The Disposable Black Love Interest

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by qaz1, Mar 9, 2022.

1. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

I wasn't sure if this belonged in the TV or movie section, so I'm starting a new thread. If the mods think it's better someplace else, I urge them to move it. But anyway.....

This video essay says a lot of the things said on this board: media often uses Black love interests thoughtlessly. I think it's really worth a look. I'm interested to hear everyone's take on it.

Fair warning tho! They lean HEAVILY into the defense of Black women. I personally agree with them, but I know that's historically triggered some in these forums. I still say it's a worthwhile watch.

2. Skaddix

Skaddix Well-Known Member

Seems true to me

3. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

I think the problem is when they come off as anti-black male (which in some cases they do.). But this woman doesn't and I think most would agree with her. lol at "mediocre white guy". There is another video on youtube I think we posted here before where a black man breaks it down similar to how she did but showed more bm/ww disposable IRRs. Also kudos for her for pointing out the Fin & Rey star wars IR problem.

But it just goes to show what we have been saying on this board ain't wrong or a conspiracy theory. A lot of people notice the disposable black love interest. As I have said before which she and he ALSO highlighted is that some of these filmmakers and showrunners just put a IR together as just part of the white love story they REALLY want to tell. Like for example Zoe's Extraordinary Playlist.

BTW what movie/show are these scenes from:
    1:26 mark
    6:42 mark

4. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Jeffrey Tripp

Jeffrey Tripp Well-Known Member

I'm glad that the disposable Black love interest is so notable and getting attention. It's a situation that really ticks me off and it keeps happening over and over with consistency. Though this particulate video does lean more toward Black women when the situation is more anti- black male IMO.

6. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

I think highlighting it as she has done is the most bm/ww will ever see. lol. But I will find that video of the brotha that pointed this out as well and post it here. So as far as I know this is the 2nd time it has gotten attention.

7. Skaddix

I mean there is no way to know if its more Black Male or Black Females that get screwed without some comprehensive analysis.

Still the channel is more feminist focus so it makes sense they focus more on Black Females. The main point still stands though Black LIs get screwed.

8. Jeffrey Tripp

Jeffrey Tripp Well-Known Member

In my experience just about everything is more so anti- black male in society.

9. Skaddix

Well I am more a scientist at heart and by training so I don't put much stock in personal anecdotes.

Though sure I am inclined to agree with you.

10. Wallace West

Wallace West Member

Link to that video? That one with focus on bm/ww disposable IRRs