Upcoming IR slate

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by JamalSpunky, May 11, 2019.

1. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I know the thumbnail will have you thinking that this is yet another Kristen Bell IR role, but she isn't in the IR relationship in this one. (it's her mom)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  2. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Drama starring Florence Pugh and Morgan Freeman (don't worry the IR couple doesn't include Morgan Freeman)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Saw Empire of Light starring Olivia Coleman. It's decent but, disappointing.

• List
  5. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

Tiny Beautiful Things Coming Soon On Hulu April 7, 2023

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  6. darkcurry

A rare IR married couple in the title roles.

7. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

Either out of laziness, indifference or lack of inspiration, I do not post in this thread as much these days even though I created it back in 2019. In the past plus year a lot of things that I knew about in advance I never got around to sharing and waited for you guts to find out on your own (like Somebody I used to Know with Jay Ellis or this Tiny Beautiful Things show listed above). One other project I was closed lipped on has also been discovered and talked about recently on this board recently as well. That project is the movie "Gran Turismo."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...spice-girls-geri-halliwell-horner-1235255227/

But that doesn't matter. What is apparently being done in this film is so rare I want to post more about it anyway.

The story:

With a script by Jason Hall (American Sniper) and Zach Baylin (King Richard) and based on a true story, the project is described as the ultimate wish-fulfillment tale of a teenage Gran Turismo player whose gaming skills won him a series of Nissan competitions to become an actual professional race-car driver. Madekwe is playing the teen while Harbour is a retired driver who teaches him to drive.

Madewke is the central lead character which alone is enough to celebrate. Unless you pay close attention black actors, especially young and relatively unknown ones still making their way up, are not getting many opportunities to lead. It helps that this movie is based on a true story otherwise Madewke wouldn't be getting this chance.

Another benefit of this being a real life tale is the casting of his dad and mom:

upload_2023-1-29_14-38-27.jpeg

upload_2023-1-29_14-39-6.jpeg

Yes, in what should be a shock to movie going audiences, there will be an interracial mom and dad in which the father is black and the mother is white. If you wonder why this is a big deal just try to think of the last time you saw such a coupling in a mainstream Hollywood film. Even in movies in which there is a white parent and a black parent who are only shown for a scene or a couple of minutes, it is pretty much always a white father and a black mother. Hollywood has made BM-WW father-mother pairings as rare as those between Klingon and Vulcans. So its cool that we are likely to see a positive representation of this type of marriage.

Another positive is that the film will also include an actor who plays the younger brother of Madewke's character. The actor is another upcoming dude who needs opportunities: Daniel Puig. So congrats for him too.

Also we know by a released clip of a kissing scene that Madewke's character has a white girl as a love interest. Thank fuckin' God for that because it goes without saying we don't get enough of this scenario.

One reason why it was a near lock that he would have a white girlfriend is because I don't see one single black female in the IMDB credits. And that is a big reason for celebration as well. Now, I know some won't care for me making that remark and may feel it qualifies as a form of bashing black women but hear me out. It is TIRING to see black women being tethered to black male leads in practically every film. While every other demographic (white men, white women, black women, Latin men, Latino women, Asian men and Asian women, etc) get a break enough noticeable times from being paired with someone of the opposite sex of their race, the main duty of black male leads is apparently to keep giving black actresses even more jobs by having them play their love interests. Just recently a black actress was cast late in the process for the upcoming (and unnecessary) Captain America Falcon flick and the rumor is she is supposed to be Sam Wilson's love interest. So a film I already had little interest in seeing is now giving me more reasons to stay away. And for those of you who think I am being hateful I am instead fatigued with black men not being given the options when it comes to who Hollywood choose to cast as their onscreen romantic partners.

And it goes ever beyond than that. Whenever there is a central black male character those films tend to always overstuff the stories with multiple black female characters who play dominant parts in the lives of those central guys. This rule does not apply to white male leads. They are more likely going to be surrounded by other white men (their buddies, their brothers, their fathers, their sons, and so on). Also whether it is a TV ad, TV show or film, if there is a black dad and a white mom, their pairing tends to be made more palatable with their offspring being predominantly girls. In this film we get something that is almost unheard of: a black male-white female pairing that results in sons. If you think I am going over the top with this please point me to all the examples out there that does what this film is doing. I just read something on this site about that new teen wolf show doing something similar and I'm guessing it was mentioned largely because of how so scarce that is.

I hope the film ends up good and having great success. But I know that for the latter to happen it will be relying on the box office (in America at least) of the white, Hispanic and Asian audiences. Because not even the white folks are likely to take offense as much as black folks probably will. Not only do I believe the African American community will ignore it, I also bet you there will be reactions on social media about the film being anti black women as a result of "black woman erasure" blah, blah, blah. But its not erasing them, it is instead following the true details of these real life people. Keep an eye out for how the black community treats Little Mermaid and pushes it for its positive portrayal of a black girl with a white dad and a white love interests and then compare it with how they will end up viewing this movie. There's no way I see us as a community pointing to the central lead as a role mode for black boys and that will be because of who his mother is and who he hooks up with.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

I'm In. I've always considered Kathryn Hahn to be MILFy.

9. ColiBreh1

Update on Netflix action romcom film "Back in Action":

We still don't know 100% for sure, but based on those pics it does look like Jamie Foxx & Cameron Diaz are co-lead love interests.

• List
  10. beeehave

beeehave Active Member

11. beeehave

beeehave Active Member

I learned from experience that the black significant other of the leading lady doesn't always necessarily mean it is to be celebrated.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Young Herschel

Young Herschel Well-Known Member

LMN Premiere movie ~ "Her affair to DIE for" is coming back on at midnight!! It is rated LSV and is a steamy thriller with IR love and even IR lust in its subplots!!

13. Young Herschel

^^^ DAAAAAAAMMMMMMNNNN!!! She forced that brotha to his back . . . then winked at him with the confidence of an olympic champion!! Oh the perks of going to med school ;)

14. Henry Dubrios

Henry Dubrios New Member

Any trailer?

15. Young Herschel

They aired one on LMN which prompted me to schedule its premiere days in advance via Verizon reminder; search the title on YouTube. "Her affair to die for" should be available via OnDemand if you have the LMN basic cable package. I don't want post any spoilers but this LMN original has better sex scenes that actually merit the S rating for a change; most Lifetime movies do not in my dissapointed experience :(

• List
  16. ColiBreh1

Looks like this upcoming Donald Faison & Abigail Spencer NBC sitcom is now named "Extended Family" and NBC is going to be airing it on Tuesday nights. It doesn't like NBC has released a trailer yet, but found some new screenshots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• List
  17. ColiBreh1

Peacock finally dropped a trailer for the "Twisted Metal" TV series (Based on the popular video game series) starring Anthony Mackie & Stephanie Beatriz:

The deadline article when Beatriz was casted describes their relationship as an "Angtanostic bond", but with them being the 2 co-leads, who knows how it'll play out.

• List
  18. darkcurry

First Look at ‘MR. & MRS. SMITH’ starring Donald Glover and Maya Erskine.

Premiering in early 2024.

[​IMG]

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1702337420061262114

The teaser trailer that was released a couple months ago had it releasing this year in November but probably due to the Strike they moved it up so that they can hit a promotion of the series.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  19. darkcurry

MR. AND MRS. SMITH Official Trailer (2024) Donald Glover & Maya Erskine

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Jeffrey Tripp

Jeffrey Tripp Well-Known Member