Van Jones Says Clinton Days Are Over, Centrism Has To Stop

Discussion in 'Politics' started by samson1701, Jan 5, 2017.

1. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

CNN’s Van Jones sees the sea change happening in both the Democratic Party, and in the country as a whole, and as a result of his observations, he understands that the Democrats need to abandon their centrist ways and embrace Progressive policies if they want to remain relevant in American politics. Ring of Fire’s Farron Cousins discusses this.

On the Sunday morning talk shows this past weekend, CNN commentator Van Jones made it absolutely clear that the Democratic Party has to move beyond the days of Clinton, both Hillary and Bill Clinton. Specifically, Van Jones called out the fact that the Clinton Administration and Democratic policies basically since the Clinton Administration had thrown black people under the bus with their calls for prison reform, mass incarcerations, and they threw workers under the bus with NAFTA and other disastrous trade deals, and the Democratic Party’s overall embrace of corporatism since the days of Bill Clinton.

Now, this analysis by Van Jones, not only is it 100% spot on, it’s something that the Democratic Party needs to hear. It’s something that Bernie Sanders hit on again and again during his campaign, and it’s something that a lot of Democrats refuse to acknowledge as reality. There’s too many progressive pundits out there right now saying that we still need to be a little bit moderate. We need to work with Republicans, not against them, and here’s the kicker, a lot of them out there are comparing the progressive wing of the Democratic Party to the Tea Party, saying that they’re just as dangerous to the Democratic Party.

Listen, the Democratic Party in the 20th Century became the party of working class America by fighting against corporate interest and making sure that workers and average citizens and the underclass were completely taken care of so that they didn’t slip further into poverty or fall into these horrible health crises. That’s what the Democratic Party built. It began earnestly with FDR and continued on since then until the days of Bill Clinton. That’s when the party shifted a little bit more to the center. It happened again with Barack Obama even though he promised us hope and change. He brought us nothing but liberal corporatism. That’s why the party is in the situation that it is today.

What massive gains has the Democratic Party had since the days of Bill Clinton? Sure, we elected the first black president, and then what? Then what happened to American workers, to America in general? No huge progressive gains as a result of President Obama. All of the gains that have been made over the last recent years were through voter powered initiatives at the local and state level. The Democratic Party needs to take a page out of these local playbooks because those people actually understand that progressivism wins, progressivism is popular with both Democrats and Republicans, and when you keep corporations, corporate influence out of it, you can achieve great things. That’s what Van Jones was talking about, that’s what Bernie Sanders has been talking about, and that’s what the entire Democratic Party needs to wake up and realize if they want to remain relevant in today’s political culture.

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

So damn true. Too bad he didn't back Bernie but he's absolutely right. The party system is dead time to vote in our own interests instead of making politicians rich.

3. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

But what if DNC policies are in my own interests?

Van Jones was a Naderite in 2000 and we see how that turned out, 8 years of Bush/Cheney malfeasance

I keep hitting on the fact that Bernie lost the primary and every Berniecrat candidate and amendment has lost since, nationwide. They can't all be "rigged" lol

The purist left has cost America not one, but 2 liberal SCOTUS seats and put Republicans in the WH not once, but twice in the past 20 years, hardly "progressive"

You people want a far-left fascist coronation, to take power without actually winning anything first. Your leader is a guy who sat on his ass in lily-white VT while Bush/Cheney raped America, then wanted the 1st black president primaried in 2012 https://thinkprogress.org/bernie-sa...idea-to-primary-president-obama-313b4f05f3c1/

I got mine, so I'm sitting back to see how the far-leftist revolution actually works for you guys in 1 year, 5 years.

Meanwhile, I'mo just leave this here right quick. This list is old there are actually more Berniecrat losers than this lol

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. The Dark King

Progressives lose because most are young and only vote in the presidential election. And you apparentlyknow nothing about Sanders

5. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Let me know when a Bernie Progressive wins a state election.

If progressives ideas are so popular, you would think more progressive politicians would be winning local and state elections.

There's a disconnect somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. RicardoCooper

Bingo was his name-o

The math isn't hard on this. Berners are delusional.

When Obama won Iowa and New Hampshire in '08, the establishment took notice and fell in line behind him. The Clintons were the favorites then too and also ended up falling in line. I don't see that happening with Berniecrats, period point blank.

They want power they haven't earned in a party they're not part of.

