Wash.Redskins to change name to Redtails?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Bliss, May 2, 2013.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Mandarin is a respected language used proudly every second by billions on the planet.

2. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

i'm leaning more towards the Washington Chinamen or the Washington Orientals

3. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Tell that to George Preston Marshall, not us.

4. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

LOL...I personally liked BD's HELL BOYS. :)

And medullaslashin had a point....they'd have a 'kicking tail' field day if The Redtails were losing, lol...

5. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

can you believe this guy

a good segment of Natives (the ones that are left anyway) are calling for a change regarding BS exploitation of their people and he's like 'who cares, football is more important than their plight'

shit is suspect than a mug

6. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

In all seriousness, I am loving what you are bringing to this thread, LOKI. Didn't know the racial roots all like that. Very interesting.

At the end of the day though, tradition is tough to change...look at TG Day.

And if Andreboba OF ALL PEOPLE is fighting kicking and screaming it :smt106, you know others surely will.

7. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

it's all good until it involves blacks

mothafucka would write a dissertation condemning that shit

8. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Bahaha...even though what you wrote is dead serious, it also reads funny as hell! [​IMG]

9. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

George Preston Marshall has been dead forever and sold the team to Jack Kent Cooke in the 1970s.

No one really even associates the team with Marshall, unless they're researching the history of the team.

Until I see 100,000 Native Americans marching on FedEx stadium, I'm rolling with Redskins till I die.:smt021

There are HSs on Native reservations who's mascot is still 'Redskins'. I know it's not the same cause it's 'in house', but the point is the word isn't universally offensive to all Native Americans.

People are against the name on principle, not how it's used.

If you're gonna ding the SKins, don't forget the Braves, KC Chiefs and Cleveland Indians too.
    [​IMG]:smt087

At least our logo is sort of dignified.

[​IMG]

Danny needs to seed a Native American scholarship fund and get tribal approval for the logo and nickname, like Florida State did.

10. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

gotdamn i completely forgot about that

[​IMG]

wish a mothafucka would put that on a baseball team

11. FG

FG Well-Known Member

Wtf?! Crazy

12. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Well I did mention it early in the thread about the Braves and their indian chop wave.

They protested it.

And yes your logo is very nice. And you have some nice fans, too. :smt050

13. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

The reason I mention Marshall is because he chose the name. It is clear that you are passionate about your team. There have been 'multiple' protests by Native Americans over the years regarding changing the name.

http://www.tucsonsentinel.com/sport...hallenges-washington-redskins-offensive-name/

"In 1992, another group of Native Americans petitioned the patent office on the same grounds and won. But the team appealed that ruling to U.S. District Court, which found in 2005 that there was not enough evidence against using the name.
    Suzan Shown Harjo, a plaintiff in the 1992 case who was at Thursday’s hearing, said the underlying question in both cases is whether team owners are arrogant or ignorant.
    “I don’t think they’re ignorant,” Harjo said. “They are ignoring that we are up against so many pressures in Indian Country.”
    The name brings up a painful history for Native Americans and keeps that history alive by characterizing them by skin color, which carries a deeper societal implication, Harjo said."

You know damn good and well that if they were the Washington "Blackskins" or something else, there would be a minority of Black people who would not be offended while the overwhelming majority of us would be outraged. Just because some Native Americans don't mind does not mean "Redskins" is not rooted in bigotry, and racism spewed forth from the diseased mind of the man who founded the club. You make a good point regarding the other pro teams, and I would like to see them changed as well, there are plenty of precedents, Dartmouth College changed from Indians to 'big green', St. Johns changed from Redmen to 'red storm', Marquette changed to 'golden eagles' from warriors, despite all the same cries of 'tradition, history, cost ect. It is never too late to do the right thing.

14. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

repped

15. Resurrected Fear

Resurrected Fear New Member

This doesn't have anything to do with the thread, but I've noticed that white people are horrible at mimicking black people. I don't know any person on the planet who talks like that or anything close.

16. 1449225

1449225 Well-Known Member

It's just a suggestion it will never happen.

17. glt1980

glt1980 Well-Known Member

Doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon, well at least as long as Dan Synder owns the team.

"We will never change the name of the team," the Washington Redskins owner told USA Today this week. "As a lifelong Redskins fan, and I think that the Redskins fans understand the great tradition and what it's all about and what it means, so we feel pretty fortunate to be just working on next season."

When asked if an on going lawsuit doesnt go his way about the name. he responded.

"We'll never change the name," he said. "It's that simple. NEVER -- you can use caps."

18. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

people thought gay marriage would never happen either

long story short, if they used mascots representing blacks or asians, that name would have been changed a long time ago

just more native american trampling by the man...

19. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

20. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

When the Redskins change their name it would be front page news in Dallas. It is easy to force a name change of a formerly Indian named school but, hard to do it to a multi million dollar sports team. Andreboba,I know the Redskins nickname is the "Hogs" would that be good having a pig mascot?