The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

I can dig it

2. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

This Is Not An Actual Movie (Fan Made Movie Poster)

[​IMG]

3. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I'd buy a ticket to see that.

4. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I'm starting to think Marvel is trolling fan boys at this point.

Anyway, Marvel announces that a black woman is replacing Tony Stark as Iron (Man?)

Meet Riri Williams

[​IMG]

5. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

Aw hell :smt043 :smt043

6. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

A lot of "fans" seemingly forget that comics have always had some form of social commentary. It's not a form of escapism that people think, but rather a reality that could and should make us think.

7. MilkandCoffee

MilkandCoffee Well-Known Member

Marvel's been replacing a lot of its iconic male superheros with females (Thor, Wolverine, Spiderman). I don't mind either way and at least they didn't kill off Tony.

8. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

It's gonna kill their fan base. A female Thor? Come on. Serious is it that hard to just use already established female characters?

9. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

People, should calm the down. You know as well as I do it's temporary and sooner or later Tony will be back with a new focus and reason for being the one and true Iron Man. So, just sit back and enjoy the story if its well told.

Things will be back to normal in due time. Sheesh, they act like they've never read a comic before. Oh, wait ... the character is a woman or a minority. That explains the outrage and total disregard of how these kinds of story arcs have resolved themselves in tons of other books in comicdom.

10. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I'm all for diversity, but swapping women and minority characters into roles made popular by a white male character is the wrong way to do it.

It's saying to the fan base "We don't think minority and female characters are good enough to stand on their own, so we'll need to borrow the established popularity of our white male heroes."

11. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I don't mind switching them out for minority characters at all, especially when the original character would have long since been deceased given the human life span. Peter Parker has been a young man for what, like forty-five years or so? That being said, I would rather see new characters because I like the variety in the comics universe. That's easy for me to say, of course. I don't have to try to keep these titles new and interesting month after month. Lol

12. MilkandCoffee

MilkandCoffee Well-Known Member

Making new characters doesn't do much if fans aren't supporting them.

Here's a website that has an archive of black superheroes, past and present: http://worldofblackheroes.com/category/black-superheroes/

Do you think most people can even recognize a quarter of the characters on there? Casual fans usually don't care unless they can identify a mainstream hero somewhere in the books. Same goes for all other outside media too. Every blue moon you get a Spawn or Static Shock but the hype eventually dies.

I'm fine with new, original characters coming out to take the torch from the old school. I only trip when they do the characters a disservice (like with wolverine) by killing them off and having them be replaced by lame versions of themselves. X-23 will never be the BAMF that was and is Wolverine.

13. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

As someone stated earlier it is difficult to get a foot in this popularity contest.
    You are either drowned out by the trinity in DC or there is too many people to compete with in Marvel. Name a new superhero in the last 5 years that gained popularity?
    such as has his or her own tv show or movie.

14. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

There are dozens of black and female characters that already exist, that they (Marvel/DC) could elevate to mainstream status.

Like they did to Luke Cage. He was sidelined in the Marvel Universe for years, until he was cast as one of the New Avengers. His being given a spotlight position on Marvels flagship team has helped his character connect to an all new generation of comic fans, and I believe it helped get him his own series on Netflix. And he didn't need to ride on the coattails of an already established hero.

15. archangel

yea problem is daredevil was who he got there with. If daredevil had failed, we wouldn't be having this talk. He then was given a part on Jessica and then!!!! he was on.

Also did they air it yet?

16. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

True and the main reason black and female characters don't get elevated and don't often connect with black or female readers is : white male writers & artists primarily handle them rather than black and female writers & artists handling them.

There has been and currently is a proven track record showing that black & female characters do better when handle by creators of their particular demographic. Black Panther gained his current fan favorite status at Marvel back in the late 90s/early 00s when Christopher Priest, a black writer, did the still highly acclaimed Black Panther series that ran for six years before he left to do other projects and peeked in popularity again in 05 thru 08 when Reginald Hudlin did his run on the character and the character has remained a steadfast fan favorite since. Black Panther is currently peeking again in popularity due to both his film appearance in Captain America Civil War and writer Ta'Nehisi Coates & artist Brian Stelfreeze (both black) doing his current series. The current series re-teaming of Luke Cage aka Power Man & Iron Fist is also a big hit due to writer David Walker & artist Sanford Greene (both black) handling the book.

On the female side Wonder Woman, Catwoman & Birds of Prey series all had higher popularity spikes in their runs when writer Gail Simone wrote those series. Storm is the biggest and most popular black female comics character in the game, so how come Marvel has yet to get any black female writers to tackle a Storm solo series? And "yes" there are a good number of black female writers & artists that could do a Storm solo series justice.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  17. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Can we at least try? We never actually try to even see.

18. archangel

Money issue but they are going around it and dropping people in. I mean we do have a black panther movie coming out.

19. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Idris Elba was seen filming The Dark Tower this week in NYC.

20. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member