Weekly Workout Progress

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness and Fashion' started by babybro, Apr 23, 2011.

1. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

Good work everybody.

5/9/11
    Increased the width of my shoulders... Some chick told me I have really nice man boobs, you hear that Petty!? I'm coming for your spot!

Took this about a week ago, my first progress pic since Jan.

[​IMG]

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

14 sets per body part?
    Benching 360 at 160? that shit don't sound right but I could be wrong

3. swirlman07

swirlman07 Well-Known Member

14 sets are during the phrase of my work outs when I'm doing 15 reps. When I get to 8 reps I'm usually around 20 sets. For legs, I consider quads and hamstrings separately, so I do double that number of reps for legs, minimum of 28 sets.

I competed as a power lifter in mostly drug free power lifting contests. I competed in the 165 lb weight class and I never weighed the max, usually 160-163 lbs. You should know that the record for benching in this weight class is close to 500 lbs. So, 360 lbs was good, but far from the record.

My bench press was good, but a lot of people had better benches in my weight class. Few had better dead lifts though and that's usually where I won the contest, since you winner is determined by combining the best squat, bench and dead lift weights lifted.

I was always very strong, even before I started lifting weights. Apparently, it's genetic since my brother broke national records in the dead lift as well. I'm the ONLY person that I have ever seen to perform a set of 10 reps doing dips or chin ups, with 200 lbs supported on a weight belt around my waist. I did those regularly at a body weight of less than 165 lbs.

4. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Damn fam respect. The most I ever did was 315 and that was at 220.
    I'm on the grind again as of today and I have a long way to go.
    I was benching 185 and lunging 80 today. Hoping to hit 275 by the end of summer and 415 by next year.

5. swirlman07

swirlman07 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I appreciate it. I don't max out any more although I believe in always training heavy. I just lift for the enjoyment and the occasional BB contest. I'm planning on competing in a big one this Oct, one of the biggest in North America, drug free of course.

Keep it up and good luck with your training.

6. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Lol

I've been getting my ass beat so much in bjj/judo, that i don't have the will to lift heavy like I did

my body needs to adjust I guess

plus im in the middle of changing my whole game to adapt to the sport

you gotta balance strenght with speed and endurance

7. goodlove

goodlove New Member

nice build bro. A little guy like me is working on that. My frame though will not accomodate the mass like your tho

8. jaisee

jaisee Well-Known Member

That's troof. Also consider that you're probably burning upward of 800 calories per class. I assume you've increased cardio in your daily workouts for increased endurance / stamina (I know I did). Unless you've increased your diet to compensate for that, you're going to be burning through muscle mass pretty quickly.

EDIT: Plus for the sport, especially BJJ... it benefits you to have flexibility and excessive muscle mass could be a hindrance. You'll notice most BJJ practitioners have good definition but not a lot of bulk.

9. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

*NOTE TO SELF*

Check back in this thread regularly for more pics. :smt007 :smt045

You guys are looking NICE! ;-)

10. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

i definitely ramped up my cardio, like i mentioned in a post before. i've scoured the net for collegiate wrestling strength and conditioning routines. Alongside cardio i get from weight lifting and bjj class itself, i decided to add 1 day of bike sprints/ab/core work, and 1 day of biking/sprints plus single 35lb plate work that I seen from Arizona State's wrestling team that's sport specific.

i also did these for the first time in class and after about 4 consecutive reps, I was dizzy as hell.

[YOUTUBE]uscyGp2oxmg[/YOUTUBE]

11. glt1980

glt1980 Well-Known Member

A little late to the thread but just found it and glad to see it. Here we go
    Doing mine in 2 - tiers

First tier: Status Complete

Goal: Drop 100 or more pounds

Started: April 2009

Original Weight: 242
    Original Wasit: 42

Weight At Goal: 139
    Waist At Goal: 32

Tier 2: Status in Progress

Goal: Lean not bulky 150-160 with less than 10% body fat

Started: January 1, 2011

Original Weight: 139
    Original Waist: 32
    Original Body fat %: 20

Current Weight: 151
    Current Waist: 29.5
    Current Body fat %: 15

Other Current measurements:
    neck: 14, Chest: 36, left quad + right quad: 21, left + right bicep 12.25

Current Workout regiment:
    weekdays: Start the day off with 3 mile run, 150 pushups, shuffle drill, 500 crunches, jump rope for 10 minutes, 50 flat bench leg raises, 1 minute lying leg extension, 50 flat bench knee raises, 1 minute shoulder stand, jogging in place to a count of 1600

mid afternoon (non gym days): in the office quickie workout 100 ab twist, 50 jumps in place, 25 situps, 30 knee to elbow crunches, 50 regular crunches, 25 pushups, 1 minute plank, hand walk up and down 30 count

Evening after dinner: Bag 15 minutes; 5 min round - just punches, 5 min round punches + knees, 5 min round punches + forearms + elbows, + on non gym days 100 pushups

right before bed: 10 good minutes of stretching.

