The animal awareness thread

Discussion in 'Science, Technology, and Green Energy' started by Unique4ever, Jul 22, 2013.

1. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

i am sick to my stomach after this last story...i would kill that dude with my bare hands if that happened to my dog...or anybodys dog...unbelievable...my dog is family...people are just nuts...seriously thinking that i might have to give up meat all together...

2. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

At least ur being fair

In some countries, the animals we eat are viewed/have been viewed as sacred

I've read that this whole dog eating thing in china is a matter of the haves and have-nots

The haves who are able to afford dogs as pets versus the poor who still rely on dogmeat

There's a ton of articles on the stuff and it looks like class warfare is involved

With that said, there's no need to torture animals. We eat meat here but our slaughtering methods are seen as humane. Skinning animals and mutilating them while they're alive is unnecessary

3. Unique4ever

Unique4ever Well-Known Member

I hate to be the party pooper, but.......

Cow Transport and Slaughter

Cattle who survive feedlots, dairy sheds, and veal farms face a hellish trip to the slaughterhouse. They are crammed onto trucks where they typically go without food, water, or rest for the duration of the journey, which can sometimes be days. Many cows collapse in hot weather; in the cold, cows sometimes freeze to the sides of the truck until workers pry them off with crowbars.

By the time the exhausted cows reach the slaughterhouse, many are too sick or injured to walk. These cows, known to the meat and dairy industries as “downers,” often have ropes or chains tied around their legs so that they can be dragged off the trucks.

Of those animals who arrive at the slaughterhouse healthy enough to walk, many are frightened and don’t want to leave the truck, so they are shocked with electric prods or dragged off with chains. “Uncooperative animals are beaten, they have prods poked in their faces and up their rectums,” says a former USDA inspector.

After they are unloaded, cows are forced through a chute and shot in the head with a captive-bolt gun meant to stun them. But because the lines move so quickly and many workers are poorly trained, the technique often fails to render the animals insensible to pain. Ramon Moreno, a longtime slaughterhouse worker, told The Washington Post that he frequently has to cut the legs off completely conscious cows. “They blink. They make noises,” he says. “The head moves, the eyes are wide and looking around. … They die piece by piece.”

Another worker, Martin Fuentes, told the Post that many animals are still alive and conscious for as long as seven minutes after their throats have been cut. “The line is never stopped simply because an animal is alive.” Because the industry makes more money the more animals it kills, workers who stop to alert officials to abuses at their slaughterhouse risk losing their jobs. The meat industry thrives on a workforce made up largely of impoverished and exploited workers, many of them immigrants who can never complain about poor working conditions or cruelty to animals for fear of being deported.

The best way to help put an end to this cruelty is to stop eating meat and other animal products. Order PETA’s free vegetarian/vegan starter kit today for great tips and free recipes to help you make the transition to an animal-friendly diet.

4. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Oh well....more dog and cow meat for me

5. Unique4ever

[​IMG]

Since I don't know anyone who deserves my full attention or my money today, I decided to make a donation to cruelty-free international who are trying to put an end to animal testing for cosmetics :heart:

6. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

You bloody rock! :freehug:
    Do you have the link for that org, will share it on FB....especially because a group l belong to are having a debate right now over whether to highlight companies who do test, or focus on those that dont.

Anyway have so much more to add tomorrow on some posts made here...

Love to all my fellow animal lovers! ?

7. Unique4ever

Sure I have. That would be awesome!

http://www.crueltyfreeinternational.org

8. Unique4ever

Dolphin Trainers Filmed Allegedly Abusing Animals At Marine Park

A video taken by the horrified neighbors of a marine park in Mallorca, Spain, allegedly shows trainers hitting, kicking and jumping on captive dolphins.

"A neighbor was disturbed about the yelling and hitting of the animals that she was hearing all the time, so she decided to film the park," Jennifer Berengueras of SOSdelfines told The Dodo. "The footage is a combination from sources inside and outside the park."

Berengueras said the sources witnessed training sessions that used violence and verbal abuse toward the dolphins. In the video, trainers can be heard yelling expletives.

[YOUTUBE]dm1Pmw0Ou90[/YOUTUBE]

9. Skylight

Skylight Active Member

that's barbaric

are there are animal rights groups in China that are working to change these barbaric practices?

China needs to really keep its one child policy in place. I know it sounds mean but there are 1.3 billion Chinese. That's 300 million + 300 million + 300 million + 300 million + 100 million to the United States' 330 million. And most people in China are clustered around their main cities.. they're not spread out over 50 states like we are even though China is actually about the same size as the US.

Just to show the magnitude the problem... I read somewhere that India added 100 million souls in a decade to their population. They can barely build hospitals with the required number of beds and doctors that can sustain an additional 100 million... let alone have enough hospitals for the 1.2 billion already living.

that kind of population growth should only happen if the country can handle that many people at once. But once people start eating cats and dogs then you have a problem.

The problem with the 1 child policy is the birth ratio of 106 men to 100 women in China. It's probably worse in urban areas. And none of it is natural. I've read that people think it's due to gender selective abortion and it's a recipe for disaster. The word for that is gendercide. So Chinese parents need to stop being sexist towards unborn Chinese females.

---------------

correction, this CNN article says its 118 men to 100 women.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/14/opinion/littlejohn-gendercide-women/

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  10. Skylight

Skylight Active Member

11. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Sterilize everybody

It's the only way to be sure

12. Unique4ever

Thanks for the info, but this is the animal awareness thread.
    It was created for those in this world who can't speak for themselves and need our support.
    Please don't turn it into another thread about politics or cultures since we already have many of those ;)

13. Skylight

Skylight Active Member

I understand the need to stay focused on campaigning against animal cruelty in general. I'm simply highlighting the larger issue with respect to the dog being skinned alive, which is that population pressures are driving barbaric acts against cats and dogs in China.

One tangent to population pressures is that female fetuses are being aborted. So, it might appear off topic, but they're all connected. It wasn't my intention to dim the spotlight on animal cruelty.

There's really no need to be hostile to my post. It was merely meant to highlight the larger picture. Thank you.

14. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

15. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

16. Unique4ever

Huh? :confused:

I'm really confused now, but if you see my post as hostile, I sure hope you will never say the wrong things to the wrong people on this forum.
    Good luck.

17. Skylight

Skylight Active Member

.... no offense was taken. keep up the good work... WWBM love conquers :smt001

18. Skylight

Skylight Active Member

19. Skylight

Skylight Active Member

dolphin rescue

[YOUTUBE]2BiMEeirC_M[/YOUTUBE]

20. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Thanks. Shared their FB page.

Here is another one on fur-free retailers..

http://m.humanesociety.org/issues/fur_fashion/tips/fur-free_shopping.html#.VOkmxV2ILEM.facebook

(Was going to put it in your anti-fur thread)

Such a lovely ending. Cats are smart and loving, and this one proved it once again.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015