The Official Soccer/Futbol Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by LA, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

In Women's Football the US is a powerhouse via some students from UNC Chapel Hill. Wished the men could be like the women in goals.

2. fromrussiawithlove

fromrussiawithlove New Member

3 points if you win :p
    I don't think it's that to be honest. A lot of non football fans always put it down to the low scores but it's not that. Traditionally, football is a working class game and us working class folk are just mad at the world and like to take it out during the football.

3. FG

FG Well-Known Member

I know rite!
    Sweden used to be the women soccer power house in the beginning, they slacked and the Norwegians took over.. and then... BOOM! USA all the way. They are pretty amazing!

4. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

You got that right Geek,now the German women are as good as the men. How many countries where both the Men and Women's football teams won the World Cup? I know of Germany but I know there are more.

5. tuckerreed

tuckerreed New Member

Honduras and Argentina

Honduras because that is my second home and Argentina because i lived there as a kid also and i love the team, esp Messi!!

6. LaydeezmanCris

LaydeezmanCris New Member

My teams are Nigeria, England the USA. Unfortunately, the "Super Eagles" performed abysmally and are out:mad:. Thankfully, the latter two are still in it and I will be rooting for them all the way.

7. fromrussiawithlove

I expected a lot more from this Brazil Portugal game. Not impressive so far, but I think we should stop expecting anything from this world cup now!

8. LA

LA Well-Known Member

I completely agree!!!

:smt015

9. fromrussiawithlove

Spain are cheating as always. Standard Torres, always cheating!
    I hate that guy :smt096

10. LA

LA Well-Known Member

Fernando Torres is the best.

Him and Ronaldinho.

11. fromrussiawithlove

He's a cheat. He's one of the worst divers in the premier league, if not the worst. He's a good player and doesn't need to be diving and cheating but he just can't cut it out. I think it's a Spanish thing, they all do it and are actually encouraged to do it.
    Remember when Drogba cut out his cheating? He became an even better player because once he stopped diving, he could use his muscle and sheer strength to just destroy players.

Dunno about Ronaldinho, think his days are over to be honest. The two players I've really liked in the world cup so far are Villa and Hernandez. And Drogba too, but it's a shame he's not going through.

And a goal for Chile!! Come on, one more!!

12. BlackMasterJay

BlackMasterJay Well-Known Member

Some of the best strikers have also been the best divers...

I think hollywood should scout for future "actors" at the world cup......these guys sure can act....

13. fromrussiawithlove

But that's what I mean about Drogba. He was one of the worst for diving but was always a fantastic striker, but since he's cut it out he's been even better. I know in certain countries (Spain, Portugal, Italy just at the top of my head) they encourage their players to dive and get penalties and opposing players sent off, but we really frown upon that here. Especially when players as good as Torres resort to doing it.

And yeah I agree, the worst was the bloke from Ivory Coast that got Kaka sent off.

14. BlackMasterJay

Nah man..

that red card was kind of pay back for the clear hand-ball goal scored by that no-name brazilian guy.

15. robina

robina New Member

michel owens been injured this season so selecting him aint an option

and feel free to hate england, were closed anyway after denzbenz's out bursts :)

16. BlackMasterJay

Ok, england is probably a beautiful country and certainly enjoyable (if i ever visit),,,but its those OBNOXIOUS, BARBERIC, HOOLIGANS that you all call "fans" that i hate. In fact i hate all european soccer fans..you people are an utter disgrace to the game and you shouldnt be allowed at the stadiums. Of course that would result in zero revenue but whatever..

You make detroit pistons fans look like angels

Im rooting against you all the way.

17. robina

robina New Member

so your judging the whole population of england on the drunk idiots who attend football matches? geez thanks a bunch

18. fromrussiawithlove

Actually, our fans are probably the most behaved on Europe.
    Hooliganism was strong here in the 1970s and somewhat in the 1980s but in the past twenty years it's really died down. It just doesn't happen anymore.
    Scottish fans on the other hand? Well that's a different story...

19. Centreville

Centreville New Member

I've adopted Arsenal FC as a favorite Premier team since Kroenke is a major shareholder.

20. Malik True

Malik True New Member

Cristiano Ronaldo: Baby Via Surrogate

Having made the surprise announcement that he's a father a few days back, the latest reports tell that Cristiano Ronaldo paid a surrogate mother to have his baby.
    With insiders dishing that the soccer stud's son was born on June 17th at a weight of 9lb 8ox, Portuguese newspaper Diario de Noticias adds that the child was conceived by the surrogate at the end of last summer in San Diego.

Meanwhile, Ronaldo's sister Katia spoke with press about the little bundle of joy - saying that he is an exact replica of his famous daddy.
    “He has brown eyes and brown hair like Cristiano,” said Katia. “He’s very happy, of course! Who isn’t happy having children? The baby looks like him, although he’s still very small to see what his features will be like. He’s very calm, he just eats and sleeps.”

Ae-yo he's officially suspect to me!! What man wants to have a child without putting in the work to create one? What type of a man pays to do this? Furthermore with all the traveling and supposed womanizing why would you become father if you are not around. If I am waaaay off base on this he's at least a serious narcissist...