The animal awareness thread

Discussion in 'Science, Technology, and Green Energy' started by Unique4ever, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Day-old male chicks given reprieve from shredder in German State

[​IMG]

By Anne Sewell
    Sep 27, 2013

+
    Day-old male chicks are normally headed for the shredder shortly after they hatch, as industrial agriculture has no use for them. However, the state of North-Rhine Westphalia has passed a decree banning this practice and the chicks will live.

Normally the male chicks are thrown into the shredder, as they are not deemed to be suitable for meat production and cannot lay eggs.

[​IMG]

Many activists have in the past been fighting the cruel practice of throwing the chicks, still alive, into the shredding machines.

Now the whole process is likely to change, at least in North-Rhine Westphalia (NRW) in Germany.

A spokeswoman for the NRW environment ministry told The Local:
    "We are expecting a legal challenge, but would stand by our argument that it is unnecessary killing, and as such, outlawed by animal welfare laws."
    WAZ (in German) reported that Consumer Affairs Minister, Johannes Remmel said on Thursday:

"This practice is absolutely cruel to the creatures, who are treated as waste products of agriculture."

[​IMG]

However, the ministry spokeswoman did say that in a year's time, farmers in the state will have to feed the male chicks until they are suitable for slaughter.

The matter arose due to a case against a small hatchery in Münster, where the prosecutor said killing the male chicks broke animal protection laws, as there was no reasonable grounds to do so.

[​IMG]

Taz,de reported in German that under European law, chicks can be shredded or gassed. However a spokeswoman for the consumer affairs ministry said the state prosecutor believed this was not legitimate.

From now on the process of shredding the male chicks is banned in the region.

---

To get an idea of how brutal the process actually is, the video below was made in the Hy-Line International hatchery in Spencer, Iowa - WARNING, not for the faint-hearted:

[YOUTUBE]JJ--faib7to[/YOUTUBE]

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/359160#ixzz2g9KeXgRw

2. Unique4ever

Unique4ever Well-Known Member

I read about this.
    But even though I'm thankful for ending this cruel procedure, I don't know if living in tiny cages until you are big enough to get slaughtered is a bright future :???:

I'm very sad that the CDU party got the most votes last week.
    Out of all parties they are the worst when it comes to animal rights.
    They are against everything that could improve the life of animals in the meat industry.
    They are against bigger cages for chicken and other small animals in the meat industry, against limiting animal experiments, against a better anesthesia for slaughtered animals......the list goes on.
    Fucking bastards.
    And the C in CDU stands for Christians.....:smt009

3. Unique4ever

4. Unique4ever

Careful: Maybe you shouldn't watch this if you are sensitive and love animals.

Those who still believe in wearing fur and leather should watch this over and over

[YOUTUBE]59nXsfDn27M[/YOUTUBE]

5. Unique4ever

Its a dogs life for Tod the fox who was discovered dying after a road accident but was nursed back to health by a real life animal man

[​IMG]

When most people adopt an animal it is an abandoned cat, dog or even ferret but not Gary Zammit.

He nursed a young fox cub back to health - and even fed it using a baby's bottle - after he discovered the creature dying after being hit by a car.

In fact he gave it so much tender loving care, including washing its fur and trimming its nails, that Tod the fox now lives with Gary in his family home.

[​IMG]

These extra-ordinary pictures show one of the usually illusive creatures affectionately interacting with wildlife expert Gary, 42.

Tod sleeps in a dog basket in Gary's kitchen, and acts like a puppy.

It has even befriended an 11-year-old vixen called Lady, who Gary has also cared for since 2006.

Bid hearted Gary, who recently hand reared a baby heron and taught it to fly, said Tod really enjoys walking on a lead around the countryside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gary, who runs the Gwel an Mor wildlife park in Portreath, Cornwall, said: "When I thought he was ready to go outside I gently put a harness on him.

"He always pulls on the lead but it's much like walking a badly trained dog which wants to go off for a run.

"One of the most important things was that my other pet fox Vixen would have some company for her twilight years.

"But Tod is a typical annoying teenager who jumps all over her wanting to play."

Tod is the latest in a string of injured animals that Gary has nursed back to health, including minks, owls, and slow worms.

