTF?

On the other hand, I'm glad John Boyega got the exposure. He's a great young talent.

9. goodlove

goodlove New Member

yeah i was hearing the same thing. im glad for him too

10. goodlove

goodlove New Member

the racists nerds were mad that a bm and a bw were in the movie but im sure they are happy at the way it is.

11. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

Am I the first female to post in this thread? LOL.

I'm not a huge Star Wars fan. I don't live and breathe the franchise.

That being said, I have seen all of the movies, including the new one.

I have to say, this new movie completely wiped the slate clean after the disastrous last 3 movies.

I'm also happy that Disney said "see ya, wouldn't want to be ya" to George Lucas. I think that was about the best decision they could have made (aside from stealing JJ Abrams away from the Star Trek franchise). I think Lucas lost his touch with his last 3 films.

Not being a nerd girl about those movies, whilst I was watching The Force Awakens and hearing the iconic theme song, I couldn't help but feel giddy about the next movie.

This movie may be making a fangirl out of me yet.

12. goodlove

goodlove New Member

overall i heard it was a good movie

13. The Dark King

Exactly like I said so disappointing that they didn't portray him as more capable especially as being a trained intergalactic soldier. Why was he fumbling around so damn much. We truly do have to make our own films

14. goodlove

goodlove New Member

i was thinking the same thing.

15. orejon4

I think it was intended to show both his moral opposition to the empire's conduct, as well as the fact that he was basically a conscript, since the empire is now enslaving, rather than using cloned soldiers.

16. The Dark King

I get it but like I said really disappointing. I wanted to see a bad ass strong character kind of like Hon Solo

17. orejon4

Maybe cast John Boyega as Poe Dameron instead, with Oscar Isaac as Finn?

18. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

You do realize there are two more movies, right? His character is just emerging.

Give it a chance.

19. The Dark King

That I could deal with

20. The Dark King

I get it but as a life long fan boy of sci fi in general I just want our characters to have some damn balls. Just tired of the emasculated black guy type cast. Nobody is swooning over that guy and can't say I blame them. He was a coward the entire movie and got his ass handed to him the minute he took a stance. Pathetic
    But like you said there are two more movies so there's hope