Chet Faker - Gold video and a mini-rant

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by JamalSpunky, Sep 8, 2018.

1. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

How many of you have seen this music video for the artist Chet Faker?

I don't know how I missed it all this time (came out four years ago), but ever since discovering it a few weeks back I've become somewhat enamored of it. It is very striking. It is also very sexy and arousing without being trashy like rap videos full of video hoes shaking their asses. And though I doubt this was the intention, this video comes across as a celebration of white womanhood and their beauty/style. The actual artist, Chet Faker, isn't even shown until the last few moments and that was a good call IMO.

The video was done by Hiro Murai. If you don't recognize that name then you should know he has been a close collaborator with Donald Glover for years and has directed the vast majority of the episodes of "Atlanta", making him just as important in the artistic value of the series as Glover himself. He also directed Glover's "This Is America" video. He's a major, major talent who should be breaking into movies pretty soon.

I envy his talent but even more than that I envy the freedom he, as an Asian, has more so than black dudes. Let me explain. Chet Faker is a white guy making music for a mostly white audience (despite its R&B influences). So it makes sense that Murai didn't include non-white women as his roller skate girls. The fact that he was born in Japan may mean he is not even as attuned to particular racial dynamics and politics anyway. But if a black male had come up with the same idea for the same artist he might have felt compelled to make one skater black, perhaps two of them, perhaps all three. And not because those black skaters would have been any better but because he would have felt the pull, the responsibility of representation. And it may not have been external pressure to make him go that route, it could have been a self-imposed pressure that came about because of years of conditioning within the black community. Regardless of the reasons why, if a black director had done this video with the exact same models as Murai used, I bet you that at least half of the commentary by black viewers, after learning of the director's identity, would not have been about the artistry of such fine craftwork but about how the dude was a coon for not using black women. And that's why I write that black men seem to have less freedom artistically than their non-white male counterparts. Feel free to disagree.

Oh, which chick is more smoking in the video? The blonde at the center and the girl in green are in a dead-heat tie as far as I'm concerned.

2. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

I kind of disagree for the reasons I have posted about and that is along as a black man does projects where he isn't attracting a mainly black audience that consist of a lot of black females they won't be as they say "checking for him". It is a shame, but that what you have to do in order have freedom artistically without worrying about and having the race obsessed black matriarchy chastising you. But let's be fair it does seem like Donald Glover and MBJ are able to tough it out and still be free in their art.

I'm feeling girlfriend in the green jacket. lol.

3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Gotdamn this was the shit. This is gold. From the song, to the vid to the singer. Phenomenal. So damn hypnotic.
    (Every red-blooded guy wants to do them and every woman wants to be them.)

I read about 200 comments of the 11,000 left there...my consensus aligns with the various that determined these three beauties are greek Goddess sirens coming to take his soul. How fucking poetic is that?

JamalSpunky, the shit you bring here, man, thank you. Never would have been exposed to this and l want to request this song be played on University of Penn's 88.5 WXPN station because l know they missed this incredible gem.

*Green girl and White bomber girl a close tie. Blue girl got lost in it all, lol.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  4. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

(Not to get too deep, lol..sorry)

In Greek mythology, the Moirai or Moerae(/?m??ra?, -ri/Ancient Greek: ??????, "apportioners"), often known in English as the Fates (Latin: Fata), were the white-robed incarnations of destiny..

Their number became fixed at three: Clotho (spinner), Lachesis (allotter) and Atropos (literally 'unturnable' but metaphorically 'inflexible' or 'inevitable' – i.e. death).

They controlled the mother thread of life of every mortal from birth to death. They were independent, at the helm of necessity, directed fate, and watched that the fate assigned to every being by eternal laws might take its course without obstruction.

The gods and men had to submit to them, (although Zeus's relationship with them is a matter of debate: some sources say he can command them (the Zeus Moiragetes), yet others suggest he was also bound to the Moirai's dictates).

In the Republic of Plato, the three Moirai sing in unison with the music of the Seirenes.

5. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Lolol..see wot ya started in me..

