The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

Not bad at all. Could you see this?

[​IMG]

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

No not at all create new source material

3. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

If we're going to re-imagine Batman characters as a black people, i'd like to see the 'black' Gotham city take place in a 'black' country, like Nigeria or South Africa. After all, why can't "the worlds greatest detective" be African?

4. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

^^^^^

Also Joker, Riddler, and Harley Quinn are all wrong

Bokeem Woodbine (as Joker) Donald Glover as (the Riddler) and Gugu Mbatha-Raw as (Harley Quinn)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Westie

Westie Member

Star Trek Beyond's USS Franklin. Ugly af, do not want.

[​IMG]

6. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

I loved this man in fargo. It was a pure delight in watching him every time.
    Practically stole the show for me.

7. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

There was a universe in the DC Comics where Superman and Wonder Woman were portrayed as black versions of their mainstream counterparts. I see no problem in it at all, since the main thing people would recognize are the costumes and personality. The faces, on the other hand, are less defined by their identity.

8. samson1701

Yeah, I get it. I hear that all the time. But, in reality, those new characters never really catch on. Whites won't read them in large enough numbers to justify producing those comics no matter how good they are. They just won't give them a fair shot.

Look at what happened to Milstone Comics. Those were great books. But, they never got the traction they deserved. Comic book shop owners never really pushed them at all. And, in an instance I saw with my own eyes, turned potential buyers away from those books and used incorrect information to do so.

Besides, nothing about any one of those characters are tied to the color of their skin. Bruce Wayne could be any race in 2016 America.

White people been taking other races' stories, characters and customs for centuries and claiming them for their own, but the minute blacks do the same thing to them, then all of a sudden it's called being creatively lazy or some such negative inference that was never attributed to whites when they did it.

I grew up in America just like any white kid. Batman is as much mine as he is theirs and I want to see people that look like me in those roles. So, until they start giving black heroes, who are created by black people and are written well by those black creators, the same chances to catch on and bloom like their white counterparts, fuck 'em.

Because, I'm not from Africa. That's not my culture. And, outside what my father has told me about the continent and what I've read in books and seen in documentaries and the like, I know nothing about Africa. And, to be frank, I don't have much interest in visiting there. I know how sad that sounds. But, its the truth.

I am a Black man of African decent. I grew up in working class mixed or mostly white areas. Like most other single minded, culturally ignorant American males, I want to see heroes that, if I squint real hard and drank the right super potion, I could possibly be.

That's why I've never been into.Luke Cage (too hood) or Black Panther (again African). But, after Civil War, I'm looking forward to the Black Panther movie.

You are right on that casting, though. You've got some great picks there.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  9. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Anyone going to catch Star Trek this weekend?

10. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

11. samson1701

I'm going to try and see it this Sunday. I'm huge Trek fan from way back. But, I wish the new Trek films were more like Interstellar than Star Wars.

However, as long as its well done, Im sure I'll enjoy it.

12. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I understand your perspective. I personally would like to see more Africans and other non-American black people being represented more in comics/sci-fi stories. It seems that the media forgets that African Americans make up less than 5% of black people in the world. As it stands now Black Panther and Uhura from Star Trek, are the only major comic/sci-fi black characters (i can think of) who aren't African American. It's obviously hypothetical, but i'd love to spread the love around to all the corners of the black world. :D

13. LA

LA Well-Known Member

I've got tickets for a midnight show tonight. :cool:

14. orejon4

Don't forget about good old Lando. ;)

[​IMG]

I'm mulling over catching it tonight.

Sounds like my idea of heaven on earth.

15. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]Ymw5uvViqPU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]QCSPda7xQ3s[/YOUTUBE]

16. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing :smt023

17. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]wBZtM8q2Z1g[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]7f-n0L22gbM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]rRWqSujO5-I[/YOUTUBE]

18. orejon4

Now if they just add my boy Prince Namor...

19. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

First look at official Wonder Woman poster.

20. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]oyoXURn9oK0[/YOUTUBE]