The Official Soccer/Futbol Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by LA, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Machiavel

Machiavel Active Member

Soccer Team Valuations
    #1 Manchester United
    Team Value 1$1,870(€1,409/£1,305) Million
    (2008: #1)

Manchester United is the richest club in the world, thanks to shrewd marketing to a worldwide fan base. The Red Devils have won 17 English league championships, nine since the start of the Premiership in 1993. That dominance of English football has been challenged but not eclipsed by Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. Bought by Tampa Bay Buccaneers owner Malcolm Glazer in 2005.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2009/34/soccer-values-09_Manchester-United_340001.html

2. Madiba

Madiba New Member

Haha, Chelsea are not allowed to purchase players for the next two transfer windows. Fifa have banned them. Chelsea say they are going to appeal though. It should be interesting.

3. fromrussiawithlove

fromrussiawithlove New Member

AHEM! 18! ;)
    We're the richest in theory anyway. Pretty much all of the money we make goes on paying that massive bastard debt that the Glazers have brought on us. What we earnt in merchandise last year only covered the interest of the debt and paid a very small amount of it off. And yet the Glazers don't lose any of their money but are raping our club. Thanks, Glazers!

And that's mad about Chelsea, isn't it? I didn't the ban would be so extreme.

4. Raul Sinclair

Raul Sinclair New Member

First of Go ARSENAL....best team in the premier league

Second...who are everyone's favorite to win the World Cup '10

I think its Argentina or Brazil

5. fromrussiawithlove

I think we'll let the trophies speak for themselves :D (in all seriousness though, if we don't win it, I'd rather see L'arse win the premiership than the scousers or chelski)

Nah, Argentina have been piss poor over the last year. Brazil haven't been great either, so my money will be on a European team. The obvious favourites are Netherlands, Spain and Germany.

6. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

"L'arse", watch it Russia! :p Go Arsenal! Seriously, the scousers look good this year, even with Adebayor. As for the World Cup, Brazil does look awfully tough, sad to say it looks like another early exit for the USA.

7. Raul Sinclair

Raul Sinclair New Member

Lets see who the americans get grouped against First. If they even qualify for the World Cup.

Their performance in the Fifa confederations cup wasnt the best. But they did make it to final against brazil

And the win against Spain was delightful lol

8. fromrussiawithlove

Yeah I enjoyed that. Mostly because I really hate the Spanish national team :rolleyes:

But yeah, I'm rooting for Russia and England in the world cup, obviously! I think Russia will qualify but won't do that well but I actually have a bit of hope in England for once!

9. Machiavel

Machiavel Active Member

I hate the Spanish team as well and I am sure you can guess why :)

I too would be rooting for Russia and Ukraine in case they both qualify. Archavine is simply out of this world. Did you see the goal he scored against you guys last week? What a shot! He needs more support from the other Russian players on a national level.

I am making plans with some friends to go see the World Cup in South Africa next year. That would be the first time in my life that I attend the World Cup.

10. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Yes, the Spain win was great, TOTALLY choked against Brazil, we had them, up by two, and we give up three for the loss.... the USA is so great at so many sports, and we just can't get our act together in soccer/football. It seems our best, most talented athletes still gravitate to American football/basketball/baseball.

11. fromrussiawithlove

The sports that nobody else really plays ;)

Nah, you're right, America has some incredible athletes. We see this in every athletic competition but for some reason, football just doesn't work for the US. I do think that you have some good individual players though, like Brad Friedel, so I do believe that the US national team will improve eventually.

12. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

LOL, you little smart-ass you, I do hope you are right and that the US national team keeps improving, I mean really, only one 3rd place finish in almost 80 years of tournament play, pathetic. At least you Brits won it all once......even if it was 43 years ago ;)

13. Machiavel

Machiavel Active Member

Actually, most of the Americans soccer players are much more athletic and faster than their European counterparts. I watch many US games and it's always exciting to see London Donovan, Beasley and the other outrun and physically overpower their opponents. What the US players lack is technique, tactical sense, and in the case of the game against Brazil when they were up 2 goals to 0 in the Confederations Cup, they lacked "the killer instinct".

The US team is a fun team to watch because most of the time they play fast paced and generous football.

14. fromrussiawithlove

Oh Loki, I hope for all of our sakes that England win the World Cup again soon, just so we can stop watching that damn black and white '66 video that they drag out at every England match!

Honestly though, I haven't watched many USA matches so I can't comment on the technique that Mach speaks of, but the US national team have got some very good individual players.

15. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Funny they don't bring back the film of the 1950 match of England vs US when the Americans won 1-0. There was even a movie about it called The Game of Their Lives(The Miracle Game on DVD) made in 2005.

16. FG

FG Well-Known Member

There is a wide difference style of play between the male teams - European, African, Middle Eastern and South American... The women tema on the other hand seems a bit more homogenous to me, maybe because of the relatively newness of it.

I love wathing football on the Spanish chanels even though I dont understand the language because of the GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL:)
    I also like the Dutch and the Italians although I get tired at the drama during large tournaments:)
    [YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nBP67cehL_M&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nBP67cehL_M&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Just kidding:)

Im a Slatan fan though.

17. wtarshi

wtarshi Well-Known Member

18. fromrussiawithlove

19. wtarshi

wtarshi Well-Known Member

lol....i put it down to the game being such a low scoring one, that's bound to get people angry

20. LA

LA Well-Known Member

lol, seriously.

1 point per game?

WTF kind of sport is this?