The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

Starhawk also had a black central protagonist and it's a Sony made game. The creators of the game, who are an in-game development studio wanted a black character because they wanted to push for more diverse gaming and represent everyone instead of the usual "whitey default" protagonist.

Of course, this is one of the many examples of black protagonists in gaming as of recent. There are a handful of others.

[YOUTUBE]yCMoFlngQaM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]JRUQk1N4e1k[/YOUTUBE]

2. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I read in Game Informer magazine about a group of programmers of all colors that were all pushing for greater diversity in the gaming 'verse. Looks like their efforts are bearing fruit. Cool!

3. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Neil Adams was the rare exception and not the rule for drawing characters, especially Superman, in the 60's & 70's. Curt Swan's take on Superman was the default look for Superman up until the 80's.

[​IMG]

Also Neil Adams' take on Batman in 70's played a large part in the character moving back towards the more gritty avenger type he was in the 30's and 40's over the caped crusader type that he became during the 50's and 60's.

4. Morning Star

Bioware has been leading the charge on bringing diversity in games. They even went to universities (Canada as it's their base of operations) to push for greater diversity, not just for race, but for gender and sexual orientation. And...it is reflective in their games. Liana K, someone I know who has been deep in the gaming industry for a long time, she's been very forward and instrumental in pushing for such a feat.

But, in order for real change to happen, black people would have to jump into the fray as indie developers and lead developers and directors in big companies. And become a bigger voice for genres outside of sports.

5. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

I never cared for existing black heroes. It wasn't until Milestone Comics came out that I felt we had some real black heroes. They felt like "us" not someone pretending to be us.

I'm all for a black Bruce Wayne/Batman or almost any of them.

And speaking of Heroes ...

[YOUTUBE]4FLHB2zB_cA[/YOUTUBE]

6. samson1701

7. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

Those memes :smt043 :smt043

8. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

FUCK NO

Why? Like someone said that the only way we can have a storyline is to steal theirs and its not true. Why support that lazy ass way of creating?
    What about Static, Icon, Cable, Blade etc

9. Morning Star

Where does it say that multiple continuities would mean the same exact character would have to don the identity? Being synonymous with a role is not the same as being integral to the role. I still don't see where it's considered stealing or being lazy.

But, there is Batwing, but there is always room for a black Bruce Wayne in a separate universe.

10. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I would love to see more black talent in programming and game development.

11. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

[youtube]YAJ1elwOH98[/youtube]

A new video getting more in-depth into the characters and the world of the series.

12. Shulz021

[​IMG]

Releasing August 25th

13. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

14. samson1701

FUCK YES

Because black boys grow up watching and imagining themselves as these heroes, just as much as their white counterparts. These characters belong to all of us. Not just whites. There is nothing lazy about it.

And if you'll notice in my earlier post, I noted the Milestone characters as being about the only black characters I really dug. They weren't anti-heroes, side kicks, replacement versions or somehow dependent on "whiteness" for their powers or abilities.

They appropriate from us all of the time. I have zero issues with us doing the same.

Nicca', Denzel as Batman in The Dark Knight Returns. What?!?!

15. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

16. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Dude I respectfully disagree because if the situation were different ie Gods of Egypt motherfuckas would lose their minds and rightfully so.
    They did that bullshit with The Last Airbender, Dragonballs Evolution, Prince of Persia, 21 etc and people were pissed.
    Make a young Denzel Cable that would be dope, Michael Jai White Jon Stewart aka Green Lantern that would be dope, a young Angela Basset as Storm that would be dope. Why can't those characters be celebrated, why can't their stories be told. I don't get the need to hijack a well established story line. What purpose does it serve?

17. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

I 100% agree with TDK on this.

Comic book characters were some of the most non-White 'White' folk in pop culture. I can't even remember White character I read having a tinge or racism in his DNA.

Switching the colors just because some would like to see a superhero who looks exactly like them misses the point.

Fuck with the minor characters, but I just don't like all this race flipping with major major characters, unless it's implicitly written into their origin story like Thor or the Green Lantern.

18. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

[HDYT]ogYptnWnJkg[/HDYT]

19. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

And that just goes back to my point of Black comic book characters not getting the same push, promotion, Notoriety, & etc as their white counterpoints. So of course Black Boys growing up are gonna sleep on the Black characters while imaging themselves as White character.

With your logic Marvel should've just turned Peter Parker & Steve Rogers black, instead of creating Miles Morales & allowing Sam Wilson/Falcon his shot at being Captain America. Those are 2 original Black characters getting a major push right now.

20. Shulz021

Pretty mind boggling on the process on which character gets race swapped from the comic book universe. :rolleyes: