TINYPIC's demise...now what...

Discussion in 'General Site Information - Guidelines' started by Bliss, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

... about the thousands of pictures on this website that were uploaded to tinypic?
    Short of having to download each and every one that we uploaded, or enjoyed looking at... This sites threads are going to be ghost-like after September 16th.

Am I correct in my assumption that all the pictures will disappear now from this forum? @webmaster @Tamstrong :oops:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

The ones uploaded via tiny pic will disappear, which will be a lot of pics, but all we can do is roll with it. There are other ways to post pics without having to use a photo hosting site. For pics off the net a place like TP is unnecessary. I haven't used it except for personal pics in a long time. And fortunately not all the pics were posted through TP, so they haven't all gone away.

It's kind of like all the youtube videos that disappeared after Webbie updated the site. The videos & images in old posts may have disappeared, but we can still enjoy posting more. At least we won't have to worry about any repeats. ;)

3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Haha, I was just typing to you as you type this so ignore it. Okay but a lot of the pics that I had posted I think to preserve them I did them through tinypic because many hosting sites would close down or remove permissions. Oh well it is what it is.

4. Tamstrong

Yep, but it sure sucks the big one. I lost a few, but thankfully I mainly used the uploading feature for posting pics and didn't save many. I'm glad I still have a lot of stuff on my old computer.

5. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Okay that's what I'll do from now on, upload the pics.

6. webmaster

webmaster Administrator Staff Member

It would have been possible to capture the pics before TinyPic made them inaccessible to 3rd party sites on September 9 by looking for links to tinypic.com in the database, saving the pics to a directory on wwbm, and then changing the link in the database to point to wwbm instead of tinypic.com.

However, some members purposely use these photo-sharing sites to control access to their images and where they are displayed. So privacy would be a concern if we found a way to circumvent this.

There are some broken background images that a developer used on the template of this site that links to tinypic. I'm trying to find and correct them.

7. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

@Tamstrong unrelated topic....What happened to the IR/Mixed race families thread?

8. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

S/N: l believe tinypic extended the deadline from the 9th of September to the 16th.

9. Tamstrong

That's a good question. Several days ago I got a request to merge it with the OP's original thread on the topic in the Men's Locker Room. When I saw your post, I thought maybe I'd left it in the MLR by mistake, but I couldn't find it anywhere. I spoke to Webbie about it, and he said there may be an older version in backup he could take a look at to see if he could figure out what happened. If it's in there, there's a possibility he could restore it, but not without a lot of hassle that he says is not really worth the trouble. Hopefully it was just some kind of error or weird glitch that'll be an easy fix. It suck if it's gone for good, because it was one of our best threads.

My suggestion if it can't be recovered is to start a new thread on the topic yourself, and you could start it with the pic of the big family you found on Reddit. It was one of the best pics in the thread IMO. Since the tinypic shutdown, a lot of the pics in the original thread are gone anyway, so maybe a fresh start is a good thing.

10. medullaslashin

medullaslashin Well-Known Member

Does the webmaster know that the background image of this site was hosted on tinypic, so now you have the tinypic "broken image" thing as the background to this forum?

11. Tamstrong