The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

Man, I loved those Milestone characters. Comic book stores in my area where just horrible about promoting than back in the day. And, even went as far as giving out the wrong info about the books when asked. They would get them confused with other, ghetto assed, thrown together, trashy black comic books. But, you can good and damn well bet they wouldn't get Image Comics mixed up with Valiant. But, you know, all those blacks are the same, right?

I still have all of my Icon and Staic (before they called him Static Shock) comics. They were great books and still hold well today. Staic was on some IR 'ish long before it as cool.

2. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I thought DC comics had the rights to the Milestone characters. I thought they were folded into the DC universe If I'm not mistaken Static appeared on Justice League (animated). And Icon and Rocket were on Young Justice (animated).

3. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

Maybe, the rights are set to expire. It's not like DC is doing anything with them. Are the Milestone characters involved in the New 52? I've not kept up with it.

Too many changes I didn't like. I'll dip in here and there but for the most part The New 52 lost me.

4. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

Static was in Teen titans and had his own comic in 52. They tried to set him up as the spiderman of DC. Didn't work but that was on their(DC) part.

5. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

An April 2014 quote from Michael Davis one of the co-founders of Milestone Media in answer to a question from Bleeding Coll .com about whether or not DC owned the Milestone Media characters :

"Milestone has a publishing deal with DC. That deal gives them certain rights to certain characters. Included in that deal is the right to publish. By no means does certain mean all. DC does not (nor have they ever) owned Milestone; because of that, they can only use what rights have been granted."

And also found this little fact about the DC/Milestone partnership deal.

Fundamental to Milestone’s agreement with DC was they would not relinquish any of the legal or creative rights to their work. Throughout the negotiations, Milestone insisted on three basic points:

1. that they would retain total creative control

2. that they would retain all copyrights for characters under the Milestone banner

3. that they would have the final say on all merchandising and licensing deals pertaining to their properties.

So based on that I would venture to guess that Dwayne McDuffie probably played a role in the whole Static animation series & appearances in the Justice League series, since he was heavily involved in production on both series at the time. Static, Icon & Rocket appearing in the Young Justice animated series was probably done as both a nod of respect to McDuffie for his animation involvement as well as Young Justice being set in an alternate reality Earth and not the primary DC Universe Earth, ala the original Justice League & Static animated series.

6. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Sansa Stark Is Young Jean Grey In X-Men : Apocalypse

[​IMG]

From USA Today.com.

Winter is coming...to the X-Men franchise.

Director Bryan Singer announced on Twitter Thursday that the latest installment in the X-Men movies, X-Men: Apocalypse, has cast young actors in three familiar roles, including a well-known face from HBO's Game of Thrones.

Singer revealed that Alexandra Shipp will play a young Storm, Tye Sheridan will play young Cyclops and Thrones actress Sophie Turner will play young Jean Grey. All three of the characters have appeared in other X-Men movies, played by Halle Berry, James Marsden and Famke Janssen, respectively.

Shipp appeared as the titular character in the recent Lifetime movie Aaliyah: The Princess of R&B, and Sheridan has appeared in several films including The Tree of Life and Mud. Fans are especially happy to hear about Turner, who is best known for her role as Sansa Stark on Thrones. The actress tweeted a very excited reaction shortly after Singer made the announcement.

The X-Men: Apocalypse story is set in the 1980s, which is the reason for the casting of younger versions of the three X-Men characters and possibly will cover how they came to the Xavier Institute.

7. EuroChick

EuroChick New Member

Nice!

8. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I'm enjoying the new 12 Monkeys series and the second season of Helix.

Yeah, that scene even got my cynical ass laughing.

9. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

I really need a la carte cable

10. orejon4

Totally agree. To hell with cable packages.

11. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Seriously lol

I know hbo and showtime are about to offer completely solo subscriptions via apps, without you having to have a basic cable pack

But with netflix at 7.99 for uncut movies and tv shows, it's going to be hard for hbo to justify outrageous prices

12. orejon4

Picture a world with $5 per channel pricing.

13. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

You can't even really justify that

Netflix is going to kill the industry lol

It's like a basic cable plus premium channel packages all in one for 8 bucks man

Unless u want to watch stuff as soon as it airs...it doesn't make sense to pay all that money anymore

14. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

I'm just waiting for sling tv from dishnetwork. They are offering most of the channels I want online.

15. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Netflix isn't all that. I also have Amazon prime and Hulu to fill in the gaps which I like. It's never good for anyone company to dominate the market. That's how we got shitty cable deals in the first place. It's the reason banking is so corrupt or why Microsoft can get away with shit os like windows 8

16. EuroChick

EuroChick New Member

I'm gonna need Showtime for David Lynch's new Twin Peaks season next year. :smt038

17. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Ha...I rented the DVDs a while back

The premium channels will come soon tho...they're realizing how much money there is to be made off people who only want nbc, fox and cbs, plus a premium channel

18. EuroChick

EuroChick New Member

Really?! Did you watch it? Did you like it?

19. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

I used to watch it on tv...so I decided to rent all the episodes plus the movie

It was the precursor to the x files (another favorite of mine) after all....which I'll end up binging on again lol

20. EuroChick

EuroChick New Member

NICE!!! I used to watch it on TV back in a day too. Then I watched the whole thing (with the movie) over again twice a few years back. I never got much into the X Files though, don't know why.