I was curious.....
    So the man who invented Rollerskates:
    James Leonard Plimpton..

[​IMG]

Looks a hella lot like...

[​IMG]
    Chet.

:eek: Chit!

Annnd...Chet was born in Melbourne, Australia. My home city!
    So now I'm gonna have to track him down and share my theory -- that he's the bloody incarnate of Plimpton! :p

6. JamalSpunky

I'm gonna keep using this thread to further expound my thoughts about the envy I have of other men of color so far as their FREEDOMS are concerned. That will keep me from creating an unnecessary thread which would probably get moved anyway. :rolleyes:

Mayans M.C.

upload_2018-10-5_13-2-59.jpeg

This TV series just finished its first season and has been given the go-ahead for a season two. It is a spinoff of Sons of Anarchy for those who don’t know. This show however centers on a Latino bike gang and most of the main characters are Latino men. I haven’t seen much of the show but I do know that the closest thing that the show has for a leading lady is someone who isn’t even a Latina. She is a white woman played by pretty up and coming Irish actress Sarah Bolger. Can you imagine a similar drama centering around black male characters in which the clear female lead was white or any non-black woman? I sure as hell can’t. This makes me think of the film “Lowriders” which was one of the few mainstream films about Latinos of the past few years and dealt with the lowrider culture in Los Angeles. The first billed woman of that movie was a white lady too, Melissa Benoist of “Supergirl” fame, who plays a love interest of the young leading male of the movie. Any pushback against this? I don’t have my ear to the ground of the Latino community but when I looked for some (albeit a limited search) I couldn’t find any. Again ask yourself if you could think of a black movie centering around urban black men in which the leading woman was white? To find something close I would have to go far back to the 1980s with the Breakin’ films with Ozone and Kelly although with Ozone being Afro-Latino he was not nearly as threatening to the status quo. And even with that Ozone and Kelly never kissed and made out or had sex.

Let me add that one of the writers for “Lowriders” was Cheo Coker. He’s the showrunner for Luke Cage who seems disinterested in the established (both comic book and TV universe) Luke and Jessica Jones relationship and has no use for white or pretty much any non-black women on the Luke Cage series. But that bitch didn’t mind giving Latino males a white love interest. Fucking simp.

[​IMG]

Henry Golding is blowing up. He is the male lead of ‘Crazy Rich Asians” and is the true definition of a leading male: tall, good-looking, charismatic and a strong appeal to women across all racial lines. If he becomes THE go-to Asian actor of the future or one of the top ones then Asian men in Hollywood are in good shape considering his relatively young age. But here’s where my envy comes in….even before the results of Crazy Rich Asians were in this guy was already cast in a film called “A Simple Favor” in which he plays the husband of Blake Lively and also a suspect in her possible murder when her character disappears. The film is described often as a sexy mystery because the movie plays up on Golding as being this sexy and dangerous individual. He may even have something going on with the main lead of the film, another white woman played by Anna Kendrick, a friend of Lively who is investigating the disappearance. Think of that? An Asian guy who may get to have sexy hookups with both of the main white chicks in an American film. When was the last time that happened to a black actor? Hmmmmm. Like…..never. And that’s not all with the Golding news. It was announced a few weeks back that he has been cast as the male half of a Christmas romance. His female lead? Emilia Clarke of Game of Thrones fame. Never in the history of American cinema has a black guy gotten such back-to-back opportunities so far as being paired in such high profile with white women (or ANY women) onscreen. Before “Black Panther” I was wondering why Chadwick Boseman and Michael B Jordan hadn’t been cast in a similar vein as the male love interests alongside established white chicks like this. Following the success of Black Panther they still aren’t either getting such opportunities or too worried about taking such opportunities or feel they would be "betraying" black women by accepting such opportunities. I wonder if Golding is going to get negative pushback for being an onscreen companion of white women. If so it would not be at the level of agitation black dudes would suffer in a similar situation IMO.

By the way it should be noted that by being paired onscreen with women other than those of his race, Golding expands his audience and potential fandom in western nations. That’s how it works for non-white actors and actresses. Black actors should take note.

