What is being read?

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Boll Onin, Sep 21, 2005.

1. tuckerreed

tuckerreed New Member

boll onin: I have read non fiction as a passion since I was about 8. like sociology, history(and got a bachelors and masters in it), christian and jewish literature, black history, native american history and i love all political books, civil and revolutionary war book

I love fiction too--faulkner, allende, welty, etc lots

2. Iffy'swifey

Iffy'swifey New Member

I've always liked biographies, but used to read a lot of novels too. Now I'm older I find novels less interesting as I know they're not real so can't get into them! Same with films really.

3. suz

suz New Member

Speaking personally, I love fiction - The book that I am currently reading is actually one that I am reading for a class, but it is a really insightful book into Brown v. Board of Ed and equality issues, so I posted it - Plus, since it is 800 pages, it will be all I read until I finish it!

Fictional authors I enjoy include Carl Haissen, Janet Evanovich, Nicholas Sparks, - can't think of any others at the moment although there are a ton

4. SardonicGenie

SardonicGenie New Member

I'm more into non-fiction, but sometimes I still read fiction, but it all depends on what it is. I'm not a big fan of comic books, but every now and then, I may glance at some fiction books that I may come across in the bookstore.

5. tuckerreed

tuckerreed New Member

the makers diet

6. tuckerreed

tuckerreed New Member

The Bible of course, Tammy Bruce's "New American Revolution"; Do as I Say(Not as I do) Sweitzer.

great books

7. fly girl

fly girl Well-Known Member

I just finished up Soul on Fire by Eldridge Cleaver. It tells of his years in exhile and why he converted back to Christianity and turned conservative. Good read. Not exactly Soul on Ice, but still a very good read.

Reading Indian Givers about the contributions the Indians made to our current socierty. Kinda a dry read though.

I am also reading Abraham: A journey to the heart of 3 faiths. I downloaded it and listened to it on my ipod but I dont think I got all of it so I am now reading it.

I need to pick back up reading The Creature from Jekyll Island about the US history of money. Most people believe the Federal Reserve is a federally owned government intity. it is actually a privately owned company. Imagne that. 6 families controling our Federal Reserve. Its true.

8. tuckerreed

tuckerreed New Member

cool, I need to reread the Narnia Chronicles, the Lion the Witch and the Wordrobe, cant wait for the movie either

9. SardonicGenie

SardonicGenie New Member

Well, I'll be damn...

10. fly girl

fly girl Well-Known Member

and it gets even worse.

Our Federal Government thru the Mint prints paper money, but it isnt money yet. It gets sold to the federal reserve for literally close to nothing (several hundred dollars per penny). They then loan it out to banks or back to the government, at which point it actually becomes money. The interest they make off of our federal debt alone is staggering. And, congress has no control over them and cannot audit their books.

11. SardonicGenie

SardonicGenie New Member

It's officially gotten worse now.

12. LaydeezmanCris

LaydeezmanCris New Member

Well i read a lot of books because i study law in University and i study lhispanic studies and psychology as well. I also have honors in Latin and Philosophy. I read books on any topic whatsoever as long as it is worthwhile and recently, the most inspiring books i've read are:

Honey In The Horn by Harold L. Davis

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Neither Black Nor White:Slavery and Race Relations in Brazil and the United States by Carl N. Degler

Booker T. Washington by Louis R. Harlan

Dinner With Friends By Donald Marguiles

Men talk: How men really feel about women, sex, relationships, and themselves by Baraff, A.

Never good enough: Freeing yourself from the chains of perfectionism by Basco, M.

Thats all i've read lately

13. camonorange

camonorange New Member

density of souls- Christopher rice

14. infiniti

infiniti New Member

Interracial Intimacies

I just finished a book by Randall Kennedy. It is called Interracial intimacies. The first few chapters gave historical perspectives on interracial dating, adoption and general image of the different ethnicities. The later chapters went on to address the current state of the aforementioned issues. Kennedy then gave his opinion on how things should be. Overall, I recommend it. I was particularly fond of his arguments against interracial adoption. You here people offering the same unthoughtful arguments against interracial adoption. In my opinion, Kennedy gave them a nice whooping.

15. tuckerreed

tuckerreed New Member

anything by Charles Stanley and Joyce Meyers

Umberto Ecco

Isabelle Allende

Ann Coulter

16. Iffy'swifey

Iffy'swifey New Member

"The New Contented Little Baby Book". I always swore I'd never read any of these parental guides, but after weeks of sleepless nights I've been driven to desperation!

17. MistressB

MistressB New Member

I'm currently loving Possession, it is a fantastic book.

18. tuckerreed

tuckerreed New Member

hey, Iffey's wifey? you should check out a cool alternative magazine for mothers called Mothering Magazine. Its not like the commercial crap selling mainstream products, even men like to read it

www.motheringmagazine.com

19. Iffy'swifey

Iffy'swifey New Member

Is it available in the UK? I've never heard of it.

20. tuckerreed

tuckerreed New Member

I am reading, "Carry Me HOme"by Diane McWorter about Birmingham Alabama and the battle for civil rights in the 60s

also, "David Brooks" Bobos in Paradise

Liberty and Freedom by David Hackett Fischer

Dear Senator "a memoir by the daughter of Strom Thurmond" Essie Mae Washington-Williams (awesome book)

and Churchill "the unexpected hero" by Paul Addison