African American soldier in Germany

Discussion in 'The International Perspective' started by Madeleine, Jul 12, 2018.

1. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

The first is in Holland though, right? I think in Europe we have not been so sensitised about “black-facing” (there isn’t even a term or word for it in my language). We have some catching up to do there.
    That cake is disgusting![/QUOTE]

It says Black Pete is a swedish thing and a dutch Holiday. That is all the information I got from international sites.

2. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Well this thread took a shitty turn fairly quickly

3. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Isn't that the way how the world turns. lol.

I take the blame for that, I was just highlighting something I myself learned about a couple years ago.

4. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

5. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Agreed.[/QUOTE]
    Still is disgusting.

6. Soulthinker

Those German are so uberdumm to think a Black-American soldier looks like a African immigrant.

7. Soulthinker

The Black Pete thing was mentioned years ago on these threads. I'm still waiting to see a photo of a brother in Black Pete gear with two hot Dutch women on each arm.

8. Soulthinker

Just like in the First World War.

9. Soulthinker

Did you see the movie Story of A Three Day Pass starring Melvin Van Peebles? It is about a Black-American soldier on leave in France. That was before France left NATO.

10. Soulthinker

There are many books about Black-Americans in Germany. I will bring titles later today.

11. Soulthinker

The books I had mentioned:Germans and African-Americans:Two Centuries of Exchange by Larry A.Greene and A Breath of Freedom by Maria Hohn.

12. Mrmike757

Mrmike757 Well-Known Member

Maybe. But If there was a family back in the US, I guess one would have to "man up". In the case of the movie, he was a young man with just his immediate family back home. Even though he was dodging bullets and almost killed he was still treated like a hero after the war abroad. He even had a European woman whom later he finds out is pregnant with his child. He goes back home to the US where he had to ride on the back of the bus, gets called the n-word and even can't look a white man who wasn't even fighting in the war, in the eye. To me the decision wouldn't be an easy one but I would've started my life with the more satisfying one which he ended up doing.

13. Madeleine

Madeleine Well-Known Member

?? Where did they say he looks like an African immigrant? And what do African immigrants look like?

14. Soulthinker

You hit it on the head.

15. sarah23

sarah23 Well-Known Member

This week in Europe, we have many ceremonies to mark the end of World War 1
    And of course the part played by thousands of colonial troops in various European armies.
    This really wasthe commencement of BM with European women. Previously it was only WM with BW in the distance ofthe colonies.
    The traumas of the war made people less critical of these relationships.
    Even during the war, soldiers had Rest and Recreation.

16. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

A friends father in England is the result of one of those relationships. The fun thing is they were actually always in touch with the grandfather in the city of Savannah until the grandfather died in 1997. It was racism that created division and the reason why they could not stay together. He wasn't allowed to stay in England after the war nor bring his girlfriend and child over to the USA.

It is actually quite sick when it is talk about love and not just some people having fun.

17. sarah23

sarah23 Well-Known Member

In France too, after the war, these african soldiers had to return to their country. No choice.
    And in the colonies, the authorities did not want to see black men bringing back white women.

18. Soulthinker

In France the American Black soldier can't bring his French wife to the South. Only in places where its allowed in the US. After WWI some went to France to stay.