The animal awareness thread

Discussion in 'Science, Technology, and Green Energy' started by Unique4ever, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Unique4ever

Unique4ever Well-Known Member

:smt043:smt043:smt043

2. Unique4ever

3. goodlove

goodlove New Member

really? all soap or just perfume soap?

4. Unique4ever

Doe made famous for living in cemetery shot dead

:(

KANSAS CITY, MO (KCTV)

A doe that got national attention after she made friends with a stray dog and the two hung out in a cemetery has been shot and killed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Security staff at the cemetery found her Sunday evening just feet from the cemetery's chapel. She survived an attack earlier this year. Cemetery officials said they are heartbroken at the cruel and senseless crime.

"She had been shot once through the right shoulder. You can't try to make sense out of it," said Bruce Mathews, a cemetery board of trustees member. "Someone with a hard heart and a confused mind. I'm being kind when I say that. She meant something different to everybody who came down here. . . . The rational mind can't make sense of anything like this. Who would do it?"

Ella had been living in Kansas City's Elmwood Cemetery for more than two years and had become almost a tourist attraction for the area.

"She has been a presence here ever since," Mathews said. "I like to say that she was a wild animal, not a pet. But she was family."

She was very docile and cemetery officials said they didn't think she'd survive in the wild.

"I think she stayed because she was born here. It was the only home she ever knew. She loved people but didn't like the cars or the mowers. She was something very special to the cemetery," Mathews said.

Ella was born Memorial Day 2011. Cemetery officials don't know exactly how her mother got into the cemetery.

When Ella was 3 months old, her mother was struck and killed by a vehicle on Truman Road, leaving the young doe an orphan. She stayed around the cemetery and seldom left, even following mourners or those tending graves or attending weddings at the chapel. She loved the chapel area.

"Whenever we had a wedding or funeral at Armour chapel, she would come and stand in the doorway and watch the whole proceedings," said Mathews, who had championed Ella's cause and took numerous pictures of her."If there was a funeral, she would blend in and become part of the proceedings. That was part of her charm."

Some had asked why she wasn't taken to a wildlife preserve.

"We were told early on by the department of conservation not to try to catch her. For good or bad, this was her home," Mathews explained.

And soon her final resting place. Mathews knows her spirit will linger.

"We will miss her, but we hope people remember the joy she brought to their lives," Mathews said. "She brought life to this place of the dead. She was born here. This is the only home she ever knew. She'll be here."

Police have few leads, and Mathews doesn't know if the killer will ever be caught.

"In the grand scheme of things, this is nothing like a grieving mother," he said. "We have too many in this part of town that have lost a child from a senseless act of violence."

A group of people who said they cherish the deer after spending some time with her have already put together a Facebook group in hopes of raising some money for a memorial for her at Elmwood Cemetery. Many are voicing their outrage over the shooting on the page.

More than 36,000 people are buried at Elmwood Cemetery. Wayside Waifs will cremate Ella, and her ashes will be scattered near her favorite places at the cemetery.

The dog that began hanging out with the deer at the cemetery last year was taken to the Wayside Waifs animal shelter when people got worried how she would cope with the upcoming winter. The dog was named Moxie and is now living with a family.

If you have any information that could help capture Ella's killer, call the TIPS Hotline at 816-474-TIPS. The cemetery has received offers of up to $1,500 in rewards, but hasn't established anything yet.

The board will meet later this week to consider how best to remember Ella.

5. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Senseless.......

:smt022 </3

May her killer rot in hell! Just rot, I tell ya!

She brought such peace to the grieving...
    I love that her ashes will be scattered all over her birthplace. <3

6. Unique4ever

I wish that for all those trigger happy hunting bastards.
    May karma fuck them.....badly :smt099

7. Unique4ever

Baby Deer, 'Giggles,' Killed After Raid On St. Francis Society Animal Shelter

[​IMG]

The story of how 13 armed law enforcement agents reportedly raided an animal shelter to capture and then kill a 35-pound baby deer has some questioning whether the state used excessive force.

