Name the last three books you have read...

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Sir Nose, May 12, 2009.

1. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Pretty good.

[​IMG]

I enjoyed it, but I felt like there was more story potential that wasn't put to use.

[​IMG]

Worth the read if you're into true crime books.

[​IMG]

Not bad.

[​IMG]

Another interesting read for true crime fans.

[​IMG]

As usual, this author doesn't disappoint. Another great addition to the series.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  2. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoyable 2 book series.

[​IMG]

Yawn. This barely qualifies as a short story IMO. It's like the author wrote a few chapters of a novel, got bored, and decided to end it before going anywhere with it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

Pretty good. It makes you think a lot about the hell foster care can be for the children whose parents who've already made their lives hell enough as it is.

[​IMG]

Definitely worth the read, but hard to review. The fiction and truth are all stirred together in a way that's weird but fascinating.

[​IMG]

Not bad but a bit too slowly paced. It's the first book in a series, so I'll have a better idea what I think after I read the rest of them.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

Not a bad trilogy. All three books were put together in the version I bought, so the pics below are the names of the different books.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

Excellent anthology. I highly recommend it. There are also two more books in the series I've added to my reading list.

[​IMG]

Another story with potential, but it turned out to be a big ol' pile of meh.

[​IMG]

This one is a snoozer, but it was free. lol

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The wealthy seem to exist in a different, glittering world from the rest of us. Almost as if by . . . magic.

Stephen Oakwood is a young man on the edge of this hidden world. He has talent and potential, but turning that potential into magical power takes money, opportunity, and training. All Stephen has is a minimum wage job and a cat.

But when a chance encounter with a member of House Ashford gets him noticed by the wrong people, Stephen is thrown in the deep end. For centuries, the vast corporations and aristocratic Houses of the magical world have grown impossibly rich and influential by hoarding their knowledge. To survive, Stephen will have to take his talent and build it up into something greater—for only then can he beat them at their own game.

[​IMG]

Vampires and humans live side by side thanks to an uneasy peace maintained by the Assembly. As an Arbiter for the powerful organization, Miles Watson is authorized to act as judge, jury, and executioner for anyone—living or undead—who breaks the law. But now Miles is up against a threat more sinister than anything he’s seen in his centuries as a vampire.

A criminal network in London is offering wealthy humans the chance to become vampires without the Assembly’s consent. When the process goes disastrously wrong, the Boss wants to eliminate any trace of the fiasco. But a rogue enforcer refuses to play along, and trouble quickly escalates out of anyone’s control.

As Miles sets off searching for the illegal vampires, he finds himself on the trail of a monstrous serial killer. The twisty investigation takes him from London’s deadly underworld to the rural backwaters of the Pacific Northwest—where an even more devious criminal enterprise threatens all of vampire-kind . . .

Known for his terrifying tales of urban fantasy, author Steve McHugh goes even deeper into the shadows with this noirish vampire thriller, which masterfully combines suspenseful plotting and intricate world-building.

[​IMG]

Civil War tore across the Union Empire, leaving countless dead in its wake. It was a war started by one man, once beloved by the Empire. His betrayal still lingers in the memory of those who lived through it.

Decades later, his son, Felix Drake, is a Warden tasked with both protecting the ruling members of the Union Empire and its Council, and bringing those powerful and influential people to justice should they break the law.

Drake protects the very Empire his father sought to destroy.

When two members of a Council family are murdered, Drake and his team investigate, only to uncover corruption, resentment, and yet more death.
    As the case deepens, Drake is forced back into a life he’d left long ago, bringing with it the same disdain and anger from the very people he’s sworn to protect.
    However, he’s no longer a helpless child, and the people who try to intimidate him now are about to discover that Drake is so very much his father’s son.

All three books are Book Ones for planned ongoing book series with Benedict Jaka's Book Two of his Magic series coming in October & Steve McHugh's Atoned actually being a follow-up to his novella Blackcoat, which set up the story's universe and featured one of Atoned's supporting characters as the protagonist for that particular story. All three books were entertaining reads.

7. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

Aside from a few editing issues, this one was pretty entertaining. If you like horror, it's worth the read.

[​IMG]

I found a new author I like. This was well-written and engaging, and a solid thriller/suspense novel.

[​IMG]

Another well-written book by this author.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I enjoyed all three.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

It's well-written, a good story, and I'm looking forward to her future novels.

[​IMG]

Worth the read for anyone into true crime.

[​IMG]

This one was okay. Some parts are engaging and others are downright corny.

• List
  10. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

Highfalutin garbage.

[​IMG]

Excellent book and beautifully touching story.

[​IMG]

It got off to a slow start, but overall it was a solid story.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. CAkicker

CAkicker Well-Known Member

I have to applaud you for your discipline of reading Tam, I'm trying to read more often

12. Tamstrong

Thanks. If I was actually disciplined though, I'd be writing a lot more than I'm reading. lol I read a lot more when the mood strikes me, and when I have a lot of downtime for whatever reason. I also tend to get more out of reading than I do a lot of other things.

It helps if you read topics/genres you enjoy.