The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

DC never needed to do what Marvel did because their characters were already well known. Remember, Iron Man and the rest were B lor C level properties outside of the comics world.

Bats, The Big Blue Boyscout and WW are known outside in the real world. But, having a cross ever event like that would serve them well.

2. MilkandCoffee

MilkandCoffee Well-Known Member

That's because DC only shines light on its golden age heroes. Sometimes they'll give lesser known heroes like watchmen the limelight, but they'll quickly abandon them as soon as the hype ends. Atleast Marvel will consistently try to make their lesser known heroes relevant until a strong enough fanbase is created for them.

3. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

That may be true. However, given that DC has been milking (and overrating) Batman to death, seems more like Superman and Wonder Woman would be considered backburner, lesser known in today's world, despite their popularity beginnings.

4. samson1701

Oh, they're still very, very popular properties. WB just doesn't understand what needs to be done to properly take advantage of those character's brand recognition. You could not have ever picked up a comic book in your life, but you'd still know Superman's basic story and his iconic symbol and costume. The same with Wonder Woman.

They are far from lesser known. Lesser used, lesser developed outside the world of comics, but lesser known? No.

5. Morning Star

I'm not implying they are B or C-ranked superheroes. Far from it. Rather, one IP tends to overshadow the others drastically to where, if you were to talk about superheroes around the world, more people would familiar with Batman, but less about Superman and Wonder Woman even more so due to lack of exposure. Yes, we've seen Justice League variations and Superman and Wonder Woman both had some recent movies (with the latter being animated 2009 movie), but it shows how one is extremely milked and the other two are just catching up.

6. Morning Star

[YOUTUBE]JrvEWWYLDHM[/YOUTUBE]

7. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

8. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

9. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

10. samson1701

I see what you're saying. A huge part of the reason they haven't done a WW movie yet is because they don't think it will sell. See, the WW animated movie they did a while back didn't do very well. That set everything Wonder Woman (and female superhero) back. Which is why Superman/Batman: Apokolypse had no mention of Supergirl (despite the film focusing on her) or Wonder Woman (who had as much screen time as Batman or Superman). Hell, you'd never evn know that was Supergirl on the cover. She just looked like some random scantily clad blond chick. It was done for one reason. Wonder Woman's film did "meh" numbers.

This I got directly from the horse's mouth; Director Lauren Montgomery. I got to go to an advance screening of the film with Bruce Timm, Tim Daly, and others from the cast. There was a Q&A after the screening where they talked about the why's and why nots in depth.

[​IMG]

11. EuroChick

EuroChick New Member

Got my record player. Anyone into music on vinyl?

12. Morning Star

I guess at that time, the superhero genre was still fairly young, despite the fact that Iron Man really made waves with the first movie, alongside the Batman movies. It is damning, nonetheless, but also the popularity of strong women were not really all that popular.

But, I am waiting to see a major turnaround. However, I wonder how long the popularity will last? That will be the major question. I guess it all hinges on whether the movies can still deliver. And DC Cinematic Universe really has a lot to prove, especially in the movies.

13. orejon4

Yes, especially really jazz, salsa, bossa nova and reggae. I don't know why, but I love that full sound you get on vinyl, complete with the occasional static and pops.

14. EuroChick

EuroChick New Member

Yesss.... audiophile quality. I am looking forward to having all my favorite albums on vinyl. :p

15. orejon4

What kind of turntable did you buy? Technics 1200?

16. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Interesting article about race in video games.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/3/8719389/colorblind-on-witcher-3-rust-and-gamings-race-problem

The author calls out games like Withcher 3 for having magic and monsters but no brown or black people.

To be completely honest, being forced to play as a white dude, after playing games like Skyrim, Mass Effect, and Dragonage where I can be any race I want, takes a little enjoyment out of the play experience. (It's still a fun game though.)

17. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

If playing a white guy takes enjoyment out of the game, u might be a racist :p

I've seen plenty of whites upset over being forced to play a black guy....hell I remember some racist bitching on my server after being stuck with the black character in a team shooter

Imma give you a pass tho since video games are white washed as fuck and I too make black characters when I get the chance

In dragon age, I was the only brotha in town...ain't that a bitch

Witcher 3 itself tho was a pretty good game...i clocked in at least 100 hours and had fun watching his beard grow in/shaving

I also spent a dozen hours in the whore houses

18. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Lol, ok let me rephrase that. It's the lack of choice that lessons my enjoyment.

As a gamer for 30+ years, i'm used to playing only as white characters. But ever since games like Skyrim have allowed custom characters, I've made a point to populate as many video game worlds as possible with afro or cornrows wearing brothas.

19. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Interesting you'd mention hairstyles

My main beef with games that let you play different races involves this

Many games let you choose a color but when it comes to hair options...ur restricted to hair texture and styles of Caucasians/asians

Seriously we need to start donating those black barber haircut posters to these developers...I'm tired of looking like I have a perm or walking around bald because I said fuck it

Elder scrolls online drops next week on consoles...can't wait to see what options they have for us

20. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member