The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Awesome and interesting! :D

2. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

Dude, I use to love this show. But, I'm guessing this new version won't be that great. The movies weren't. I'm going to watch it for nostalgia's sake. But, whatever "magic" they had that made the show great back in the may not be there this time around.

You may be better off watching the old episodes in order to get why the show was so popular and groundbreaking at the time.

3. samson1701

Tying In MOS With B v.S

I love it when movie makers pay this much attention to detail.

[YOUTUBE]kP9dMtq3w_Q[/YOUTUBE]

4. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

It's hard for me to imagine Superman as the aggressor. He's like a super-powered goody two shoes. :p

5. samson1701

The Big Blue Boyscout won't be the aggressor. Batman will. Keep in mind, that sky scraper Supes and Zod demolished while fighting was a Waynetech building. All Bruce could do, as his people (friends and employees) needlessly lost their lives, was helplessly watch. He was there, but powerless to prevent tragedy, yet again. Think about it; that was Batman's 9-11.

Yes, I am in full nerdgasm at the thought of how awesome this movie could be.

6. samson1701

Anyone remember reading this issue?

[​IMG]

7. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

If i'm not mistaken that issue was written in the 70's. I didn't read comic books back then (mostly because I couldn't read yet)

Honestly I find this panel kind of irritating. It's like the comic book writer wanted to bring a voice to his own white liberal guilt.

The under lining message of a Black man looking up to a "white savior" for help, hits too many race buttons for my taste.

8. samson1701

Or, he could have been, as an artist, doing what he could to bring help call attention to racial injustice.

The 70's was a time when a lot of white artists and musicians expressed their disdain for how blacks had been treated and they did so the only way they could; through their art.

And, if one bennifits from the systematic destruction of entire cultures and the endlavement of an entire race, should that person feel, at least a bit, guilty? And, if the manifestation of that guilt helps the over all greater good of those people that have been down trodden, isn't that a good thing also?

Shit, I'd be much more irritated at the Luke Cage comics of the day. Miss me with all that Sweet Christmas shit. ...lol

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  9. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

Goku vs. Superman REMATCH

After the last Death Battle, the DBZ community demanded a rematch due to their favorite was "unfairly" beaten by Superman. Well, this rematch, Goku has god-level powers, thanks to the revitalization of the series in the form to two movies and a continued manga and anime series. Will this outcome be any different?

[YOUTUBE]L0D0VGomWb4[/YOUTUBE]​

10. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I get that the artist and writer were trying to draw attention to racial inequalities, but it's the execution of the idea that I find a bit troublesome.

I've already mentioned the white savior theme, but there is one other thing that bothers me about this.

When the writer has the old man chastise Green Lantern for helping all of the other 'different' people except for blacks. He is (hopefully) unaware that he is putting blacks in the same category with aliens, and thus subliminally assigning black people alien status. Orange skins and purple skins are aliens, black skins are humans. If Green Lantern is ignoring the plight of black people, he isn't ignoring an alien race. He is ignoring his own people.

It would have been better in my opinion, if the panel was written more like "You help a bunch of different aliens, but there are issues here on Earth with your fellow man, that you've never addressed".

11. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

I don't think the writer was doing that. Intentionally or unintentionally. Keep in mind that the writer was approaching things from a 1970's point of view and not a 2015 point of view. There were plenty of elderly black people back then, who while intelligent were not formally educated on the same level as we are use to seeing now, so how the elderly black man expressed himself was not that uncommon. Remember formal education for many older generations of black folks was hard to come by and even when achieved was viewed by the majority of white society as bad. Can't be having those uppity negroes.....

12. orejon4

I see what you're saying. It causes a light to go off in his head that super-powered beings are a threat to humanity.

Yeah, I noticed that comics and sci-fi/fantasy tend to use aliens to tell allegorical tales about human race relations, but miss the fact that all ethnic groups are part of the same race.

13. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Latest poster.

14. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

Wonder who the writers will romantically pair her up with. :smt069

15. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

Mechad Brooks as Jimmy Olson.

16. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

17. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

18. orejon4

Has anyone peeped that Avatar title "God Is Dead"? I'm on Volume 3 and it's pretty good so far.

19. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

This gonna bomb so hard if the pilot is any indication

20. orejon4

She looks about as 'Super' as a teenaged babysitter.