The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

There's no such thing as a bad character, only bad writing. That's the main reason why they will never flip a black character and make him/her white. They can always take a shitty (white) character and make him great. Non white characters are now starting to shine because you now have both white & non-white creators handling them instead of strictly white dudes. The race flipping we've seen with some characters is basically an evening out of representation as in the real world.

I'm not saying race swap all willy nilly, but if it doesn't have an overall impact on the character and their motivations, I don't see a problem. Thor being black won't work. Same with Batman. Superman being black opens up a whole new dynamic to an alien character. Same with Professor X considering the whole mutant struggle being an allegory for racial struggle. Just my two cents, though.

2. thwurefet5

thwurefet5 New Member

A teaser trailer for the animated Miles Morales film came out recently:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Miles seems to be one of the few newer heroes that can hold his own.

3. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. samson1701

Anyone catch, "Bright" on Netflix? I give it a 6.5. Worth watching. But, not good.

5. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I really wanted to like it, but I just didn't. Although I really would like to see more stories that take place in it's world.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  6. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

That movie got far more hate than it deserved I actually liked. Black people in fantasy that's new

7. samson1701

Having us in more fantasy fare is a good step forward.

I'm watching, "Train To Busain" tonight. My girl is spending Christmas with her family so I'm like a kid in a candy store with all the crap I'm watching.

I give zero fucks about Christmas. So, I'm using this alone time to get caught up on some shit. Being able to do so without, "Is there something we can watch together" is like manna from heaven to me.

8. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I saw Train To Busan. I liked it a lot. South Korea has been making some pretty effective horror and suspenseful thrillers in recent years.

9. samson1701

Lookin' like Luke Cage with a taser. But, I'm gonna support it anyway. Hope the writing is on point.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I've been waiting for a DC show to feel substantive. Although, it feels like they watched the Black Panther trailer a few times before putting this trailer together.

11. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I'm shocked.

12. The Dark King

The fact they made him middle aged and have his two daughters on the posters and in the trailer turned me all the way off. No other CW hero ever had to do that. They were all young and good looking to drive the whole hearthrobe thing and they were all stand alone heroes whose journey we follow. Smallville Arrow The Flash Supergirl. All 20 something actors all fresh faced all of them given time to develop. And of course this fuckers story takes place in the hood. I want it to crash and burn so bad. I honestly don't give a fuck about representation if this is the best we get. I'm sick of unrefined hood type black dudes as the representation of black men. Zero sophistication zero sex appeal. No kid is going to want to be Black Lighting for Halloween might as well call him Winston.

13. samson1701

I've heard that. Not much into horror. But, I do love my zombie films.

14. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

You might like the film Assassination, it is an action period film set in Korea in the 30's when the Japanese military took occupied it prior to the 2nd World War. A very handsome production. Or the 20th century style western called The Good, The Bad And The Weird. One of the actors was in the remake of The Magnificent Seven with Denzel Washington.

Or the chilling whodunnit called Office. It kept me guessing.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  15. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Too much like Luke Cage but with more pyrotechnics.

16. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Well they kind of are being accurate with him being Jefferson Pierce of New Earth. If they were to make him young it wouldn't be an updated show, something that they were probably aiming for. My only gripe is the choice. Of all Black super heroes to add to their line up on CW. I'm still going to check it out because it is different, but I would have like to see and still like to see The CW add someone like John Stewart, Jason Rusch, Nathan Jones(Coldcast), Steel/John Henry Irons Bronze Tiger but more so Static Shock.

17. The Dark King

That was my thought exactly you could have had a character with the same power ie Static Shock and would have gotten the whole coming of age thing as well as promoting black nerdiness but oh no we can only exist in the hood with drug dealers and drive bys. It won't get a single second of my viewing time.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. darkcurry

And I actually prefer The Jason Rusch Firestorm over The Legends Of Tomorrow one. And The Michael Holt Mr. Terrific over the Curtis Holt one. CW really watered down those two.

19. The Dark King

It's an unwritten rule that there can't be any powerful black men on these shows. Its almost blatant the way they portray us. On Supergirl Jimmy gets demoted from love interest to unwanted sidekick who has to hear that crime fighting isn't something he's allowed to do while her sister runs around fighting the same threats without armor. Firestorm couldn't have any agency without the old white guy, old white guy dies black guy has to fucking leave. I thought they would have at least let him have his own power like the two black females (who manage to find white love interests) or the white guys who have no power or lose power only to get it again. But nope bye bye black guy who never had a love interest while everyone else on the ship did, he was just a mama's boy. Arrow of course Mr. Terrific is gay no way we could have two competent black men with women in their lives and to top it off an Olympic Level athlete is some how always a bumbling fool and Diggle who was kind of bad ass is the only person in the history of the show to suffer from an injury that makes him less powerful just as he takes .. sorry is given... the mantle of Green Arrow. Oh and my favorite Kid Flash who is just as fast as Barry for some reason has to always leave town. It's clear as day they don't want black men to appear even the slightest bit powerful.

20. darkcurry

It's like an objective isn't it? How do you give damn near every black male character less than their white male counterparts? This is one of the things I wish the hollywood side of this woman's movement would wake up and realize that WE are still getting the shaft by white men and treated like 2nd class citizens.