The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Dude has a holy shit level of powers and abilities. For a character like that, they could have done better with the costume.

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself

3. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

Bruh, if it's a heroic, positive black male led show, I'll watch it. Even if I don't like it, I'll at least put it on in the background and do something else or DVR it and run it and delete later so it gets counted.

But, what I'm saying is true. We didn't watch that show with Lance Gross in the lead. We didn't turn out for the latest season of Secrets and Lies with Micheal Ely in the lead. Blacks aren't watching Rosewood. And 24:Legacy is tanking with us. We complain about there not being shows with smart, black male leads saving the day, but when we get something like that, we just don't watch. Yet, we still complain about there not being heroic black male led shows. BTW, when I say we, I mean y'all 'Cause I've watched, or continue to watch, all of them.

At this point in history, and on this particular subject, we are our own worst enemy.

4. The Dark King

Well 24 just sucks it ran it's course putting a black Jack Bauer isn't going to make the show new again.
    I think we deserve better than recycled garbage.
    Rosewood is a boring show and so was the last installment of Secret and Lies the writing is boring as fuck.
    Same thing with the minority report t.v. show boring and poorly casted.
    The other sci-fi show with Michael Ely Humans was dope I have no clue what happened there.
    If it's not entertaining we can't just watch for the sake of watching. The biggest problem is too many white writers writing for black actors it simply doesn't translate well most times

5. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

Because all them shows are ass, even the ones with white leads you named.

If it ain't a HBO, Showtime, FX, or Netflix original, I ain't watching it.

6. samson1701

Except, that's not how Hollywood works. They don't see it as "Oh, the show wasn't well written, that's why it didn't work." They see it as "No one wants to see a show centered on a black male lead, in a traditional white male role." I don't know why people don't get that. It all comes down to viewers, viewers, viewers. This is why I side eye people complaining about shows like Empire and every other coonish reality show. The reason why that's all we get is because that's all we'll watch. Shit, if it were about quality, Black-ish would be the number one show in black America. Quality doesn't matter. (In my Uncle Ruckus voice) You darkies just aren't going to watch black men lead anything that's not about drug dealing, rapping or playing sports.

There's a reason why Shondra Rhimes' first shows stared white women and her follow up hit, "Scandal" is about a powerful black and her affair with a white male lead.

BTW, the last season of Secrets and Lies was far superior than that crapfest that was season 1. The father's behaviour was pure idiocy. Even for a Sunday night show on ABC. The black lead in 24 is nothing like Jack Bauer. And, while the show isn't as good as the original 24, it's as good or better than the last 24 event series from a couple of years ago. Rosewood is just a light hearted crime show like Bones or Castle. Although, this season, they've changed some things up to attract more viewers. But, those changes aren't good ones. They, of course, brought in extra white male co-leads because, as we show them time and time again, black men can't lead these kinds of shows on their own. That's their logic.

At some point we have to learn to play the game so we get what we want.

7. samson1701

You don't have to actually watch. Put that shit on and go clean the bathroom, run to the store or something. Just to get it counted.

8. The Dark King

If I'm not entertained I simply can't watch. My time is valuable

9. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Good points, but unfortunately that's what black means in America. Have you ever notice when black people say someone isn't black enough or acting black they
    are talking about Hood stuff.

But the optimism is there because the perception is changing. It's just a slow process that's all. We do have black actors out there with range that
    are also fan favorites. Mike Colter, Mahershala Ali, John Boyega, ect. As long as the racist in hollywood don't poison people's minds with that thinking, we still have a shot. I don't see anybody giving up there are tv shows and movies that are still to come with black male leads that aren't stereotypical.

10. samson1701

Oh, I understand. And, I agree. I don't watch anything that doesn't entertain me. But, as I posted earlier, I put that shit on in the background, mute the volume and go on about my day. Do that within 7 days of DVRing it just so the numbers get counted.

Hell, I bought tickets online for "Get Out's" opening weekend and still haven't seen the movie. Just wanted to support it. I think stuff like that is important so we can get a broader range of stories told with black males in the leads.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  11. The Dark King

I've actually been thinking of funding some art projects through this lending platform. It's an interesting way to invest and you get to choose the projects you want to fund.

12. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Joss Whedon In Talks To Write/Direct BATGIRL Solo Film

In a stunning development, Variety is reporting that Joss Whedon has been enlisted to helm a Batgirl solo feature for Warner Bros., which will be the latest entry to their ever-growing DC Films Universe.

In addition to directing, Whedon will also write and produce the untitled Batgirl standalone project, which will be his first film venture since Avengers: Age of Ultron. The report also adds that the idea for the film was conceived within the last month, so at this point in time, it's still uncertain whether the superheroine will ultimately make appearances in The Batman or Gotham City Sirens.

Whedon had previously expressed interest in directing a female-led superhero movie, specifically naming both Black Widow and a female-only Avengers movie as potential ideas that interested him in the past, but alas, neither project ever generated much traction with the higher-ups. However, with Batgirl, which will be DC's second solo film with a female lead, it looks as though he's finally gotten his wish.

It's still early for casting rumors, but Alicia Silverstone (Batman & Robin) and the late Yvonne Craig (ABC's Batman) have both played the iconic character in the past. It's also unknown whether we'll see either J.K. Simmons or Ben Affleck drop by in her adventure, but it's certainly a possibility.

No other producers have been announced just yet, but Toby Emmerich, Jon Berg, and Geoff Johns will oversee the feature for the studio. Batgirl is now the latest DC Film to enter active development, following Suicide Squad 2, Gotham City Sirens, The Batman, Nightwing, Shazam, Black Adam, The Flash, Cyborg, and Man of Steel 2.

Whedon is, of course, best known for his groundbreaking work on 2012's The Avengers, which is still the highest-grossing superhero movie of all-time, and its 2015 sequel. He's also made contributions to several other superhero films over the years, including X-Men, Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger, Thor: The Dark World, and Captain America: The Winter Soldier. He's also developed several hit television series, such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse, and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

13. samson1701

That's a good idea. Let me know how that pans out. Once I'm back to making some meaningful income, I may look into doing the same thing.

14. The Dark King

It's actually going ok my only issue is I can't really pull my investment unless the loan is repaid or take a major hit.
    And if you're looking for meaningful income you should really research some emerging cryptocurrencies. There is still a lot to be made and 2018 is gonna be a crazy year

15. 4north1side2

Anymore info?

16. The Dark King

What kind of info would you like?

17. 4north1side2

Emerging crypto currency

18. The Dark King

I can't give specifics but I will say pay attention to those doing innovative things with the blockchain like etherium for example. They are using it for transmitting contracts as well as money.
    Also look for coins with a good following on social media. Community matters

19. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Wow. I didn't know Finn is the only "Star Wars Episode VII" character whose action figures flopped.

I been hearing folks say that Ta-Nehisi Coates has fucked up "Black Panthers" comics.

20. samson1701

Just finished Iron Fist. While, it's not horrible. It's not good either. Quality wise, this is like the Iron Man 2 or Thor of the Matvel/Netflix universe.

The first two seasons and 4 or 5 episodes of the current season of Arrow are better than this.

Iron Fist was just ... sloppy.