The Offensive Awards

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bliss, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

2. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

I saw that. People really bother me sometimes.

3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Comedy is dead. Everyone is offended and everyone wants it their way.

4. Paniro187

Paniro187 Restricted

5. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

The meme is harmless, but I don't give liberal people an automatic pass for racially questionable things they say or do. She should be held to the same scrutiny as any other person in a situation like this.

6. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

I miss the year 2004.

7. Paniro187

Paniro187 Restricted

A racist liberal? Wtf you talking about. Liberals, like black people, cannot be racist.

8. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

Yeah. I was like really? Y'all mad over that'd

9. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Is that the year before it all started to go to hell?, lol

10. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

While l agree no pass for libs in general terms..but in terms of "in a situation like this" l hope you don't mean that literally, right? Do you find this questionable?

11. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

No I don't. This "controversy" is silly.

However i do find it interesting how differently liberal people respond to one of their own doing, something that might get construed as offensive. A lot of liberals have the "i can't possibly be racist, I'm a democrat" mentality. Which leaves them blind to their own biases, and blind to how the things they do and say can come across to people.

12. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

You summed it up beautifully, Thump.

13. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

Pretty much. Dave Chappelle was on tv and everyone knew what a joke was.

14. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Well put. People are just assuming racist things now, instead of paying attention to what's really racist. I learned my lesson with Michael Richards, Donald Sterling, Duane "The Dog" Chapman. Shit can come out of nowhere with a person you think you know like my homophobic ex-girlfriend. But what Ellen DID with the BOLT image was not racist. I'm paying attention to her and she doesn't strike me as a racist.

I personally believe what needs to happen is people need educated on the meaning of racism and not this water down version that keeps getting fed out there. Then we have be aware that not every racist is blunt. Like for example when Stacy Dash called out BET and The NAACP Image awards on fostering racial segregation. The Only difference between BET and a network like CBS is that BET has race in the title, other than that they both do the same thing which is cater to one race more than every other race. I remember back in the day when a comedian use to make fun of the networks names and what they "really" meant. One of the jokes about NBC was "What NBC really stood for was the No Blacks Channel" (I'm paraphrasing.) It was a joke and a shot at networks for the majority of the shows being white. Just because white people don't put their race in the title doesn't mean they aren't making it about race and trying not to add many people of color.

But that is what needs to be understood about racism, It can be blunt, it can be subtle, It can be sneaky, It can be a lot of things. It takes really looking in depth and at the big picture and examining the context and gathering up facts to identify it.

The truth is racism is smart, because it is an weaponized ideology that is destroying people from within rendering them ignorant and that's why you have people calling non racist people racist and racist people not KNOWING that what they are doing or what they are... is racist. Their too ignorant to the meaning of racism to understand.

15. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Racism is not always overt, it is often covert.
    Comedian Carlos Mencia once said that living in America is like being a member of a fraternity because everyone is going to get gazed from time to time.

Comedy is an art in which we could laugh at ourselves. We need laughter.

"A laugh is a very powerful thing. Sometimes in life, it's the only weapon we have."
    Roger Rabbit

Comedians make fun of everything and everyone. We know what he or she is doing. But as it is also said, "It's not what you say, it's the way you say it."

I have seen a Christian stand-up.comic once. He was funny, I have met a comedian who appeared on Comedy Central and has a regular gig on Carnival Cruise Lines.

Like acting, comedians have to come onstage and do and say something unexpected. The element of surprise is their stock and trade. But there are no guarantees.

16. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Totally.

17. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Great post. Though l will say l knew NBC back then labeled as, Nothing But Cosby. (When his show and ADW ruled.)

Another example is when Deblasio and Hillary joked about BPT. Ok, might not have been appropriate since all eyes were on them, but my husband taught me what that meant. It's a joke. And it's something l relate to because Greeks are well known for the exact same thing. Notoriously, lol. And we laugh at ourselves for it. We DGAF. We're on GPT. Deal. :p

I heard on the radio this morning that people now just automatically look for "microagressions" and if people didn't have Twitter to take to, they wouldn't be half as offended as they say they are.

With the Ellen controversy, it spoiled to me what has been some fun memes. Usain loved it...does that count to anyone?

18. Rochiebabes86

Rochiebabes86 Well-Known Member

This made me laugh, but I think you're onto something. I wish Twitter didn't exist sometimes.

I try not to say what's racist and what isn't, but I think she was trying to give love to Bolt for being the most amazing sprinter of all time. She would have been better off having him on her show.

19. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Oh maaannn

Today's Award goes to
    .. Princeton.

[​IMG]

Princeton scrubs ‘men’ from campus
    By David K. Li August 18, 2016

Princeton has become no man’s land.

The famed Ivy League institution rolled out a series of gender-neutral terms aimed at removing the word “man” and other male-leaning language from official school material.

As first reported Thursday by the conservative campus news outfit The College Fix, Princeton’s Human Resources and Office of Communications issued a four-page memo filled with examples of gender-neutral terminology that must now be used in official school documents, such as:

The word “actress” should be replaced by “actor.”

A “cameraman” must now be called a “camera operator.”

There will be no more references to a “cleaning lady,” but instead an “office cleaner.”

New students are no longer “freshmen” but rather “first-year students.”

A “mailman” no longer delivers letters or packages, because that’s the work now of a “mail carrier,” “letter carrier” or “postal worker.”

Nothing is to ever be done for the betterment of “mankind” but instead for “humanity,” “human kind” or simply “people.”

A “waiter” or “waitress” will no longer dish out grub, as that’s now the work of a “server.”

An “average man” is now an “average person” or “ordinary person.”

Other guidelines? Instead of “man and wife” use spouses or partners. Switch out “man made” with artificial, handmade or manufactured. Don’t use the verb “to man,” as in to work something, instead use to operate or to staff. Throw out workmanlike and replace it with skillful.

The memo goes on to list a variety of occupations that typically include the word “man” in them and offers replacements: business person instead of businessman, firefighter instead of fireman, ancestors instead of forefathers, and so on.

[​IMG]

20. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

:smt005:smt005:smt005:smt005:smt005