The animal awareness thread

Discussion in 'Science, Technology, and Green Energy' started by Unique4ever, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I recall a local tv news story in 1977. It involved a man arrested for abusing his dog. The dog had broken ribs and lost an eye because the man threw a tire at the dog. The man explained that he "simply wanted to make the dog mean."
    A man who was in control of a mean animal was a boost to a man's ego. He was an Alpha Male on the surface. But a mean man at heart.

2. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I was driving once and saw a man walking his pitbull around the block with a thick chain tied to a huge ass tire that he had the dog drag behind him. I followed them from a distance to take pics and the man caught on and kept mean muggiing me, then took the dog inside. I definitely spooked him.

3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

4. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

5. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  6. Unique4ever

Unique4ever Well-Known Member

7. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I love your passion. One day if l can find the story you posted about the crying cow...you/it affected me in so many ways after reading it.

8. Unique4ever

The one about the cow that should be slaughtered and made even the guy who was supposed to kill her cry? Yeah, that was pretty moving.

Maybe it was this

http://living-vegan.blogspot.de/2012/03/bull-who-cried.html

I realized that for some reason a lot of the daily news don't effect me that much anymore, maybe after 11/9 and all the pics from wars all over the world got me numb in some way.
    But I can never see an animal suffering.

9. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Yes, that's it! Thanks for this, I am going to share it. It has haunted me ever since you posted it. It has over time, changed my life to the point where I no longer eat meat. You have no clue how much you have affected me over the last several months, and this thread is an incredible haven of selfless animal activism. I have been trying to find a quote that I think sums up something you said here... I will eventually find it and post it.

10. Unique4ever

:freehug:I have to wait until I can rep you again.
    Love you bunches :smt049

11. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Thanks for the love. I tried twice before in my life briefly, ,but would eventually revert back.. Each time though, l felt more guilty and awful eating it knowng the truth on my plate. I finally said no more excuses and selfishness. Can't feel and cry for them, but then eat them. Just didn't want to be a party to it anymore. I eat with a true sense of peace now.

12. Unique4ever

All These Gifts Were Given To An 8-Year-Old Girl By Crows

[​IMG]

Since the age of four, Gabi Mann of Seattle has forged a relationship with the neighborhood crows by offering them food. Then suddenly something unexpected happened — the crows, in an apparent act of reciprocation, started to present various trinkets to Gabi in return.

As BBC's Katy Sewall reports, it all started quite innocently when, as a four-year-old, Gabi would drop food to the ground and the crows would scramble to gobble it up. Years later, she would offer them scraps of her packed lunch on the way to school. By 2013, Gabi and her mom Lisa were offering food to the crows on a daily basis.

And that's when the gifts starting appearing. As Sewall writes:

The crows would clear the feeder of peanuts, and leave shiny trinkets on the empty tray; an earring, a hinge, a polished rock. There wasn't a pattern. Gifts showed up sporadically - anything shiny and small enough to fit in a crow's mouth.

One time it was a tiny piece of metal with the word "best" printed on it. "I don't know if they still have the part that says 'friend'," Gabi laughs, amused by the thought of a crow wearing a matching necklace.

When you see Gabi's collection, it's hard not to wish for gift-giving crows of your own.

[​IMG]

No doubt, Gabi's collection is quite impressive. She considers them her treasures, and she meticulously stores, labels, and categorizes each object in a bead storage container. One bag contains a broken light bulb with the caption, "Black table by feeder. 2:30 p.m. 09 Nov 2014." Other objects include paperclips, buttons, earrings, and worn glass. One trinket, a screw, is marked as "third favorite," because as Gabi puts it, "You don't see a crow carrying around a screw that much. Unless it's trying to build its house."

As for her very favorite, that's a pearl colored heart, which shows her "how much they love me."

So why are the crows exhibiting this remarkable behavior? Sewall quotes John Marzluff, a professor of wildlife science at the University of Washington who says, "If you want to form a bond with a crow, be consistent in rewarding them." He and his colleagues have shown that crows and people can form personal relationships and that they're capable of understanding each other's signals.

13. Skylight

Skylight Active Member

that's amazing...
    ... sometimes I think we humans don't understand what's around us... how precious all forms of life are

14. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Totally agree with bluesky. Amazing find, Unique. Oh and Love your Avi!

15. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

Wow. I'm speechless

16. Skylight

Skylight Active Member

:smt023:smt023

wow

Thank you Bliss! And I second that!

17. Unique4ever

I think you are 100% correct on this one.
    People defend the exploitation of animals by saying how much more we are superior and evolved, but animals know the basic values of life: how to defend their families, how to show affection and love. They are grateful and true friends without hidden agendas.
    Sometimes I think they are so much smarter than us.

Thank you girlfriend :freehug:

I know the feeling. Nature often has that effect on me as well :smt001
    We have some crows and magpies in our backyard.
    I already thought about trying to become friends with them now :D

18. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

The crows here aren't human friendly. Most hunters shot them because the alarm the wild hunters are in the woods. I would love to have a couple around to fight the hawks away. Lol

19. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

i love this story of the crows bringing treasures to this little girl unique...it is just pure joy...so innocent...it will shape who she is as a person for certain...at least her relationship with other heartbeats...

it's kind of how I feel about the squirrels that live in our big maple tree in the backyard...they know they are safe in our yard...if they lived next door not so safe...they play with our dog every day...

thanks for the rep! i will be in touch:smt061

20. Unique4ever

Sam Simon, Who Helped Shape ‘The Simpsons,’ Dies at 59

Sam Simon, who was a creative force behind “The Simpsons” and who left the show after its fourth season in a lucrative arrangement that allowed him to spend much of the rest of his life giving his money away, died on Sunday. He was 59.

His death was announced by the Sam Simon Foundation, the organization through which he donated his money. It did not say where he died or specify the cause, although Mr. Simon learned a few years ago that he had colon cancer.

Mr. Simon put his money toward his passions. He started a foundation that trained dogs to help people who are disabled, including veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and he gave generously to the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society and People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, among other groups.

One beneficiary of his philanthropy, The Sea Shepherd Society, which opposes whale hunting, named one of its boats for Mr. Simon. (Others are also named for celebrity supporters.)
    In 2011, the Simon foundation started a program that provides low-income families with free vegan meals. After Mr. Simon received his cancer diagnosis, he announced his intention to give nearly all of his “Simpsons” royalties to charity.

May your wonderful soul rest in peace Mr. Simon :(

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015