Watched Movies Thread

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Tamstrong, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

Since the 'Watched Any Good Movies' thread is nowhere to be found, I gave up and started a new one.

This was posted in the Movie Trailer thread, but I decided to move it to keep that thread on track.

I just finished watching this, and I enjoyed the hell out of it. It was funny and uplifting. Great cast, soundtrack, and story. Eddie Murphy did an awesome job as Dolemite, and I loved that he dedicated the movie to his brother Charlie (RIP). The determination, drive, and positive spirit Rudy Ray Moore had is what helped him accomplish what he set out to do, and that's inspiring to me.

2. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

I have this saved on my list. I remember watching Disco Godfather with a few buddies of mine in the Army. Fun times.

3. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Great review. I'm going to try to catch it sometime next week.

4. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

I just finished watching, and JP's Joker was well done. Not that the character could ever be anything you'd call normal, but watching his downward spiral due to his mental illness was as fascinating as it was sad. I like how the many twists and contradictions made it hard to tell what was real and what was just in his head. Definitely worth seeing.

5. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the last four films I've seen in the theaters and they were all very good. I rank them from top to bottom, top being best of course. Parasite is the best movie I've seen all year and I'll probably check it out again.

Just saw he Irishman today and its great but not in my top three Scorsese flicks. What hurts it is that it is sort of redundant considering how many times we have seen the brutal East Coast Italian mafia story play out on screen. Also it is tad indulgent, especially the last 30 or so minutes. The runtime is 3 hours and 29 minutes. Since I didn't want to miss anything by going to the restroom I decided not to eat or drink anything for 13 hours before I went into the theater. And even that plan was hurt because the movie started about 20 minutes late in order to allow everyone to finish their purchases of food. Because of its unusually long runtime almost every person it seemed went to the concession stands to load up on things to put in their stomachs.

The Joker is pretty much a Scorsese motion picture but that's not a bad thing.

The Lighthouse is elevated by fantastic acting and cinematography. The story is interesting, like something out of a 19th century or early 20th century horror novel. But its not for everyone. Mainstream audiences probably won't dig it all that much.

6. Young Herschel

Young Herschel Well-Known Member

I have been invested in Amazon Prime Video since "CARNIVAL ROW" in September because of its massive library of mini-series and straight to video movies as well as a ridiculous horror treasure vault. Well they have this licensee called Janson Media who works in conjuction with a Russian National Television Studio (I knew the official name but am in a rush right now . . . Mars Media I think??). Well here are the series that as a European history buff I really enjoyed and hopefully so will you :)

"Sophia' is a mini-series about the last princess of the Byzantine Empire who is married off by her guardian the Pope to the Russian Czar which has the official blessing of the Russian National Defense Ministry. and its financing as well The writing is superb with a very slight distinct "Game of Thrones" influence which stands to reason as it was recently voted the most popular series in Russia so who is to say that this didn't really happen and GRRM got one of his ideas from their true history?:

Peep the one tall brunette Moldovian princess in the trailer . . . she is a rising star I am calling it now lol. Just wait until she shows up in the series and see what she does and how she handles herself and the men of the Russian royal court.

"The Golden Horde" is a prequel to "Sophia" of sorts but it lacks the official blessing and financing of the Russian Government (much better trailer too) because it is more historical fantasy than fiction . . . more "Game of Thrones" than "The White Queen" (but plenty of fighting and beautiful women) if you get what I mean but boy is it entertaining and its is allegedly the most expensive series they ever shot as it took 2.5 years to finish:

This last one is only a movie but you can tell that it was shot with really good cinematography and an impressive budget so much so it doesn't even look like the same studio (Russia 1). The Russians really love their hand-to-hand combat scenes and their beautiful women over there:

"The Golden Horde" is better in the beginning than "Sophia" but Sophia surpasses GH in the latter episodes . . . especially when you get to meet that Moldovian Princess and see all the sub plots unfold . . . and her clothing :)

"Furious" will remind many of a certain big budget 2000's movie but hey it was done very well and the Wide Color Gamut (WCG) on your Dolby Vision HDR TV really looks amazing if you have a 4k Firestick.

7. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

That's what's up. I definitely have to see Irishman. It doesn't get redundant to me because there are so many moving parts to mafia history you really need a timeline to tie it all together and Deniro always plays a good gangster role. Especially when he played Neil McCauley, Jimmy Conway and Al Capone. Easily a top 5 actor.

8. teddebear07

teddebear07 Active Member

just saw the movie greenland last night . it was pretty good . kinda scary in thought .....life on earth could be over at any moment. what would you do if asteroids were detected and will hit earth in a couple of days?

[​IMG]

9. Young Herschel

I was dissapointed by "Greenland" as it failed to really warrant all the $ they kept asking for. The movie was a knockoff of "Deep Impact" from1998 but not as well produced or cast. The didn't use Dolby for Atmos sound or for Vision HDR which would have truly boosted the special effects right? They charged $19.99 for this rental for months it seemed so when the price dropped to $6.99 I bit . . . but is it even worth that price? Not really because they clearly cut corners to pocket more $$

10. LexiR

LexiR Active Member

The last movie I watched was The Little Things. Meh. The only good part was that it had Denzel in it. But he wasn’t looking his best. So, meh.

11. Young Herschel

^^ It had soo much potential but failed in its final 30 minutes to deliver :(

12. LexiR

LexiR Active Member

Are you talking about The Little Things? Because that’s exactly what I thought. I liked a lot of it and then “pop” ... they lost me.

13. Young Herschel

Yes exactly!! The last 45 minutes felt so unfulfilling like the director & producer died before they wrote the last act of the film and it was completed by the understudy of an associate lol :)

14. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Saw this movie last weekend.

It's as crappy as the critics suggest. It was just okay. The best part of the movie was having Sam Neill, Laura Dern, and Jeff Goldblum back. The nostalgia of having three characters back was fantastic. Too bad the best part of the movie ended with that.

It's a shame the once great franchise ends on a whimper.

I'd suggest waiting for it to come out on HBO or something.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  15. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Saw this movie for the third time tonight, this time in IMAX (which was fantastic).

Such a fantastic movie. It's definitely worthy of the Rotten Tomatoes score. It's equal parts exciting, funny, and dramatic. It does a great job of bringing in the first movie without it being too overly dramatic.

And Miles Teller as Goose's son was inspired casting.

I highly recommend.

16. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Saw it and enjoyed it.

17. beccaomecca

beccaomecca Well-Known Member

3E4524C1-B7B2-43BF-87B8-3B7D3CC1A9E8.jpeg
    Finally got to watch this over the weekend. Being a huge fan of Jordan Peele’s work and unique cinematography style, thought I’d give it a view.
    Pretty decent but the ending was disappointing and makes me believe that there’ll be a part 2.

18. daemonova

daemonova Well-Known Member

It's a bit long but not as horrible as ppl trying to say it is. I blame most of the problems of this movie on the dumpster fire that was fallen kingdom.

Second act chase scene in Malta best part of the movie

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. badbear

badbear New Member

saw beast ..... wasn't that good . low budget ....handheld camera , kids kept getting out of the car with dangerous lion around . i liked the concept ,but it wasn't executed right.[​IMG]

20. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Three distinct flavors of movie, each good & entertaining IMO.