[​IMG]

Last year Pakistani-born comedian/actor Kumail Nanjiani starred in a film about his life called “The Big Sick”, a romantic comedy-drama hybrid. The film centered around his relationship with the real-life woman who would eventually become his wife. This woman is white and the two of them co-wrote the film. During the movie Kumail’s character is set up on dates by his parents; these dates are with women of his own racial background. He isn’t happy with any of these women, before or after he meets the white lady whom he falls for. Some people tried to start some pushback against this film because of how brown women were rejected over this white woman. That backlash never really surfaced. The movie was a huge critical smash, made good money for a small film and got Oscar nominations. Kumail’s career wasn’t hurt at all; he was instead rewarded. I envied the SHIT out of that. Could a black guy make an equally polished film about his life if he had a story in which he didn’t choose black women thrown his way but instead fell in love genuinely with a white female? If a black male did make such a film he would receive hell. Woke Twitter would call the movie problematic because it placed white womanhood over Our Beautiful Black Queens. And the media and blogs would concur and write articles of the history of society placing white women on a pedestal blah, blah, blah. The black guy who wrote the film would find his career would soon be as endangered as Nate Parker’s, even without any rape accusations. Kumail however became an accepted member of Woke Society on twitter.

The Big Sick was pretty good by the way.

upload_2018-10-5_13-5-13.jpeg

Riz Ahmed, another man of Pakistani descent, arrives from the UK and unlike his black male companions from that same nation, he immediately starts getting paired with white actresses. Granted since there isn’t a large pool of Pakistani actors/actresses it would be more difficult to place him onscreen with a woman of his ethnicity, but the point is there is no hesitation to see him as perfectly fine and acceptable onscreen companion to white women (and that's how it should be). He has a film coming out in the future “Sound of Metal” which is a romantic drama alongside white actress Olivia Cooke. I compare this to John Boyega who when he arrived over in the US was initially just offered movies in the ghetto in which his love interests were exclusively black. Different rules apply.

With a growing push for diversity in casting it was only a matter of time before even white women would start appearing onscreen with non-white love interests. But that doesn’t mean those non-white guys have to be black guys. We should be pissed about this.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  7. JamalSpunky

Okay after the release of this extended footage trailer let me add Aquaman which I had written about somewhere else before. Snyder retconned Aquaman for the screen making him Asian and later made a casting choice that ensured his love interest, Mera, would be white as well. Then the folks at Warner Bros hired an Asian director for the Aquaman movie itself. This director doubles down by giving Aquaman a white mother from the sea (Nicole Kidman) who fell in love with an Asian male from the land. That means the two most important romantic relationships for a BLOCKBUSTER motion picture involve Asian male-white female couplings. And while this Aquaman also has an Asian male sidekick, I don't know of any Asian women in the film. Now...again...try to imagine a black director like Ryan Coogler making a big budget, highly anticipated superhero film centering around a black male character in which : 1)His mother was white and there were scenes of intimacy between her and his black father, 2)his onscreen love interest was a gorgeous white woman and 3)there were no signs of black women at all in the film. I CAN'T imagine that and I'm envious as hell that a black guy wouldn't have the option of doing that without facing enormous backlash. I doubt any black director would even think of such a thing because evidence shows us they are all conditioned to include black female characters in everything.

8. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Are you sure? "Mayans M.C." premiered in early September, so I would assume only 5 episodes have aired so far.

9. JamalSpunky

Like I said I don't really watch. I thought I read the season was already over. I do know for sure a second season has been ordered.

10. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't consider Sarah Bolger an up & coming actress. She's been around.

11. JamalSpunky

Only because she started off as a child actor. But she's still under 30 and she is beginning to pick up steam. Which means she still qualifies as up and coming. Besides either Vanity Fair or Esquire described as her as that just two years ago. She will hold onto such a classification for a bit longer in which by that time she either lives up to the billing and becomes a more recognized/acclaimed lead actress or if she instead becomes one of many actresses who settles into a solid career after stardom eludes them and youth departs them.