What is the Worst Racial Experience You Have Had as a Black Man?

Discussion in 'Stereotypes and Myths' started by whitechocolate123, Jun 27, 2012.

1. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

I am going to have to agree...you should not have to work in that type of an environment:smt012

2. empirestate86

empirestate86 Member

I let him know that it was fucked up and told him not to say again. He has...under his breath...ugh...

3. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

it's not just fucked up...he could lose his job and you could sue the company for damages...it's up to you but sometimes you have to be the trailblazer to right the wrongs

4. MilkandCoffee

MilkandCoffee Well-Known Member

When life gives you lemons... sue for as much as the law can give you.

If a coworker called me that, I'd run straight to the court house

5. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

Every got fucking time I step foot in an strip club and have an seat the white woman who were previously gyrating their hips while playing with their tits start twerking they ass once they see me. I'm not going to stand for that ludicrous overt racism anymore!

6. Apollonia

Apollonia New Member

Freshman year in college a Caucasian girl who lived in my dorm walked up to me one day and asked if I would be offended if she called me a "n-----". I was shocked and confused because I had never had a negative interaction with her. I remember responding with a confused "What?" And she asked again if I would be offended. I didn't answer her because I was so shocked that someone would actually ask that question unprovoked and out of the blue.

7. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

This is serious racism right here.

8. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

are you a black man? you are saying that a white woman called you a ______? who does that?

9. Apollonia

Apollonia New Member

I am an African American woman. And yes, this really did happen....sadly. The girl who did it was a bit obnoxious (we stayed in the same dorm building) but I would not go as far to call her a racist. She had a smile on her face when she asked and I believe that she was looking for a reaction. I must assume that she was not satisfied with the response. Also, I just remembered being so confused because I had never been called the "n-word" and it was not a word that I was used to hearing at home, at school or amongst my circle of friends. More than anything I think that I was hurt/shocked/confused that such a profane word could be hurled at me unprovoked and out of the blue.

10. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

i thought you were a woman...hence "apollonia" ...it was just confusing because I hear bm using the word or a form of the word here on the forum but i would think that a young woman would distance herself from using the word...very poor taste to have someone ask you if they can call you that...just embarrassing:oops:

11. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

It seems like you handled it the best way possible, not giving her the reaction she may have been looking for. Kudos to you for maintaining your poise in the face of such ignorance. :smt023

Welcome btw :)

12. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I often get this remark from people sometimes they say it behind my back: "You don't sound like the "average" black man." What does the "average" black man sound like? My mother, who was studying to become an English teacher(but found her calling in nursing instead)always corrected us when we spoke. She made sure we spoke clearly and evenly. Is it wrong to speak properly? I don't think so. It doesn't mean I am better than anyone or I am trying to put anyone down. I got this a lot when I was living in north Florida.

13. Apollonia

Apollonia New Member

Sadly, a lot of people use the word...but not all. Profanity was not allowed by my father in our home while growing up and the n-word was a definite no-no.

Thanks! :smt039

14. medullaslashin

medullaslashin Well-Known Member

damn

if these are the worst racial experiences you all have encountered you should consider yourselves damn lucky.

You do not know racism until you have walked in the shoes a big black man in america :!:

15. medullaslashin

medullaslashin Well-Known Member

how do you know they say it behind your back? I can't imagine someone relaying something like that to you

16. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

They ask my friends and my friends tell me about it. I had not seen this as racist, but I am sometimes annoyed by such things and wish they would ask me instead of talking to my friends. I wouldn't hurt them.

17. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Youre the whitest black guy I ever met

Or

Just being outright called nigger every week in grade school by white kids

Telling the teachers was absolutely useless

18. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

So I'm not the only one. Good to know lol

19. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Til this day I don't know if it was a compliment or insult

20. I can relate to that. I was hired sight unseen by my boss and she just knew I was gonna be a white guy. When I walked in everyone was shocked that I was black. I'm a journalist and I guess they figured a brother couldn't write intelligently. (My boss is black, btw).

I could write a book about some of the racial crap I've been through. We actually live on a street full of white supremacists and are in the process of moving away. Initially I didn't wanna move because I didn't want anyone to run me out of my home, but after so long it wears on your spirit, especially dealing with it in your own home.

Sometimes I'm scared to step outside the front door, and we have one set of neighbors who play racist Johnny Rebel songs so loud that I hear it in my house. We got the police involved several times and it's useless. They apparently think "racism doesn't exist" and I'm just "another paranoid black man." Man it's a long story. This is the edited, made for TV version. So much has happened and we've only lived in this house since September.

Also, it took 7 years for my wife's parents to finally accept me. But by the time they did, I didn't care anymore. lol. When they met me and my family for the first time, they said that we were nothing like they expected. Of course not! You can't believe what they show you on BET.