The official travel advice thread

Discussion in 'The International Perspective' started by Be-you-tiful86, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Be-you-tiful86

Be-you-tiful86 Well-Known Member

Many of us may travel once in a while.
    I thought it would be nice to have a thread to come to & see if anyone has been to a place you consider visiting yet and may have some travel advice for you.

For instance I am going to Amsterdam for a week in october and so far I have figured out a hotel already,as well as a food tour I'd like to go on,as well as a few places I'd like to go to,but would like to see if anyone has been there yet and can recommend specific sights,museums,parks,restaurants,bars etc.

2. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Using the Amsterdam card can get you into museums,trams,etc. Also the library is great to research whenever you want.

3. Be-you-tiful86

Be-you-tiful86 Well-Known Member

4. Soulthinker

That is a good hotel for you. Me? Being a cheapo I went to a hostel not far from Central Station and the redlight district.

5. Hypestyle

Hypestyle New Member

I'd love to take a trip to Amsterdam. I've never been, much less really anywhere of an outright foreign country. In Amsterdam, are the women friendly to black American men?

6. Soulthinker

No doubt they are H. Hope you get a Dutch female friend to hook you up.

7. HarveyGent101

HarveyGent101 New Member

On my way to Pittsburgh next weekend. Anyone ever been or lives/lived there? What and wherr are the cool hangout spots?

8. buglerroller

buglerroller Well-Known Member

Check out this site, http://www.vacationstogo.com/

I am planning on jumping on one of the deals on the site, if you enter your email they wont spam you.

The only issue I have is living in the Los Angeles area, there are not as many destinations other than Mexico for a trip, however, 4 nights for $319 a person sounds like a nice little getaway. I think of it as, versus going out to dinner 4 times in a month spending $80 each time, I'd rather go on a cruise for that money.

These days I am all about more short vacations, less dining out and spending money on material things. You cant replace memories...

9. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

That's starting to be my approach to life. I just wish I'd thought that way a few years ago.

10. buglerroller

You and me both, I would have a lot more stamps in my passport.

There are people out there with 30+ pairs of Jordan's and have never been out of the country...

11. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. buglerroller

ha! nice one! :cool:

13. Cherok33

Cherok33 Well-Known Member

Luckily I did a lot of my traveling when I was in the military and also when I first got out. I was working for the same company I work with now, but in a different capacity.

I had chances to visit places like Korea, Germany, Hawaii, Italy, Canada, Spain and Saint Maarten.

I never did get the chance to stay very long in some of the most of beautiful places, but I can say that I've checked them off my bucket list. I still would like to visit Japan, Amsterdam, Brazil, Tahiti, Australia, Africa, and France, to name a few.

I agree though, it's hard to not spend a bunch of money when you travel on things like food. It's really nice to be able to try new things don't get me wrong but I would rather spend my money enjoying fine dining and eating exotic cuisine's then just cheeseburgers and french fries...

I just came back from Disney with my kids and that place sucked me dry! I left with empty pockets (not literally, but they sure felt light on the way home lol)

But yes, it's the memories that matter and that's why I wanted to take my baby to Disney before she got too big. I wanted her to be old enough to be able to remember it.

14. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I remember the Disney Effect. I hadn't been to Disney World since Grad Night '84. While the rides, attractions, parties and concerts(The Dazz Band, Weird Al Yankovic, Night Ranger and others played there that night)were free to us, the food was not. My late older brother, my younger brother and my father had all been to Las Vegas more than once. I haven't been there at all. I saw their vacation videos. There is a lot I need to see in this world.

15. Cherok33

Cherok33 Well-Known Member

Yes Disney is definitely entertaining and you benefit a lot by staying on the resorts because they have a lot of cool activities like campfires or movies under the stars. Las Vegas is definitely an experience you should go at least one time in your life

16. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

My older brother told me, "Man, you gotta go to Vegas. You'll love it. Let me know and I'll hook you up." Sadly, he died at age 48. But, I will go to Vegas when I can afford it.. My younger brother and sister-in law told me that I would like it there. We'll see.

17. HarveyGent101

HarveyGent101 New Member

I also want to take a trip to Vegas.