The raid occurred July 15 when nine Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources agents and four local sheriff's deputies stormed the St. Francis Society animal shelter in Bristol, Wis., to remove "Giggles," a baby deer that was being held in violation of Wisconsin state law.

"It was a nightmare. They closed down the shelter for two-and-a-half hours and scared everyone to death," the shelter's president, Cindy Schulze, told The Huffington Post over the phone on Thursday.

Schulze said all shelter employees were corralled near the parking lot while agents went through the property. When a young volunteer took photos of the raid on his phone, Schulze said officers took his phone and deleted the pictures.

Before long, Schulze said, agents could be seen bringing out a body bag with something inside. It turned out to be the deer. Schulze said the employees assumed the deer was dead, but they learned by watching the news that the deer had only been sedated and was later put to death.

"What were they doing with a live baby deer in a bag?" she asked. "That deer must have been terrified."

The search warrant for the raid, obtained by The Huffington Post, lists a Wisconsin state law forbidding the possession of wildlife without proper permits as the reason for the raid. The warrant says the Department of Natural Resources had received two anonymous tips that the St. Francis shelter had a wild deer on its premises and that one of the callers said the shelter's staff would attempt to hide the animal if agents came to seize the it, according to the warrant.

The question that Schulze and others want answered is, why was it necessary to kill the deer? While the Department of Natural Resources did not respond to our request for comment, Jennifer Niemeyer, the department's local warden supervisor, told local news outlet WISN-TV that state law requires the agency to euthanize animals "because of the potential for disease and danger to humans."

On its Facebook page, the department notes that its agents requested voluntary compliance from the shelter's employees, and when that didn't happen, its staff "took precautions to keep everyone safe" as they executed the warrant.

"None of our staff take joy in these situations," the agency wrote. "In the end, we are charged by the citizens of Wisconsin to carry out state laws mandated by the legislature."

Schulze acknowledged that Wisconsin state law allows only 24 hours to transfer a wild animal to a vet or other organization with proper documentation, and she admits to having kept the deer for two weeks. However, she says because the shelter is registered in Illinois (its property is across the street from the Illinois border, Schulze said) and since the deer came from an Illinois family that had found the animal separated from its mother, St. Francis should have had more than 24 hours to transfer the fawn to a licensed organization.

Schulze said the shelter had planned to send the fawn to an Illinois wildlife rehabilitation facility the day after the raid took place.

8. Alinoa

Alinoa New Member

I've stayed out of this thread for as long as I could because of the two above stories.

But I know that there are good animal awareness stories.
    When I come across one I will post it.

9. christine dubois

christine dubois Well-Known Member

I've heard on the News that today it's "the world Cats day"

10. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

The fuc!

Christopher Dillingham Blew Up Family Dog, Won't Face Animal Cruelty Charges: Police

[​IMG]

The Huffington Post | By Andy Campbell 08/06/2013

A Washington State man arrested for allegedly attaching explosives to the family dog and blowing him up won't face animal cruelty charges because the dog didn't suffer, a law enforcement official said. :confused: :mad:

Christopher W. Dillingham, 45, of Stevenson, was charged with reckless endangerment and possession of an explosive device after the incident Sunday, according to KATU.

Sheriff's deputies responded to Dillingham's home at about 4 a.m. when neighbors heard an explosion. Body parts of the Labrador Retriever, named Cabella, were found strewn across the yard.

Investigators say Dillingham -- who owns a fireworks stand and has a history of domestic violence -- attached an explosive device to Cabella's neck and detonated it.

Dillingham told deputies that his ex-girlfriend gave him the dog and "put the devil in it," KOIN reports.

Undersheriff Dave Cox told the station that Dillingham wasn't initially charged with animal cruelty because the "death [to the dog] was instantaneous." He said prosecutors may add more charges later.