All Gym Days: 10 minute eliptical warm up to start 30 min treadmill to end usually done after weight training and before tread: 25 inclined situps, 50 inclined crunches, 100 side to side inclined ab twists with medicine ball (14lbs), 100 standing abs twists with 15lb bar on shoulders, 125 pushups, 1 min planks x 2, 2 sets of hand walks 30 count

Sunday: Legs and abs
    Calf raises, seated leg curls, seated knee extensions, leg press, hanging knee raises, seated ab crunches, laying leg raises

Tuesday: Chest and Shoulders
    shoulder presses, butterfly presses, reverse butter fly, bench press, shoulder raises

Thursday: arms and back
    bicep curls, lat pull down, tricep presses, low back pull down, pullups

Saturday:
    Start the day off with 50 mins jump rope, 150 pushups, shuffle drill, 500 crunches, jump rope for 10 minutes, 50 flat bench leg raises, 1 minute lying leg extension, 50 flat bench knee raises, 1 minute shoulder stand

mid afternoon: 100 ab twist, 50 jumps in place, 25 situps, 30 knee to elbow crunches, 50 regular crunches, 25 pushups, 1 minute plank, hand walk up and down 30 count

Evening: Bag 15 minutes; 5 min round - just punches, 5 min round punches + knees, 5 min round punches + forearms + elbows, + on non gym days 100 pushups

right before bed: 10 good minutes of stretching.

12. FG

FG Well-Known Member

I did 40 walking planks in 59 seconds yesterday. I think that was pretty cool.

13. babybro

babybro New Member

Time for that classic weekly progress report.

Biggest increase by far from the last week or 2 ( not sure when I last updated)
    is definitely legs, went in Leg Press from 360 to 450. Funny story with this, I have weight training class along with my gym membership right? And I worked out chest and tricep before coming into my class, thinking it was going to be a regular day, it wasn't, it was finals. Which mean I had to maxed bench press when I already worked out chest and such. Now supposedly, people think I'm one of the strongest in the class, where they get this idea from, I'm not certain. But there is this short stocky dude whose like 5"7 but huge, and he goes to the bench press machine talking about if he beats me, that's all that matter.

I was like what?! I've never been the competitive person, but soon the entire class began egging me on. But I already worked out before coming to class. So for the first time in my life, I became really competitive. I never felt that way before but that was the first time that I told myself, I want to beat this dude lol. Ultimately, I failed haha. He bench press 260 and my arms were to tired, the highest I got was 225. He rejoiced of course, and I was dealt with disappointment, the following day we had class and finished up our final which was leg press, the big guy only did 385. My previous score for leg press was only 360 so I wasn't expecting much, and I ended up doing 450, the second highest in the class! The guy got pissed and was like, well I can still get you in bench pressing. I was like sweet! Revenge lmao!

Sorry just had to share the story. Notice that my shoulders and chest are getting bigger, but due to change in routine (slow controlled movements of 8-10 instead of lifting heavy) I'm not sure if I have strength gains. Here is a current pic. I also gained two pounds to 177, soon, oh so soon I will be at 200 lol.

[​IMG]

14. 4north1side2

I'm sure your having alot of fun while your at it. Ever since you started talking about that MMA stuff I've been floating the thought of giving it a try... I'm just not a fighter, don't feel like getting my ass whooped daily.

It takes alot of time, I used to be fat man.

200lbs 2007
    [​IMG]

220lbs Feb 2009
    [​IMG]

185lbs Sept 2009
    [​IMG]

Have fun, don't let weight loss consume you, you'll become misberably obsessed.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  15. 4north1side2

That's a tight regimen you got going there GTL, keep it up.

FG physical prowness never cease to amaze.

Babybro, brah I ain't trying to be a ass but a 450lb leg press is not impressive at all. Keep at the leg press and you'll be repping 700+ plus in months. If you really want to test your leg strength, SQUAT, leg presses cannot compete with those on any level.

5/15/11
    I find it to hard to increase my leg press while still trying to run a 5 minute mile. Running a 5 minute mile is more important to me so I'm going light on the leg presses. Seems that I'm getting cut everywhere but my stomach.

[​IMG]

Of course, eating 2lbs of apple of cobbler for breakfast isn't helping either. :smt042

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  16. babybro

babybro New Member

Oh I never claimed 450 the weight itself is impressive, but jumping almost 100 pounds in 2 weeks is. The dude in first place lift all the plates which I couldn't remember how much it was. so. I was just happy beating the guy who beat me in bench pressing lol.

Oh and I do squat but not much, just 250 which is close to what I bench press so.

17. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

when i first signed up, the head coach told me that he only allows newbies to go twice a week, so they dont get hurt. Pain and punishment comes with it, but I think in the end it makes you a stronger person. It also makes everything else in life go smoother. I've been hurting every week since going, because when we do the 2 rounds of sparring/rolling, we usually go full bore. My last roll was with a blue belt (im a white belt) who was putting me into shit I never seen before, that left my neck with a nice burn that everyone thought was a passion mark (ended up tapping 3 times to that guy).

the week before that I ganked one of my toes.

if you played football or wrestled in high school, you like pain already. BJJ/MMA is like something to do if you miss team sports and stuff. Some places have 30 day free trials. I'd give it a shot. Shit, we just had a guy with a bad 'everything' sign up, that I drilled armbars with (couldn't go full extension tho, because of his situation). The coach made everyone aware of his limitations, and we look out.

18. 4north1side2

Cool! I'm definitely going to look into it some more, I just got to find a gym/dojo around here that does that stuff.

5/18/11
    I hate working mid shift, I try to stuff my face with all the good foods I can before I leave for work than go hungry for the next 8 or so hours. Not really a big deal but it is for me, I'm going to try to do 460lbs on the chest press machine today. My goal is to do 500lbs for reps some day.

If I was able to bench still, I think I could be able to do 315 for reps... Gotta hit these biceps today because they are lagging behind now.

19. goodlove

goodlove New Member

thats deep. what are your reps and sets

20. FG

FG Well-Known Member

Thanks North! Can you share some of that cobbler?:)