Wash.Redskins to change name to Redtails?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Bliss, May 2, 2013.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I want to respond (later) ^^ busy day at work :)

GO EAGLES...!

2. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

NFL Great Mike Ditka Goes Off On Redskins Criticism:
    'So Much Horse Sh*t'

[​IMG]

ByTom Kludt, Aug 20, 2014, 12:57 PM

excerpts..

Mike Ditka has had enough with the campaign to get the Washington Redskins to drop its racially charged name.

Ditka, who made the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a player and won a Super Bowl as a head coach, unloaded on critics of the team's name during a recent interview with RedskinsHistorian.com....

...“What’s all the stink over the Redskin name?” Ditka said in the interview, which was posted Thursday.
    “It’s so much horse shit it’s incredible. We’re going to let the liberals of the world run this world. It was said out of reverence, out of pride to the American Indian. Even though it was called a Redskin. What are you going to call them, a Proudskin? This is so stupid it’s appalling, and I hope that owner keeps fighting for it and never changes it, because the Redskins are part of an American football history, and it should never be anything but the Washington Redskins. That’s the way it is."

"Its been the name of the team since the beginning of football," he continued. "It has nothing to do with something that happened lately, or something that somebody dreamed up. This was the name, period. I mean, leave it alone. I mean, these people are silly — asinine, actually, in my opinion.”...

...Ditka isn't the only one who considers the name a tribute to Native Americans. Joe Thiesmann, a former Super Bowl-winning quarterback for the Redskins, made a similar point last year.

“I was very proud to play for the Washington Redskins, and I did it to honor Native people in that regard," Theismann said. "I think sometimes people perceive words in their own particular way."

Full article....
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/mike-ditka-washington-redskins

3. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Very funny and true, hit hits the nail on the head around the 2:00 mark...

[YOUTUBE]Dwe6gwcT8Iw#t=144[/YOUTUBE]

4. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Its very funny people in the country claim christianity but are quick to drop it when it makes them uncomfortable to do whats right.
    Gonna view this later tho

5. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Joe need to stop ...he didnt do it to honor the indians....he did it for a check.

They drafted his butt

6. qwils86

qwils86 New Member

Both Ditka and Theismann are full of shit

7. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Leave it to coach ditka to say whatever is on his mind lol

But yeah be real, native Americans were slaughtered by the white man for decades for profit. Next to slavery, that shit was atrocious. Now you want to honor them by slapping redskins on a sports team. As if that sham of a holiday thanksgiving with pics of natives and pilgrims exchanging food wasn't enough

:smt095

8. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Especially when they helped the pilgrims survive.
    So they hunt them for their redskins as proof of kill and then celebrate it

9. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

.....because Washington red scalps woulda been too obvious

10. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Lol

11. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Laugh if u want but the dehumanizations of natives is real flamboyant

Theres an auto shop here in philly called 'savage auto,' which features a tomahawk wielding native in battle dress

Isn't it funny how the majority gets away with calling other people savages, when in fact they were the ones responsible for the extermination of multiple peoples

Sounds legit

There was also a sandwich shop called 'chinks,' and as you guessed, everyone who supported it downplayed any notion that it was a dig at asians

Meanwhile the same supporters said that the owner had slanty eyes, and that was the reason they called it that

Uh ok?

12. FRESH

FRESH New Member

Couldn't have put it better brah.

13. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Sad sad.

14. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

One problem I have is the pro name change activists are trying to convince people that redskins is a euphemism for scalping.
    The term appeared way before the late 19th century and the Westward expansion and the U.S. Army's wars against Native tribes, when there were bounties on Native fighters.

Oklahoma is a Choctaw word meaning 'red people'. Historically Native Americans have always referred to themselves by the color red.

There's a cable channel on my service called Encore Black which features movies with more African American characters and subject matter.
    If a White person came up with that name, is he or she being racist??

IMO there might not be a huge separation between between words like 'chink' and 'redskins', except that more Chinese Americans and Asians in general believe chink is offensive and a deliberate racial slur.

Most Native Americans don't feel the same way about Redskins.

You have to ask yourself why the woman who's been behind the name change for the last 20 years, Suzan Shown Harjo, can't get 100 Native Americans to join her in any public protest to change the name.

Is it that referencing Native Americans in the name any sports team is offensive, or just the word 'redskins'??

Mz. Harjo believes all Native American inspired nicknames and mascots are racist and inappropriate, even the Florida State Seminoles who have permission from the tribe to use that name, and has argued that because rivals are cheering against teams with Native American names/mascots, it's further disparaging to Native Americans.:rolleyes:

Basically she believes nearly all references to Native Americans in pop culture are offensive.

15. goodlove

goodlove New Member

The term for show proof of kill. Is it ok then?

16. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Getting Snyder to see sense will be an ongoing battle, but much progress has been made per below. The point that I feel you are still missing is that Native Americans have been decimated, culturally, economically, even their very existence was almost wiped out in this country. So to have another culture name a sports team after the decimated culture is offensive on its face, especially when the name could well be construed by some/many in that culture as a slur. There are very good reasons why 66% of teams with American Indian mascots have changed their names, Snyder hanging on to his smacks of callousness and stubbornness despite his claims of "honoring" Native Americans. Minorities are NOT mascots. Again if a Native American bought a NFL team and named them Redskins, much like Notre Dame and the fighting Irish, I would have no problem, but for others to do so ignores the brutal/tragic history of this country.

Remember there were those who did not want "Sambo's" restaurant to change their name either. Most Black folks were outraged at the name, but some did not care. There were protests and lawsuits everywhere before they finally changed the name. And yet there is STILL one Sambo's left in California http://www.sambosrestaurant.com/

"More than two-thirds of the roughly 3,000 teams with American Indian mascots have dropped them, many voluntarily and without incident."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/10/s...-unfinished-business.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

17. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Sambos? People are real flagrant with their bs

18. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Like I say, the pro name change advocates need to be consistent.
    Ms. Harjo is against all references to Native Americans in the names of sports teams. She's going after Redskins so hard because it's low hanging fruit politically.

But she's also against teams being named the Chiefs/Braves/Indians/Seminoles, or having any Native American symbolism featured.

If it becomes an issue of economics and free speech, the name of the Redskins football team won't change anytime soon because too many fans don't see the name as anything more than the name of a sports franchise.

They don't believe consciously or subconsciously using the name is dehumanizing or discriminatory against Native Americans.

Eventually Dan Snyder is going to get 'permission' from some Native American counsel to use the term Redskins, then what will people say??

Even Ms. Harjo has admitted Native Americans aren't a monolithic group and don't all think the same, before she goes on to speak for ALL Native Americans.

People really need to read some of the thoughts and opinions of Ms. Harjo and recognize she's on the more extreme end of Native American rights.

She's fiercely protective of her culture and feels claims on it by Americans in any way are offensive. It goes way beyond the nickname of sports teams.

Mexican Americans, for example, have many of the same arguments against this country as Native Americans,(their land was stolen by the U.S. military, etc.,) but they don't have this separatist attitude towards their culture and the dominant American pop culture.

Years ago, Ms, Harjo hosted a radio program in NYC called 'Seeing Red', where she discussed Native American issues.:smt011

So it's okay to be derogatory and offensive towards Native Americans and present them in a disparaging light if you're Native American??

Either the term red(skin) is offensive all the time, or it's not.

19. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Of course

It's the same logic behind whites not saying nigga

:p

20. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Perhaps she is playing with the double entendre of the phrase "seeing red". Meaning, she is not referring to Native Americans as "red" but rather the anger she has at others using that term.