Star Wars

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Thump, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

It's interesting how the life of a story takes on a life of its own. I don't think George Lucas could've ever counted on this. Perhaps he did, I don't know.

2. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

He definitely realizes it now. He exercised pretty strict control over the canon up until he sold it.

3. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I remember an interview with Peanuts creator Charles M. Schultz. He stated that if he died, the Peanuts gang dies with him. The Peanuts gang is bac now. I wonder if an heir to the Schultz family is in charge?

4. orejon4

These stories mean so much to fans that they take on a life of their own.

5. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I think that it has a lot to do with the fans. It has nothing to do with mythology, but The feelings certain characters, films, shows and songs bring out. I mean, look at The Andy Griffith Show. Here was a show that was launched from an episode of The Danny Thomas Show(that had spawned two other shows; Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C., Mayberry RFD). The town of Mayberry was very mythic. And it will never change as long as the fans have their say.

6. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]GQQMLE4FuIQ[/YOUTUBE]

Official Press Release

Rey took her first steps into a larger world in Star Wars: The Force Awakens and will continue her epic journey with Finn, Poe and Luke Skywalker in the next chapter of the continuing Star Wars saga, Star Wars: Episode VIII, which began principal photography at Pinewood Studios in London on February 15, 2016.

Star Wars: Episode VIII, which is written and directed by Rian Johnson and continues the storylines introduced in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, welcomes back cast members Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong'o, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, Gwendoline Christie, and Andy Serkis. New cast members will include Academy Award® winner Benicio Del Toro, Academy Award® nominee Laura Dern, and talented newcomer Kelly Marie Tran.

Star Wars: Episode VIII is produced by Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman and executive produced by J.J. Abrams, Jason McGatlin and Tom Karnowski. Joining the production crew will be some of the industry's top talent, including Steve Yedlin (Director of Photography), Bob Ducsay (Editor), Rick Heinrichs (Production Designer), Peter Swords King (Hair and Make-Up Designer), and Mary Vernieu (US Casting Director). They will be joining returning crew members Pippa Anderson (Co-Producer, VP Post Production), Neal Scanlan (Creature & Droid FX Creative Supervisor), Michael Kaplan (Costume Designer), Jamie Wilkinson (Prop Master), Chris Corbould (SFX Supervisor), Rob Inch (Stunt Coordinator), Ben Morris (VFX Supervisor), and Nina Gold (UK Casting Director).

Star Wars : Episode 8 is scheduled for release December 15, 2017.

7. Hypestyle

Hypestyle New Member

so is Rogue One still happening? I hope so. I'd like to see more stories that are about folks other than the main cast (and their heirs apparent)

8. Westie

Westie Member

I'm hoping to see more Phasma. After all the hype about Gwendolyn Christie's role, only to see her character get body-checked by a Wookie. :smt036

9. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

It comes out in December.

I think Disney's plan is to have some Star Wars related film out every year until and maybe a bit after the current trilogy is done. A movie focusing on the early smuggling days of Han Solo is in the planning works. In the rumor stages about a possible Yoda film or an Obi Wan (The years between Episode III & IV) film also to come.

10. orejon4

I'm psyched to see this one!

11. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

[youtube]/rVzbyDq3QSY[/youtube]

Star Wars: The Force Awakens to Be Released on Home Video in April
    03/2016

Like BB-8 dashing through the sands of Jakku, Star Wars: The Force Awakens is coming to home video.

The record-breaking seventh episode of the Star Wars series will be released on Digital HD April 1 and on Blu-ray Combo Pack and DVD April 5.

The home release of The Force Awakens also includes a full-length documentary about the making of the film, plus deleted scenes and exclusive interviews with the cast and crew.

Released in December, The Force Awakens became the highest-grossing movie of all time in North America by early January.

Link

12. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]MaYv3Y8tyoQ[/YOUTUBE]

13. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]Wji-BZ0oCwg[/YOUTUBE]

14. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Darn, I was really hoping we would get to see Darth Vader in the trailer.

It's cool that they are adding female leads to action movies, but do they have to be so one-note? I hope the characters have more personality in the actual movie. I like seeing Forest Whitaker, he always makes a movie better.

I also like the continuing trend of racial diversity. It reminds me when a few years back, an Asian friend of mind commented on how weird it was that so much of Jedi concepts are based on eastern martial arts and religion, yet there weren't any Asian actors in Star Wars.

15. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

Agreed too many one-dimensional quotas these days in films.

16. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

I don't know why but this looks like a fan made movie you'd see on YouTube.

17. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

I don't want to see anything that has anything to do with Death Stars or anything remotly prequel-ish. There has got to be more material out there to film. Sheesh!

18. orejon4

I'm with you. When Dark Horse had the comic rights, the stories were much more varied and included alien races, non-Force users, drugs, criminal syndicates, and more. It really fleshed out the universe. Other than an occasional Death Star shot, I really want to see more about the Black Sun, the Hutts, Mandalores, the Rebellion, secret agents, etc.

I have always wondered how the human race's presence would be explained, period, without some reference to the planet Earth. I mean, do they expect us to believe that there exists precisely the same ethnic variation we have here on Earth without them being "earthlings"? Lol. I mean, at least give us some sort of "...Terrans went to colonize a faraway planet in the Milky Way system backstory". :p

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  19. glt1980

glt1980 Well-Known Member

You gotta remember though Disney paid $4 billion for Lucas films, they are most likely gonna want to recoup that before you take on any risk. The quickest way to recoup that is by making movies and merchandise that would be familiar and appealing even the the most casual of fans and non fans of star wars. That being said Rogue One is them taking a risk a smaller one but still a risk.

From all reports this film will probably be a departure from all the other star wars films we have already seen. Less emphasis on the Jedi, Lightsaber battles and the force and more of a darker and gritty war movie. More about the rebellion, spies, and the harsh reality of the life as it was under the Empire. The first scene in the trailer is someone reading all the things that Jyn has been charged with by the empire, the Mon Mothma basically recruiting this criminal. In all the other movies it has been totally black and white the empire evil the rebels good. This movie seems to be graying things up.

I am actually looking forward to it myself while I do love the movies but we never really got the sense that the Empire was so evil or harsh in them. This movie seemingly will change that even in the trailer you can see a bit of the brutality of the Empire and the just how hard the fight was during the during the rebellion.

As to why Vader (who is rumored to have a part in this) not being in the trailer, well it makes sense. Don't give away too much because it is after all the first teaser trailer the official trailer probably wont be available until this fall. Also remember Han Solo and Chewy did not appear in the first TFA teaser they appeared in the second one.

20. orejon4

Good points. I wonder who that is in the scene shown from behind with the black cloak and hood. The Emperor?