Why do people call Obama "black"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by velkrum, Jun 28, 2011.

1. z

z Well-Known Member

Fuck outta here with that comment, so 20-30 % of us blacks should not check the black box too then? fuck up outta here with that shit. Most black Americans, Caribs and North African has some sort of genetic mix up... some "blk communties" > 60 % of their genetic make up might not even blk, but they still call themselves blk and identify with blk struggle. Take that dumb ass question and shove up your ass and Ron Paul's.

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

This post alone should raise an eyebrow or two

3. briancali

briancali Member

You look up pictures, i had been to the heart of igboland in eastern nigeria, and i had seen many different faces there. Many people are dark, Some would be considered high yellow(African American Jargon), and others were inbetween those extremes. They are indeed diverse in color, however it is not limited to igbos but other groups as well. In fact, most of the guys i posted is from the igbo tribe.

http://books.google.com/books?id=9Q...boe&as_brr=1#v=onepage&q=mulatto eboe&f=false

Here is another description of a igbotribewomen straight out from Africa on a slave ship.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  4. ReginaStar

ReginaStar New Member

There is white people with 20% black admixture checking the white box too. If that is the majority of your racial group and that is your culture I don't see the issue with identifying solely as that. HOWEVER, those who are the children of white (asian, native, etc) contributed alot more than just 20% white genetics. They also contributed culture. Of course all people who have recent black ancestry can identify with the black struggle. I believe those who have a white phenotype but are biracial can identify with the struggle in their own way. May not be to the same extent but the struggle no less.

5. briancali

briancali Member

You did not read it extentively. In the article they mentioned about 3 or 4 individuals. However, one as you mentioned was copper in color, the other two were what they described as Yellowish in color, Needless to say, all three or four had tribal marks, which indicates they were recent slaves from Africa.

6. ReginaStar

ReginaStar New Member

You are still not taking into consideration that mixing occurred prior too. The British colonized this area. Christianity became their religion. White men took black women as wives.
    With all the science out there and DNA test being done as much as some folks want to prove SubSharan people are also light skin I would have thought by now someone would have proved it by taking one of these light skin sub saharan African and showing they have no admixture. And again if if you were right and someone was light complected without having admixture or albinism it still wouldn't change the fact that there is still other features to take into consideration. A biracial African American/Caucasian with albinism might be hard to distinguish their blackness for some people but on the other hand it's very easy to tell a African albino is black without their skin coloring.

7. ReginaStar

ReginaStar New Member

I mentioned cooper b/c although I didn't see any pictures of people with yellow skin I did see cooper skin. Being recent slaves from Africa still does not mean they were not mixed race and wouldn't it also be possible to make tribal marks on your child if you came from Africa therefore knew the marks to make?

8. ReginaStar

ReginaStar New Member

9. briancali

briancali Member

Yeah, I have seen it and there was a disagreement from one of the igbo members from that web site, and the person that started the tread is not igbo. I would rather hear it from the igbos themselves, since they know their history better than outsiders.

10. briancali

briancali Member

I did take that into consideration, but i thought logically. Do you think a small group of british or others can change a population of over (maybe) 2 million people, mathetically it does not hold, also christianity came much later, and i agree with you in the United States there were a degree of so called race mixing, and at the same token certain African groups were always diverse in color, and during the slave trade they were very observant to that fact.

Here is a map where African American possibly came from.

http://wysinger.homestead.com/mapofafricadiaspora.html

Also a few African american also have Madagascan blood as well.

From 1719 to 1725 more than 1,000 Malagasy slaves arrived to the Commonwealth of Virginia through the ports of Rappahannock and York rivers. The Prince Eugene of Bristol came into York River district of Virginia on May 18, 1719 carrying 340 Malagasy; the Mercury of London arrived at the district of Rappahannock River on May 17, 1720 with 466 Malagasy; and were followed by the Rebecca Snow, the Gascoigne Galley, the Henrietta, and the Coker Snow. The Prince Eugene, Rebecca Snow, and Gascoigne Galley apparently made directly from Madagascar for Virginia, where the Prince Eugene had sold her licensed cargo in 1719. The Henrietta stopped in Pernambuco, Brazil before continuing to Barbados and Virginia. Three of the Madagascar vessels arrived in Virginia over a period of only six weeks, entering at York River as follows: The Gascoigne Galley with 133 slaves, on May 15, 1721; the Prince Eugene (on a second trip) with 103 slaves in June, and the Henrietta with 130 slaves later that month. Platt states that the total number of Malagasy brought into Virginia between 1719 and 1721, comes to 1, 231 when the 340 slaves brought on the Prince Eugene's previous voyage and the 466 brought by the Mercury in 1720 are counted in. (Platt: 1969:567

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~malagasy4us/histories.htm

11. botoan

botoan Active Member

Study Finds Africans More Genetically Diverse Than Other Populations

There is no such thing as a typical Black African. Why?

