The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

You're right. But also, because of the comic book fans and the Netflix fans, there are huge numbers of non-black viewers looking forward to a show with a mostly black cast. How often does that happen?

I think Black Panther could do the same.

2. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

Hopefully Black Panther won't bomb at the box office.

3. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Odds are that it won't, being a highly-anticipated Marvel film.

4. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Yeah, even with the urban tones and the cast being mostly black both Black Panther and Luke Cage seems to have a diverse fanbase.

5. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

Well, as I've stated in other posts, I'm not fan of the character anyway. So, I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.

On top of that, from what I see in the trailor, he's just a super strong brotha' in a hoodie set to hip-hop. Oh, and there's some night club involved which will probably feature a string of musical acts throughout the season. They're not even calling him, "Power Man." But, it's Marvel so they gets a pass. ... lol The whole thing seems boring and stereotypical to me. I think I'm a little too booshie for Luke Cage. ...lol

But, I'm going to watch it and root for it's success anyway. I know we don't get to Static, Icon or Jon Stewart GL TV shows or films if Luke Cage flops.

The show could change my mind about the character. I didn't have much interest in a Black Panther movie until I saw Civil War. Now, I'm all in.

All this reminds me of TV show, The Mantis way back in the day. The pilot movie was nice. But, when they brought the show back for a full season, they totally whitewashed it and dumbed it down. And, aside from the title character. It was no longer black. It was just terrible. All of my friends kept wondering why I still watched it even though I thought the show was crap? Because, I knew that if Mantis got cancelled, it would be 20 plus years before we'd get another live action, black superhero show. I don't want that to happen again.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  6. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

They rebooted M.A.N.T.I.S.? Whitewashed the scientist?
    Reboots are the rage these days. Thundercats and Voltron have been rebooted. What next? How much will change?

7. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

They didn't reboot M.A.N.T.I.S.. He's talking about how they effectively whitewashed the short lived going series compared to the more black centric movie which spawned it. The main and supporting characters in the movie were all primarily black. When it came to the TV series only the main character and the love interest remained POC.

8. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Oh, okay.

9. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comics Legend Christopher Priest Sets His Sights on Master Assassin Deathstroke

Newsarama

10. samson1701

Not only that, but in the series, he didn't invent everything himself like he did in the movie. In the series, he had a white guy that was like his "Q." 'Cause, you know, a black guy couldn't have come up with all that on his own.

They brought in a producer from the Lois & Clark Superman series and changed the whole tone of the show. Made it more lite hearted. It also became very "hackish" with a lot of over used, tired scifi and superhero tropes.

Riuned what started as a great start for a new black hero.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  11. LA

LA Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

So I finally got to see this movie.. Well.. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting after all the reviews I've read. The pace was steady, the action was continuous and the characters came together nicely. Some of the characters could have been a bit more developed. It felt like it wanted to be a Rated-R movie and it should have been. Some of the scenes were a bit cheesy but that's expected. Overall, I'd say they got the job done. I liked it more than Batman vs. Superman (boring!).

In terms of timeless quality, Suicide Squad was somewhat of a forgettable film, I must say.

3/5 Stars is how I would rate it.

12. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

The actor who played the assistant to the main character played by Carl Lumbly was Roger Rhees from Cheers(as Kirstie Alley's boyfriend) and Robin Hood: Men In Tights.

13. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

All ya'll that still actively read comics, go cop this and if it's good then continue to support it and get other active comic readers, especially other black comic readers, on board. Support your black writers and artists please. Thank You.

14. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

I purchased both a print and digital version of DeathStroke: Rebirth on Wednesday. Believe me when I say the hype is deserved.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  15. samson1701

Going to do just that.

16. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

I heard through the the grapevine that hulu was going to be all subscribed.:(

17. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

Yup it's true

18. archangel

Just giving people heads up. Hulu has been losing my attention since they integrated facebook.

19. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen Batman: The Killing Joke? My brother saw it and didn't like it. I saw it and liked it. I guess it was because he was expecting more from the film. What do you think(those who have seen it)?

20. archangel

Not a fan of it. I feel like they didn't do it justice like the dark knight returns. They cheapened it by adding all of that batgirl(except her getting shot) in it. Just give her her movie with gail simone directing.