The Horror Files

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Tamstrong, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

2. Tamstrong

3. Tamstrong

4. Tamstrong

5. Tamstrong

6. Tamstrong

7. Tamstrong

8. Tamstrong

9. Tamstrong

10. Tamstrong

11. Tamstrong

12. Tamstrong

13. Tamstrong

14. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

It's actually the psychopathic homicidal shrink from Clive Barker's Nightbreed movie that was based off of his novella Cabal. I always thought that it was an effectively horrific mask that fit that character perfectly. Director David Croneberg is an added bonus as the character.

15. Tamstrong

I've read the novella but never watched the movie. I wasn't sure I wanted to see it since I tended to hate movie versions of books/stories I'd read. It came out around the time I was getting ready to off to school (a.k.a. to escape my parents' house, lol), and I honestly forgot all about it. It's not even been that long ago that I'd re-read it, and the movie still didn't come to mind. You're right; the mask is a perfect fit for him. I need to give the movie a watch.

The pic reminds me of a series I'd seen somewhere (I'm thinking it was on deviantart, but I'm not sure). Maybe that's where the artist got his/her inspiration. I'm going to dig around to see if I can find it again...those pics will fit the thread nicely.

16. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

17. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Yeah, Clive Barker is one of those writers whose concepts are very hard to put on film and do justice. The movie is so-so & not something that's a must see IMO. The one Clive Barker movie however that I wish they would re-do and try to do justice to is Rawhead Rex. The overall story was properly done but the design & FX for the Rawhead Rex creature came off looking too cartoony rather than being horrific & scary and killed the overall tone that the movie was going for.

18. Raudi

Raudi Member

19. Tamstrong

Yep, it's not often that the movie versions are worth watching. It sounds like I don't need to be in any kind of hurry to watch Nightbreed...you've yet to steer me wrong when recommending books, movies, or art. I've seen Rawhead Rex, and the cheesiness ruined it for me. It definitely has a lot of potential if someone would take the time to do it properly.

I need to dig out all my old horror movies and watch them again. lol

20. Raudi

Raudi Member