BM/WW IR sightings on TV

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

I'd rep you if I could, but I gotta spread it around. :smt058

2. goodlove

goodlove New Member

-True colors (early 90s)
    -Happy endings (gone)
    Theres one on now . Cant think of the name. Its a drama. Dont get into soap opera type shows.
    -Community
    -my name is earl
    -sex and the city had an IR for a second

What is really said is they want more positive bmww relationships

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  3. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Lol
    My bad... said.

Lol

5. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

So .......you're trying to clown on dudes because they want more positive WWBM relationships on TV & movies than what has and is currently presented to us now? :smt017

6. goodlove

goodlove New Member

No they are saying there are no positive IR. Im saying what you are really saying you want more.
    I listed a few that was positive...you can debate em but generally positive.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  7. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

No, they are saying that BM/WW relationships don't get shown in or on the same positive level as other IR relationships, especially WM/BW relationships.

The media and society still act as if BM/WW relationships are taboo or that one or both people in BM/WW relationships are flawed in some way to engage in the relationship. That's what they are expressing frustration about.

8. goodlove

goodlove New Member

I can dig that.

people will look at any IR with cross eyes.
    Example scandel....people are bashing kerry washington as being the bed wench (IR)

I wouldnt doubt people dogged jada pinkett for hawthornes IR.

The show parenthood IR was foul ....
    But yet IR can and should be put in a more positive light.

Also just more of it to be reflective of the population.

Now look at mordern family ...... very positive.
    It would be cool to have a set up like that.

Look at the list of positive bmww shows that were on

9. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Thanks! I forgot about this one, with the guy with the wild hair and Jamie Pressly(sp?).

I wasn't so much talking about the public ragging about it as much as the depiction of or plot surrounding the characters doing it, i.e. black criminal overlord with white girl fascinated by crime/drugs/danger, etc. He's always menacing and diesel and she's always blonde, loud and drenched in jewels (or in the trailer park - talk about extremes).

10. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Dude, the issue isn't whether or not that there have be positive BM/WW shows, it's that they don't get regarded in the same manner as other IR relationship shows or movies. There is ALWAYS some negative feedback or social commentary when it comes to BM/WW relationships more so than other relationships.

Perfect example is the BM/WW Cheerios. Compare the reaction to that commercial to the WM/BW Swiffer Swipper commercial where the white husband had one arm. Have you heard any (if at all) negative feedback and commentary about that particular commercial? Hear anyone make comments to the effect that the white dude is only with the black woman because he only has one arm and obviously couldn't get a white woman that wanted him?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. Frederick

Frederick Well-Known Member

Those cross eyes and hurt feelings didn't stop Scandal from being the top television show in the US. They didn't stop Hawthorne from several seasons depicting a black female lead in relationships with white men. They also don't stop black women from getting cast opposite white men in romantic relations in just about every other movie and TV show these days without the relationships being portrayed as stereotypical or aberrant.

On the other hand, angry reaction to BM/WW IR has either caused producers to end on screen relationships in shows or prevent BM characters from hooking up with WW characters in more instances than you can count.

You only managed to come up with a list of five shows that depicted positive BM/WW IRRs, one of which you couldn't even name, that spanned a period of 25 years, and you don't understand what the people in this thread are complaining about? What's worse is that you're still trying to insinuate that BW/WM IR on television is viewed the same way as BM and WW are.

12. goodlove

goodlove New Member

I can dig that. Surely need more. That list is small as all get out. When u look at it.

13. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

Happy Endings was good finally had bm/ww married couple that was positively depicted. :smt069

14. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Uuhh i made the thread about the cheeroos commercial before anyone here talked on it

http://www.whitewomenblackmen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23976&page=4&highlight=cheerios

15. Frederick

I already raised the issue of the reaction to the Cheerios commercial in comparison to the success of a show like Scandal with him in the Derek Luke.

His response was to post some article about a white dude getting beat up by black dudes because he was dating a black woman as "proof" that WM/BW couples have it just as hard as we do.

16. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Yeah my favorite though was true colors...way before its time.

17. Frederick

18. goodlove

goodlove New Member

U dumb

19. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Took the wind out of your sails. Lol

20. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member