UPDATE: Skamania County prosecutors tell KATU that they initially chose charges that would lead to a higher bail for Dillingham. He's still not charged with animal cruelty, but Prosecuting Attorney Adam Kick said the charge is still on the table and "absolutely applicable."

Children in Dillingham's home were reportedly unharmed.

Cabella's former owner, Ty Freemantle, was in tears when he heard the news. He told KATU that he gave the dog to Dillingham's family six months ago. He said he had to move suddenly, and his best friend recommended he give Cabella to the Dillinghams. :(

He vetted the property and met Dillingham's ex-girlfriend, but said it wasn't enough.

"I felt a little bit of guilt too. It's the worst part," he told the station.

Investigators from three agencies -- including the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives -- found several pieces of evidence at the property Sunday, KPTV reports. On Monday, Dillingham's bail was set at $500,000.

[​IMG]

Just an absolute sub-human POS! ^ He'll get his.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...-up-dog_n_3713681.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

11. Alinoa

Alinoa New Member

I can't. Not even just a little.

Animals are so defenseless in most cases against humans. I just...
    I'm at a loss for words.

12. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

100% co-sign!
    Not sure if you are referring to the dog blown up story specifically, but if you are, it's scary to me that this man did this knowing his children would see it.

Could you imagine growing up and HAVING a parent BLOW UP your dog you have bonded with for six months...seeing their bloody body parts strewn all over where you play...AND played with the dog? What nightmares and trauma are they inflicting?? On every living thing around them! :smt009

I can't is right, on sooo many levels.

13. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

UPDATE!

Portland Local News

WA man who blew up dog to face cruelty charges
    by KGW Staff
    Bio | Email | Follow: @KGWNews

Updated yesterday at 7:07 PM

STEVENSON, Wash. -- In a reversal, a Stevenson man accused of blowing up his dog will face cruelty charges after all, the Skamania County prosecutor told KGW.

A spokesman for the sheriff's office previously said Christopher Wayne Dillingham was not charged with animal abuse because there was no proof the dog suffered. The dog was reportedly killed instantly.

County officials told KGW they received hundreds of complaints from the people across the country questioning how Dillingham could not face cruelty charges after reportedly blowing up his dog.
    :freehug:

In court papers, investigators said Dillingham attached a fireworks bomb to the dog's collar early Sunday and set it off with a blast that alarmed neighbors.

Dillingham said he killed the dog because an ex-girlfriend had "put the devil in it." He also said he was preparing for the rapture.

In addition to animal cruelty, Dillingham also faces felony charges for possession of a bomb or explosive device with intent to use for an unlawful purpose. If convicted, the 45-year-old could face up to 20 years in prison. He's also charged with reckless endangerment.

Dillingham appeared in court Monday in Stevenson and was ordered held on $500,000 bail.

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/WA-man-blew-up-dog-cruelty-charges-218762421.html

:smt023

14. Unique4ever

YES! That's awesome news Bliss :smt038
    Thanks for the update!

15. Unique4ever

I totally understand they way you feel.
    A part of me gets incredibly sad whenever I have to read stories like these.
    The 5 year old in me wants to curl up in bed and cry about all the injustice.
    It's heartbreaking and disturbing.
    Another part of me wants to get involved and fight for those who don't have a voice.

16. wtarshi

wtarshi Well-Known Member

Yes, all of this as well as anger, I get very angry. I've been known to approach people if I see them mistreating any animal

17. Unique4ever

Same here. You know what I hate the most? If you get to hear "It's just a damn animal". I swear I go ballastic hearing those words! :smt071

18. Unique4ever

Careful this video is a tearjerker! (but in a good way)

[YOUTUBE]c_4ZgY5VOa4[/YOUTUBE]

19. Unique4ever

And another one:

[YOUTUBE]6vV1V3iBrSM[/YOUTUBE]

20. Unique4ever

[YOUTUBE]bU_3I24KkPM[/YOUTUBE]