7. RicardoCooper

No, progressives lose because nobody outside their bubble takes them seriously. Kill the "establishment" and replace it with what exactly? Ram through single payer with a Republican-majority SCOTUS and a rightie president, yeah OK. And far-leftists killed campaign finance reform/Citizens United repeal when they cost us 2 liberal SCOTUS seats. Wall Street reform is dead, too, I thought Berners hated evil Wall Street

And quite the contrary, I've done my due diligence on the old grifter he's full of shit :D

But don't take my word for it. https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/4/5/1511006/-The-disastrous-NY-Daily-News-interview

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  8. The Dark King

As opposed to multi millionaires who pal around with wall st. People who fucked the country hard and voted for the Iraq war.
    I'll choose the idealist every time because I absolutely refuse to believe this is the best we can do. That corrupt morally bankrupt politicians are all there is.
    You're older and I get it you're stuck, you can't see anything other than what you know. Things like single payer and free education sound like pie in the sky. The new deal was thought of in the same in exact way. Social security and Medicare? Conservatives would have rather seen everyone die first. Things like a 40 hour work week, child labor laws, sick and vacation days sounded completely outrageous too absolutely impossible. The same arguments "who's gonna pay for that" "laziness shouldn't be rewarded "
    Power concedes nothing and we can not be afraid to be bold in the interest of our people. This idea that wanting a fair and equitable world is audacious is just fear talking. I'd rather ride with people fighting for that than to accept its either corporate corruption or annihilation. This is the most abundant time in human history and for some reason everyone should be ok that only a handful get to enjoy it.

9. RicardoCooper

That's nice but it's an emotional argument at the end of the day. It's telling that there are no links to back up your assertions, you're usually on point with shit like that. You act like I disagree, I don't. The inescapable fact is to get power and force change in America you have to be a majority bloc and win elections. There has to be a viable political path to your goals i.e. stack the Supreme Court with judges who think like you and the Senate with reps who think like you. Being "older" means that you know politics and you're not swayed by bullshit promises. I made money during Clinton 42 and Obama that's what I call proven leadership. Money is tangible and real. Anything else is complete bullshit.

Let me add that we're just shooting the shit here brother. I'm good because my assertions are being borne out see the graphic above.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  10. The Dark King

All I see so far is a bunch of wealthy people giving lip service and getting very little done. The current DNC aren't progressives they're GOP obstructionists big difference.
    We need solid progressives for the coming storm my friend. Once automation and AI take root people will not be able to find jobs anymore. We need policies progressive policies like social security in place to take care of the people because corporate democrats and republicans won't. They are completely unaffected and it shows by the policies that are on the table now. I'm 2017 we're arguing about healthcare? We can't agree on a viable way to educate our citizens so they can take part in the tech boom.
    People with money like Clinton like Pelosi like all these hardcore dems simply don't have to care because it doesn't change their lives.
    So continue with this gradual change bullshit it's just not enough anymore.

11. RicardoCooper

Again I say we'll see in 5 years where we're at. And again I say my assertions are being borne out.

12. The Dark King

Yup NAFTA and TPP are great. Ok see you in 5 years

13. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Gotta be in it to win it.

The bottom line is progressives aren't winning elections, which means they can't affect public policy.

A progressive revolution will need a progressive POTUS and a majority progressive Congress.

Until Berners prove they can put their people in position to actually change things, we might as well be talking about the Green Party and Ralph Nader.

At some point political ideals have to intersect with real world pragmatism. Bernie bros who believe to accomplish their goals, the old guard of the DNC needs to be blown up are never going to get anything done.

It's the same reason Occupy Wall Street didn't accomplish a damn thing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. RicardoCooper

Pffft. Those jobs would've been lost to robotics anyway, but keep waving NAFTA and TPP around. PS: Like I said above, Clinton 42 & Obama were good to me.

15. RicardoCooper

Preach.

16. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

LMFAO!!!

17. RicardoCooper

I posted the above damn near 2 years ago and St. Bernie is tanking in the polls as we speak. In the latest polls, Warren is beating him.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/06/elizabeth-warren-edges-past-sanders-in-new-2020-polls.html

Bernie-Bots on Twitter are trying to push the "rigged" narrative and not a vote's been cast yet LOL

If St. Bernie doesn't kill it in the debates, he's finished. And I am going to be laughing my ass off :D

Thanks @Beasty for bumping this thread