Obese Prof. blames Trump for BW's obesity

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness and Fashion' started by Bliss, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

A New Jersey professor said on a TV program that racism and President Donald Trump’s policies are responsible for black female obesity.

[​IMG]

Rutgers University women’s and gender studies professor Brittney Cooper made the argument during an appearance on “Black Women OWN the Conversation” on the Oprah Winfrey Network.

“I hate when people talk about Black women being obese,” Cooper said on the program. “I hate it because it becomes a way to blame us for a set of conditions that we didn’t create.”

“We are living in the Trump era,” the professor said. “And look, those policies kill our people. You can’t get access to good health care, good insurance.”

Cooper said that research points to black women losing less weight and at a slower rate than do white women, claiming that public health practitioners tie increased stress to a change in metabolism.

“It’s literally that the racism that you’re experiencing and the struggle to make ends meet actually means the diet don’t [sic] work for you the same,” she adds.

Campus Reform followed up with Cooper about her appearance on the show and the professor suggested there was a scholarly basis for her remarks.

“I wasn’t making an argument about Trump admin policies and weight,” the professor said. “Dr. Arline Geronimus’ research from the 1990s argues pretty convincingly that black women have physiological stress responses to racial stimuli and this affects our long term health. I was citing this body of work and the president’s status as a racially polarizing figure that contributes to issues of racial stress for people of color.”
    Campus Reform asked Cooper how she promotes her values in her professional life.

“What I hope my students learn in my classroom is how to be good scholars, critically informed thinkers able to come to well-researched and accurate conclusions, and discerning evaluators of what are credible versus less credible news sources.”

Video and story:
    https://campusreform.org/?ID=13866

2. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

dont blame your sloth and gluttony on anybody else.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

I almost believe it.:rolleyes:

4. Mrmike757

Mrmike757 Well-Known Member

This is funny cuz she's serious lol. You can blame Trump for a lot of things but he's not responsible for what folks choose to eat.

5. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

Why didn't you title this thread "Professor with curves blames obesity on Trump"?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  6. Frederick

Frederick Well-Known Member

There's a point to be made about the cost of healthy food and food deserts that exist in predominantly Black areas.

However, these are problems that have existed for decades in the US.

I despise Trump, but these people who act like he created every social ill are ridiculous.

7. 4north1side2

I disagree, it's costlier to eat unfulfilling foods than fulfilling foods.

People like the professor just flat out refuse to be accountable for their decisions.

8. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Erm, because SHE used that word about herself. I didn't title it, she did. You do understand that, correct? Those are not my words. She identifies herself in her own words.
    To reiterate:
    SHE
    BLAMES HER "OBESITY" and black women's "OBESITY" on our President. Comprehension is fundamental. ;)

9. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

There was a thread on here about that very topic and we had a lot of discussion on it. There are healthy choices to be made even with junk food places.

Especially now because a lot of Urban and/or poorer areas have Dollar stores which offer healthy selections. There's so many options now to choose better food.

Admittedly, a lifetime of social conditioning and slick advertising do sometimes play a part.
    But a President? No.

10. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I would expect nothing less from you.

11. 4north1side2

She didn't title shit lol. I only asked because how comfortable you were titling the thread this way when you are shaped exactly like her.

Carry on.

12. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Don't be obtuse.
    As you well know, HER WORDS.

IMG_20191019_132548.jpg

If she wanted to blame her CURVES on our President, l would have titled it as such.
    Her blaming our President for her self-proclaimed obesity is at issue, and you know this. ;)

13. Othello1967

Othello1967 Active Member

How did she ever become a professor?

14. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Double minority hiring practices

15. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

I suppose she got tired of blaming all black men for it, so she figured she would switch gears to sell a book. Not gonna lie, sensationalism sells.

16. Othello1967

Othello1967 Active Member

If that`s the case she has just made it harder for qualified minorities and she should have known better. I am sure you are aware that that our race is always judged by the negative actions/behavior of just one person.