The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

Interesting...You make this game sound wildly entertaining but the Youtube videos left much to be desired.

Call of Duty was never meant to be a accurate representation of war but instead give the player a mind blowing cinematic experience ala Saving Private Ryan which I must say, they deliver flawlessly.

2. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

yup, That's it. Like I said before I found it odd how users put so much time into it. Petty isn't the usual user and most probably won't see or care about how unrealistic it is as long as they are having a good time.

3. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

that's what most people want

for a methodical 'sim' type approach, they'll play battlefield. the user base is small compared to CoD franchise, but it's loyal and they love their history.

the graphics obviously dont compare to other modern games, but the high-level strategy, coordination of large-scale air/ground/sea units and tactics, will not be found anywhere else. that's what draws me in. I like to think.

:cool:

4. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]PhsIZHVIA6w?fs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]CRWI4Z-YB_c?fs[/YOUTUBE]

5. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

does knowing the difference between an arming, great, and bastard sword qualify someone as a nerd?

:eek:

I do love those medieval RPGs

I play this one for my PC

[​IMG]

This game features a dynamic campaign, with RPG elements like building up your character, pledging allegiance to a throne, raising your own troops, and going to war. Castle sieges, jousting tournaments, the whole nine yards. It's made by an Indie company, and doesn't cost that much.

It puts a nice emphasis on horseback riding as well. And during battles, your sword, armor and troops become soaked in blood as the body count rises.

[youtube]KSosqB-1nEU[/youtube]

basically if you've ever seen movies like Braveheart, or Joan of Arc, and always giggled at the mere thought of being right in the middle of a huge battle, where all it takes is one stray sword to kill you....this is the game you need ;)

It's very mod-friendly too. I've seen mods that had Sparta and the Spartans in it, as well as one that featured line-fighting with muskets during the Napoleonic Era.

6. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

One of the best soundtracks I had ever heard. This game was the shit.

[​IMG]

[YOUTUBE]6FCpKhcYA_A[/YOUTUBE]

7. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]px9UXOEe4Mk?fs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]g-0o9xifPa8?fs[/YOUTUBE]

8. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

True, I haven't played a simulation as true to life like Battleground Europe but I love my SIM games. It sucks that since gaming has become so mainstream that simulations are nearly extinct on consoles. (Not much a of PC Gamer)

My favorites are the OG Ghost Recon games, Operation Flashpoint, and IL 2:Sturmovik

:smt023 I have this on repeat daily

[YOUTUBE]mBAP-VdoN48[/YOUTUBE]

9. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Pretty much. I remember spending 10-15 minutes in the mission-planning stage with old school Rainbow 6. You were given a layout of the area, and planned the movements and actions for your teams. It was a very realistic portrayal of how small units prepare for their missions. Teams don't make a habit of going into an area, without knowing what kind of cover is around, building locations, hiding spaces, distances, etc. All that is vital to the survival of your people, and Red Storm really did a good job at implementing it.

NOW...everything is watered down and you have health regeneration, which leads people to run and gun, instead of thinking on a truly tactical level. But, this is what makes big money like HALO, so in a business sense, they would be fools to do otherwise.

Shit, even SOCOM is getting the mainstream treatment. Looks run and gun now.

I do have Armed Assault too. The developers behind the original Op: Flashpoint, split from Codemasters and worked independently on it's spiritual sequels. They have a huge, talented community that pumps out mods for it as well. It's worth a look into. Just be prepared to download user campaigns, because the stock campaign sucks. :eek:

10. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    if you think this is how submarines do battle, you won't live to tell about it.

[​IMG]
    all of those gauges work..pay attention to them :)

[​IMG]
    get used to looking out of that....A LOT

good game.....definitely nerdware. Seriously, who else spends 3-4 hours sailing a 1/4 or 1/8 scale ocean, to sink allied ships when they could be getting ass or drinking a 40?

:eek:

11. jayarmy

jayarmy New Member

Nice!!!

12. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

sadly sims like this dont have a big market...but u can learn a lot about history, practical application and stuff from playing them

managing diesel and electric engines, and knowing that a sub moves slower submerged are just some of the things u can pick up

13. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]bO9A4sWNCFQ?fs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]0nIq-dlWtWE?fs[/YOUTUBE]

14. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Back in the mid and late 90's I got into the real time strategy game series Command and Conquer. I really got into in once it went more Sci-Fi with the weapons and tech use by the two opposing forces the Global Defense Initiative (GDI) and the terrorist group the Brotherhood of Nod. Reminded me of G.I. Joe and COBRA.

[YOUTUBE]7Uq92eCdNQM?fs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]pvkZydL_0Bg?fs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Nk8Xp2FOjB8?fs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]KFoa5lEORE8?fs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]cK2NqjvzdSc?fs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]oy3QPXHjx6I?fs[/YOUTUBE]

15. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]h36aPiNl5VQ?fs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]PXncN17D-Hs?fs[/YOUTUBE]

Looks like there were actually 11 episodes for this.

[YOUTUBE]B12ngONaI8Y?fs[/YOUTUBE]

16. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

i think i just creamed my pants at the very mentioning of real-time strat

time to geek out with...

Company Of Heroes

Awesome game based around historical ww2, pitting the British and Americans against the Wehrmacht and Panzer Elite groups. This game helped introduce aspects like moving men behind cover, picking up dropped weapons, etc. Very good play, in fact I may free up disk space just to give it another go.

[YOUTUBE]n2QSBDOaRVE[/YOUTUBE]
    The troops talk and crack jokes to give the game atmosphere. You can expect dry-wit as playing as the British too :)

Warhammer 40k - Dawn of War 2

If you're looking for something more Sci-Fi, fantasy, this is IT. I get a woody just thinking about kicking some ass in it. Cyborgs, musclebound characters that look like they're from Gears of War, mindless aliens, all that shit.:smt119 Excellent campaign, that let's you choose which missions to fight in.

[YOUTUBE]K7Smb5g3YZo[/YOUTUBE]

For the Emperor!

17. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

I've got the English dubbed DVD for this updated anime movie of the Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets series that came out in the late 90's. It's pretty good. Wished they would have went ahead and just produced an updated series rather than a movie though.

[YOUTUBE]csXAvcQwxq8?fs[/YOUTUBE]

18. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

And the CGI animated movie that's suppose to be coming sometime in 2011.

[YOUTUBE]v0ijXoblVPo?fs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]pbk-5cMxEH8?fs[/YOUTUBE]

19. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

My first exposure to anime. This was my shit when I was 5. Ahhh, the dubbing was horrible but I still loved it. G-Fore was crazy good.

20. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]mavj4Aa4jjk?fs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]r1qWoIGlYuY?fs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]14A2O_CX2NE?fs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]ZcgSL2r99Fg?fs[/YOUTUBE]