The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

I'm with archangel I really didn't like it. Watched the whole thing and what annoyed me is he spent the entire time running from the damn cops. Seriously first black superhero and his entire conflict is with the cops and gangsters.
    Wasn't impressed with how they wrote Cottonmouth and Shades. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't as good as the first two Marvel/Netflix shows.
    Also if this is in the same universe as Agents of Shield I am really curious why none of them showed up. His exploits were incredibly high profile, they usually show up quick for enhanced humans. No Hydra no nothing, guess black enhanced people don't require the same kind of attention?

2. MilkandCoffee

MilkandCoffee Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. The Dark King

lmao good one

4. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

Sweet Christmas lol
    White guys attempt at cashing in on a Blaxploitation comic no wonder Dwayne Mcduffie and crew made fun of it.

I was hoping it wasn't what the trailer was showing but yea exactly is.

5. The Dark King

Certain things I thought were tongue in cheek but then dude got so damn preachy. No one cares, I don't get why everything has to be a statement. Were there any black writers on this project?

6. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

Yep. Black show runner (Cheo Hodari Coker) and writers. This really was a black vision of the character.

https://www.wired.com/2016/09/culture-podcast-luke-cage/

Welp, what was supposed to be my laid up, weekend of solitude turned into some whole other kind of shit.

So, I'm only up to episode 3. I'll catch 4 and 5 maybe tomorrow. The show is pretty much exactly what I thought it was going to be. Maybe, a bit better. I like that the character is well read and well spoken. They also seem to be working toward a purpose for the whole "Hero For Hire" angle. That's one thing I never liked about Power Man. Why the brotha' can't just be a hero because it's the right thing to do? The writers look like they're adressing that in a very heroically organic way.

The character of Luke Cage, especially when handled by self proclaimed Hip-hop heads can only go so far. He is a street level hero. And to keep it real to that esthetic, these are the types of stories you get. Drugs, gangs, cops, blah and blah.

From what I'm seeing so far, they're doing a good, albeit not great, job with the show. About as good as Daredevil Season 2 . But, as I said, I'm only 3 episodes in and I went in with very muted expectations, anyway.

I could like it more. I could like it less by the time I get through the whole thing. All I really know is that I'm glad to see a quality black super hero show done by black people. 'Cause if it were out and out garbage, ... lol

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  7. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

MILD SPOILER ALERT!!!

I didn't hate it... but... sighs... I don't know man...

They tried to hard to mesh it into a blaxploitation film for this generation and instead of a Marvel show. They delved harder into Misty Stone's character than they did Luke Cage. I felt like it was a Misty Stone show featuring Luke Cage. I didn't care for that. They put so much focus on setting up the environment as well as trying to explain so much. It's like they felt as though they had to explain every single thing to white viewers or something. I didn't hate it, but I was rather disappointed. It didn't feel like Luke Cage at all.

Did it seem like Misty, Mariah, and... almost everyone else got more screen time and intense character development than Luke? I felt like the set up for Luke was just, meh. Not to mention that there wasn't a hardcore fight scene to talk about.

Don't get me wrong. Jessica Jones didn't have as many fight scenes as daredevil. But, it was still a better season. They had a lot of strong women in there and situations dealing with women's issues. But, I felt it was more subtle. I think it helped that Jessica Jones had the Alias material to go off of (which is an amazing series). Luke Cage, in my opinion, didn't have an "Alias-level" series.

Hopefully things will get better next season. He also needs some super powered people to fight, because he is too powerful to get down and dirty with a regular person.

8. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

So in other words some of you "Blerds" are upset yet again that you didn't get your Impossible Whiteman Superhero in Blackface in the vein of the holy trinity of Impossible Whitemen Superheroes of Superman, Batman and Wolverine.....

9. archangel

You didn't see all of the elements of batman, superman and wolverine in this?
    I mean the plot to kill Luke is just like superman in Justice league doom.

I thought that is what we got here. I don't like it because I got that.

10. The Dark King

I didn't like the lack of character development and this thing where blackness meant poverty and pure hood shit.
    He had no secret identity or real life break from the hero shit like everyone else. No he literally spent 10 episodes running from the cops. And his biggest challenge was cartoonish as fuck
    I won't say it was bad because it wasn't just didn't rise to the same level as the other two joints. And am I on the only one who thinks he made absolutely no sense that SHIELD didn't show up in this series. He's an enhanced human on the news wanted by the police. Isn't this what's totally in their wheel house? They just let this dude go back to regular prison with regular people?
    That part is really bugging me.

11. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

No, I didn't get any of those elements, and if they were present they certainly didn't get played on the Impossible Superhero Level that they do with the Impossible Trinity.

And just out of curiosity how would you have handled Luke Cage? Keep in mind that Marvel/Netfix shows are all about keeping the heroes/characters they are using in a more grounded and realistic environment/situations compared to the Cinematic characters & situations.

12. archangel

Isn't shield on a different network?

13. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

1) So that's what you got from the show? Blackness = poverty and hood shit?

2) Why would he have a secret identity when he wasn't actually trying to be a "Super hero" in the first place? He was running because he was technically a dead fugitive. Guaranteed he will be exonerated of whatever crimes he was framed for come time for his next appearance.

3) Why would SHIELD get involved with what was going on just because Luke Cage is enhanced? Did the news or other media catch him actively engaged in massive city wide acts of destruction that caused injury and death to a large number of the populace? No. He was accused of killing three people on the word of others and the one instance of violence caught on camera the individuals walked away with no major injuries.

4) You really believe knowing what they now know about him being enhanced that they are going to put him in a prison with normal humans?

14. The Dark King

We're talking major property damage and new military grade weapons used to hunt him down. They've come out for less.
    And they sent him to prison with two marshals in an SUV
    That seems lax as fuck.

15. The Dark King

Nope all the same studio all the same universe.

16. archangel

If I did a Luke cage show, people would complain that I am not close to the material.

I would have certainly added a villain that could go toe to toe with Luke. I would have deleted away his gang history. Added a college education and betrayal by willis that ended up giving him his powers. Then I'd go into the internal fight of if he wants to be a super hero or not. Willis wouldn't be introduced again until season 2 with powers. Season 1 would be more of an origin to him becoming a hero and fighting. maybe tombstone would be the main villain with rhino being the muscle.

17. archangel

Isn't his identity carl lucas and Luke cage as the hero name?

18. archangel

Spoiler Alert
    You have been warned!

Finished watching the whole thing. Disappointed. I will give them credit. They put someone in that tried to go toe to toe. Luke is too overpowered like another guy we know. What made daredevil so good was that he could get hurt. The fights were knock down bare knuckle and this is just Luke basically walking around beating people.

I was hoping that misty might lose that arm but.... nothing

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  19. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Wait...who was hunting him down with the military grade weapons? Diamond back right? And the cops themselves were eventually supplied with the same military grade ammo to take Cage down. So why SHIELD involvement??

He was going back with them of his own free will. If he actually didn't want to go with them do you think he would be in the SUV? Again, do you think they are actually going to put him in a prison or a cell for normal people when he is actually locked up knowing he's enhanced?

20. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

They didn't introduce a gang history on the series so it's already null & void. By the way that the character is portrayed in this Netflix series and in the Jessica Jones series, what makes you assume that he isn't college educated?