The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

still haven't gotten past 1 and 2. 2 is much better than 1. It is almost like playing dragon age. The price is too high for me to buy 3.

2. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Gamefly console rentals are perhaps the NUMBER ONE reason keeping me away from my epic return to pc gaming

I've literally had every new release shipped to me a day before they hit the street

Battlefield hardline, evolve, farming simulator (because I'm country as fuck), etc

I'm like you and rarely buy new games...so I pay 30/month for unlimited rentals

3. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Holy Race and Gender Swap Batman!!!

Various entertainment reports are circulating that actress Tilda Swinton is currently in negotiations with Marvel Studios to play the Ancient One in the forth coming Doctor Strange movie. Comic fans familiar with Doctor Strange, especially his origin, know that the Ancient One is a very ancient and powerful Asian male sorcerer responsible for teach Stephen Strange the ways of the mystic arts.

[​IMG]

4. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

Being sidetracked by other games is a good reason not to be playing. lol As long as you get back to it at some point, it's all good. TP sounds like a great distraction from racist assholes. Yeah, you definitely want to get that shield and stock up before you take on the temple. After I finish Link's Awakening I plan on playing Twilight Princess again. I haven't played it again since I completed it the first time.

5. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

She looks kind of manly. lol And with the right makeup, she could pass for Asian. :p

6. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

Maybe I should do a Skype call with you now and you can "watch" me play. Would make it all the more entertaining.

I am happy those things can take me to the beginning of the temple.

7. Morning Star

Couldn't they hire Mako?

Oh wait...he's no longer living. Well, let's see...who could they import?

8. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Well she's already played an androgynous angel in the Constantine movie, so who knows they could do the same with this.

Ken Watanabe was rumored to be someone they had their eye on to go with the traditional take on the role. Morgan Freeman's name was also thrown out as well as another possible non traditional take on the role.

9. Morning Star

You can't go wrong with Morgan Freeman.

10. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

When I first saw her in the film Constantine, as an angel, I thought she was more masculine than feminine. In the film The Limits Of Control, she looked more feminine. I had read that she was bisexual. She might be able to pull it off. Although an Asian actor would work also for the character of the Ancient One.

11. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I don't have an issue with the gender swap, but it's not like their are a lot of roles for Asian characters in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

12. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Sadly, there are none. I remember the most Asian s that I've seen in Marvel Comics was in the comic book Godzilla: King Of The Monsters and the 're-release of The Black Panther. T'Challa and Luke Cage travel around to hielp T'Challa find a wife. They meet an attractive Asian woman. She is everything T'Challa was looking for. But T'Challa declines and marries Storm.

13. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Shang Chi, the Master of Kung Fu?

The inhabitants of K'un L'un?

Sunfire from the X-Men?

Silver Samurai?

Lady Deathstrike?

Jimmy Woo of SHIELD?

Mantis from the Avengers?

The Mandarin?

And that's just a few Marvel Asian characters I recall from back in the day when I actually read comics growing up.

14. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Look on the bright side.....they didn't white wash one of us

They need to cut that shit out

15. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

We can't complain about this and then defend Idris Elba as Heimdall.

By the way, did anyone catch Ex Machina? I was looking around to catch it, but it has already disappeared from cinemas.

16. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Ur joking right?

I know ur smarter than this

17. orejon4

In each instance, it's a fictional character whose race is not a requirement or central to their abilities or story. In comics and legend, Heimdall is a deity, but he is not spelled out in Norse mythology as specifically white, because they're all nonhuman. The comics did depict him as white though. What's the difference between that and the Ancient One as a teacher for Dr. Strange? Another fictional character that the movie depicts as different from the comic.

18. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

[​IMG]

19. orejon4

Seriously, though. If I'm off-base, tell me.

20. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Minority roles (which are meager to begin with) being stripped from Hollywood film and given to white actors (who typically make up the majority of roles already)..and ur ok with that

There's nothing off-base with ur stance at all :p

Heimdall was given to a black actor (just like Johnny storm) because face it.....without it, there would have been no 'significant' (if u can even call it that) PoC role in thor films...outside of nick fury