What is the Worst Racial Experience You Have Had as a Black Man?

Discussion in 'Stereotypes and Myths' started by whitechocolate123, Jun 27, 2012.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Lol you implying if he were bigger they wouldn't do that shit?

2. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

I've heard the phrase "whitest black guy" and "acting white" many, many times. It was almost always white people saying it though, not black people. When I've heard it said, its been to black men who are into alternative rock type of music (I think that's what it's called??), skateboarding, bmx bike riding, etc. I heard it more in high school...never really as an adult. I used to ask my friends if it pissed them off when someone would say that and it was always a mixed bag of answers. Some took it as an insult and would fight back, others understood it to be an ignorant comment that didnt warrant a response.

In all fairness though, it goes both ways. As a ww, I've had insensitive racial remarks made to me numerous times, based solely on the type of music I listen to. :roll: Stupidity at its finest :smt069

I think it's crazy that some people are so closed minded to think that if an individual steps outside the stereotypical ideal of their race, they're "trying to be something they're not". My favorite people are always those that don't try to conform to the status quo...fuck what others think, you do you. Jmo of course ;)

3. I live in Tennessee. The south hasn't changed much. Not sure if you read my posts about my wife's family or my current neighborhood. If so that'll sum up the kind of people I'm around. I've got neighbors who run in the house every time I step outside the door. It's disgusting but it's real.

I've had conversations with many conservative white people, some who are older. When I tell them I published a book, interviewed celebrities, etc, they have the same wide-eyed reaction. They expect me to be selling drugs or to have 15 baby mamas or something. The thought of a young black man doing something with his life is unfathomable to them. People are hung up on what they see on TV. To them, when you act the stereotype, you're acting "black." When you act like a normal human being, you're acting "white." I'm assuming you live somewhere where people are open-minded. I wish like hell I could say the same.

4. The Dark King

I'm from liberal ass NY and have heard that bs pretty much my whole life. From blacks it was always some kind of insult to laugh about in "harmless" jest or from whites who were giving back handed compliments. When I was growing up there were no cool black nerds all we had were Urkel and Carlton Banks so if you weren't Wu Tang black you were Urkel

5. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I would, cut the grass, trim the bushes, plant flowers, do some work around the house with one of these on the hip. [​IMG]Learn the gun laws of your state and have peace and tranquility at home like you should in the south.

6. medullaslashin

medullaslashin Well-Known Member

I wouldn't doubt that. I would imagine that some would even say it as a compliment (or a backhanded compliment), or just to see how the black guy would react.

But black people saying that? I think that idea is seriously overblown, especially the one about black kids equating studiousness with acting white. Black kids are not all geniuses, but I think they would come up with many other descriptions of that before they'd call it "acting white".

I'd bet it originated with a black kid who simply preferred to be around the white kids, and then put words in the mouths of the black kids who resented him/her for the social preference.

most black kids don't hold white folk in such high regard as to associate all things positive with them, especially not as blatantly as that. That stereotype really saddens me because it makes blacks seem sooo stupid, yet after a while, (once it got media attention) even blacks began to repeat it and spread it. Good lord, we are vulnerable these days :!:

7. buglerroller

buglerroller Well-Known Member

in a way yeah.

8. The Dark King

Until some asshole uses it as an excuse to kill you because they were in "fear" for their lives

9. medullaslashin

Unrelatedly -- I remember once reading some (white) pundit state that black people identify with bart simpson because he's rebellious and an underachiever.

My bullshit detector sprang to life. What kind of survey was that? Can you imagine black people saying something like that? And in numbers enough for him to make that crazy generalization? Yet it was right there in black and white, in national media

A lot of times people presume to know what black people think, so much so, they don't have to really hear them say it.

We're just so easy to know like that, that people can presume things, and as long as it's negative, everyone believes it. Like the "black kids equate academic achievement with 'acting white'" meme.

10. The Dark King

Then you my friend live in a happy bubble because the bigger you are the more justified in their fear of you and the more understanding they'll get for putting you down ie Treyvon Martin

11. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Good luck to that asshole, he is going to need TONS of it!

12. medullaslashin

damn, how do you guys speak? I speak proper english generally, but no one would accuse me of "sounding white" or "acting white"

I doubt if anyone could mistake my voice for a white man's, even when I'm trying

Name a celeb who might be accused of "acting white" based on the way they speak... I need an example. Al Roker?

13. It's not so much your tone or anything. For me it's the fact that I don't use hip hop slang. A lot of people expect us to talk "hood" or "ghetto." I just talk normal and that gets me labeled as "sounding white."

14. MilkandCoffee

MilkandCoffee Well-Known Member

RG3 was accused of that.

To weigh in on the subject, I too have been told that I "act white". I've been told by blacks, whites, asians, etc. Technically I am half white (portugese) but I still don't take it as a compliment of any kind.

15. The Dark King

Then I guess you're living in a good little bubble because every bm I know who has diction and articulation with an education who dates any woman who isn't black or hispanic sounds/acts white.
    Having any interests outside of hip hop or jordans is another reason for people to accuse you of that. Up until very recently being black was considered a monolithic experience homie.

16. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Ur biracial

Since when

17. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Don't make fun of bubble boy

18. Apollonia

Apollonia New Member

I don't know about explicitly being told that bw are ugly but it is the message when "our" beauty is often not recognized or acknowledged by the society in general. (I could elaborate....but I won't)

Black Americans who speak SAE (Standard American English) being told that we "act White" or "speak White" is a fairly common occurrence and is generally a SES/class issue when it comes from other blacks and particularly the ones who speak AAVE (African American Vernacular English).

19. The Dark King

100% well said love

20. MilkandCoffee

MilkandCoffee Well-Known Member

I said it on here before I'm sure.