12. Ymra

Ymra New Member

This might be right or wrong but when I saw where Regina resides I closed the book on this thread.

Its had, it does, and it will continue to boggles the mind who so many can be up in arms about how another identifies themselves...

Oh..and since umm the MAIN race is white/or black that is the determining factor on whether or not a person would be of MIXED race. So if your mother is one race you are mixed...but if your grand father is one race...well, that's different.

...also how claiming "mixed race" or "bi-racial" brings credit to both (or a myriad) of races a person is "comprised" off. In simple terms "mixed race/bi-racial" has come to identify black - white.

My children are neither. (African-American/Japanese). My best friend's children (African-American/Indian) are neither. My other closest homeboy (African-American/Chinese) neither.

And one more thing that tickles the shit out of me....white created the racial classification, and here we have one arguing the RE-classification.

..and FG I tired to give you a rep comment.....

13. ReginaStar

ReginaStar New Member

They did not change the population. A few light skin Africans here and there would be expected when they have European and Arab ancestors. I'm well aware Africans are genetically diverse even more so than any other race. I'm also aware their is a diverse skin coloring among different non mixed Africans but I know these to be brown colors. And I'm not saying it's impossible for an African to be yellow without mixing occurring. I'm aware that genetic mutations can occur just as they did occur when people left Africa. But I would still think if this has occurred that someone would have done found it by now with all these DNA test being done. But even if they found someone who was genetically 100% black and yellow skinned they still would not be the same as black/white mixed. There is other features to take into account and the genes causing the skin to be lighter would still be an entirely different gene.

14. briancali

briancali Member

I never said a fair skin African is the same as a bi racial, however not all bi racial people are the same, there is a great deal of diversity between individual people of mix black and white heritage. Therefore, it depends on individual family genetic heritage, not a entire group of people. Also, just to let you know, I am part igbo from my paternal side. Hence, i know my people better than a outsider would.

Also, i posted a great deal of information from the previous post from European Anthropologist studying the cultures of the various african groups.
    One title "Yellow Men of Central Africa" the other describes igbo customs from a European point of view, and he made remarks inreference to the diversity of skin color among people.

In fact, in one of the forums, you had igbos who were knowledgable about genetics an gave a somewhat accurate account of igbo people, therefore the whole mixing with arabs or europeans is hog wash. However a another good example would be the people in Melanesia, who happened to be black people in the South Pacific, and they have more young people with blond hair than many southern Europeans.

http://www.corbisimages.com/images/67/0AB3ACE8-DFEA-45B7-A2AF-373F48ACC051/WK005705.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2242/2395693410_3f703d8772.jpg
    http://www.globalphotographic.net/sal8a.jpg
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:11,s:0&biw=1280&bih=540
    http://www.richard-seaman.com/Trave...ItsPeople/FairHairedMalaitanKidWithTattoo.jpg

Since these people are diverse in appearance, why would black Africans be different? However, blondism is definitely not common among Africans, yet it is common among the black people in melanesia.

15. goodlove

goodlove New Member

You are what you have to defend

16. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

whats wrong with georgia

:p

17. goodlove

goodlove New Member

hey regina, let me try to understand what you are saying because Im not reading books. are you saying we should reclassify obama's race because he is mix or should we get rid of it. In 4 sentences or less could you state what you are trying to convey. (I found brevity is best for clarity)

18. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

genetically, obama is mixed just like every other 'african'-american, that claims to be black. the only difference between him and any random mothafucka here, is that he actually knew a blood family member, that would be racially classified as white (your non-black family members are probably dead).

black is just a reference to our skin tone and a few select features, like nappy hair (yeah i said it nuc), thick lips, rounder face and wide nose.

19. ReginaStar

ReginaStar New Member

I think he should be classified as his actual race. Black/white. Not one or the other. I think those who are mixed (50-70% white) are genetically different than most AA's (average 15- 25% white) just as they are also genetically different to white. I think mixed is typically also culturally different than both black and white b/c they encompass both not one or the other.

I do find him to be the first black president to a point (cause he also the 44th white president. Point being he is the first man of known immediate black ancestry. But at the same time I don't consider him a monoracial black man. I consider him a black/white man.

20. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Well these are easy enough. Mexicans are predominately Aztec & Maya in origin, two indigenous nations of people whose ice-age ancestors (like those of the other first human inhabitants of the Western Hemisphere) were the first humans to migrate across the Bering Strait (formerly a ice and land bridge) from where? Asia.

Spain has a heavy racial, cultural and linguistic contribution from North Africa and the Middle East. The mix of those people with Mediterranean Europeans is what gives Iberians their distinct look. It is present in the food and even the Spanish language.