6. Unique4ever

7. Unique4ever

Stop Raccoon Dogs Being Skinned Alive for fake Ugg Boots!!!

http://www.change.org/petitions/sto...s-stop-killing-the-raccoon-dogs-for-fake-uggs

Graphic pictures and a video of raccoon dogs being skinned alive in China to make cheap imitation Ugg boots recently surfaced on the web.
    In scenes filmed by animal rights campaigners, the raccoon dogs are beaten with sticks and are writhing as workers cut them open and skin them.
    The animals are then thrown on a pile and can take up to three hours to die. The slow skinning process and begins from the feet up. The workers even stand on the animals' heads if they struggle too much.

Real Ugg boots, made from Australian sheepskin, can cost $250, but these imitation pairs are much cheaper and have flooded the market, especially in the U.K.
    An investigation by the Humane Society International (HSI) found a pair of imitation Ugg boots to contain raccoon dog fur, even though they were labeled 'Australian sheepskin.'
    HSI director Verna Simpson said dozens of products, aside from the boots, use imported raccoon dog fur and dog fur.
    Animal hair identification expert Han Brunner confirmed the boots contained raccoon dog fur: "They have been labeled Australian merino fur and that was on the inside of the boot, on the outside there were hairs from the raccoon dog.""I think surely that should make an impact on customs especially after the cattle slaughtering in Indonesia, dog raccoons are skinned alive and the carcass is thrown on a heap when they are still alive."

:smt088

This breaks my heart. Please sign the petition below if you feel the same way

https://www.change.org/petitions/st...s-stop-killing-the-raccoon-dogs-for-fake-uggs

8. Unique4ever

Some of the names/faces in this video were a surprise to me :(

[YOUTUBE]aFq7sUZXpTg[/YOUTUBE]

9. Mikemare

Mikemare New Member

[HDYT]-SXbVw4qojg[/HDYT]

10. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Loved the Filly rescue ^^^ Wish they used the actual video rather than in pic form ^

So depressing. The word is that fur is making a huge come-back, no thanks in part to these vultures who wear them. :smt012 It breaks my heart because impressionable young kids see them and want to emulate their horrid style.
    (ps: hope some of them were wearing fake fur, I was surprised at some too..other, not.)

Last night, when Miley Cyrus performed in NY for the televised NYE Bash (that one billion viewers watched)...
    she wore/performed in a huge white hooded fur coat with a long train. :smt078 I was appalled.
    Do they know how off-putting and ridiculous they look. It just disgusts me.

11. Unique4ever

Impressive video made by a 13 year old boy.
    Even though it's clay, it looks pretty graphic.

[YOUTUBE]SBQAaRf3fCc[/YOUTUBE]

12. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

HORSE LOVERS

FREE HORSES!!!! 52 thoroughbred horses need homes. Will go to Sugarcreek this Sat. for slaughter.Gentleman died and his son wants nothing to do with them. Most broodmares are broke and some are in foal weanling, yearlings, 2 yrs and 3 yrs old most are gelded.FREE and papered. Friend of the deceased is trying to find homes. 440-463-4288 Barnesville, OH. Please copy and paste this on your status. I believe this Horses deserve a home and a change for some of us to have them. if you own a land big enough for few of them please call the number about. thank you, and god bless you all.

[​IMG]

13. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Thank you for the heads up Lippy, my wife and her network of horse owner contacts are looking into this as I type! :smt023

14. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

YEAH! ...if homes are found for these horses then that my friend is the beauty of social media:-D

15. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Hey, update on the horses, when you call the number in post you get a message that the posting is over three years old and all the horses were successfully adopted three years ago.

16. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

:confused: well that's good news...very odd that my friend just put it on her wall this week...but like the telephone game she picked it up from someone that picked it up from someone else...i only posted it because there are a couple of horse enthusiasts here on the forum

thanks for the update!

17. Unique4ever

A warning to the horse owners out there:

[​IMG]

18. Black DeNiro

Black DeNiro Well-Known Member

19. Unique4ever

Thank you for sharing BD!
    Made my bunny loving heart's day :heart:

20. Black DeNiro