Whites See "Black" Americans as less competent than "African" Americans

Discussion in 'Getting Ahead: Careers, Finance and Productivity' started by VitaminRich, Jan 4, 2015.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

It doesn't? OK why do you think there's so much crime then?

2. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

[​IMG]

3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I honestly don't know. I'm not an expert. I can only offer some of my observations, such as there being a general lack of respect in life AND for life today. I think the breakdown of the family unit plays a big part, the softness of crime penalties (statistics show its often the same few people committing repeated crimes), drugs play a part, gang lures, some music (I said some)...perhaps a desensitization to pain and suffering...I just don't know.

4. The Dark King

From my observation lack of respect of life often comes from those who think no one cares about them, there family is broken down by drugs and poverty in areas where they have little opportunity to pull themselves up since a lot of jobs up and left leaving them with few ways to take care of themselves ie Detroit. The high arrest records are a perpetuation of targeting young black and latino males in order to make arrest quotas causing them to have an arrest record from an early age whether they are guilty or not and amongst those who are not guilty they are encouraged to plea down to avoid a longer sentence since they are poor and can't afford an attorney with their best interest in mind. So these same people have an arrest/conviction record which keeps them from employment which keeps them in a life of crime. And even amongst the hardworking group of people if you are a single parent forced to work two or three jobs there is no one to watch your kids and as being kids they are prone to making mistakes and there is no one to steer them away from the mistakes. Another reason why you don't see many kids who come from some kind of wealth getting in trouble. They either have sufficient parenting to steer them away from dumb shit or advocates to keep them out of the system. And penalties are rarely soft on black and latino kids in fact research shows they do nearly the time in jail and are twice as likely to go to trial for the same crime as their white counterparts. I addressed why so many are repeat offenders. The music, any of it is moot, we seem to only use music as a reason but never tv or movies at least not to the same degree because we understand that shit is just entertainment, why is music different?

5. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I do agree with most of what you said, particularly if a parent is working long hours and not able to keep reins on a child, which is why I think gangs have such an influence. Also lack of respect towards teachers.
    With the sentencing, while I am aware that in many cities this may be the case, in many others it's not. We have a revolving door here and I'm sure other cities do too.
    Music is not moot -- I should have also included movies and perhaps video games. Which is where my desensitization came in. You can't keep exposing minds to negative imagery and not expect consequences.

6. The Dark King

Considering young kids in other generations were going to war at a younger age exposed to lynchings and other negative imagery and some how stayed away from crime I feel like other things are at play here. I think music and movies have some impact but no where near the degree people make it out to be especially since most of this shit is being mostly consumed by suburban kids yet the crime problem isn't mostly there. If it is an issue than its a very small one. I will say this though if Philly does have such a high rate of repeat offenders then its no wonder why the problems are crazy there.

7. FG

FG Well-Known Member

Hevisvan American. He did receive some sort of cut for his healthcare but it wasn't enough. I know he discussed food stamps. The rest I'm not sure he knows about. I'll check with him

8. FG

FG Well-Known Member

What the hell IS that!!???!!!

9. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Something no one noticed until like two days after I posted it??

In other news...have I told u how much I wanna smuuuuuush you today :freehug:

10. K

K Well-Known Member

Whoa wait a min...who's getting all that for a year? I'm very familiar with the programs in California (which happens to be very different from other states). There is a lot more involved than what is tossed out on some report. I'd be happy to give you some real information on what people (who qualify - IF they qualify) are really receiving in CA.

11. K

K Well-Known Member

FG - I don't know the situation with your sisters fiancee, but based on what you stated, he should qualify for some things. They may be for a very limited amount of time though i.e. some are only 90 days, etc. One of the things he needs to know is that you have to be very persistent and people are often given bad information at first. It is true though that unemployed (or underemployed) single men with no dependents have very few options.

For others, food stamps here are different than other parts of the country. As are other programs. Even "Obama Care" in California is different. California does all sorts of things that is thought to be "better" but often is not. Things are also very different, in different counties in California.

I definitely question the information that's been posted. Not only have I lived through it, it's part of what I work with. In my experience, the reports can be very skewed from the reality.

12. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Who needs reality when you can believe what you want

13. K

K Well-Known Member

Yah this his a major pet peeve of mine. Part of why I most likely will never work for the govt programs too.

It's really easy to read such complete crap and believe it though. I know at one point in life, I probably would have too. Then you live it yourself and see how very different it is. I work with it every day and I really WISH it was as available and easy as such articles would suggest. It's simply NOT reality. I'm very skilled in it all and I can work my ass off to get people what they are eligible for - NEVER have I been able to pull of anything near what that article claims to be as "average".

14. K

K Well-Known Member

In regards to the crime conversation....

desperation causes people to take desperate actions.

I think people may see things very differently when they don't know how they are going to feed their children the next day. Or when they sit all day arguing with their case worker trying to get the medical insurance fixed (due to some workers error) so they can get insulin for their type 1 diabetic child. Or how about elderly who struggle with the choice of paying for their medications vs. buying food.

It's really easy to make judgments about things when we aren't looking into the persons eyes and not knowing what's really going on.

15. The Dark King

Yeah watch food Inc that documentary is so on point. Millions of people are poor but not poor enough to receive help, they go hungry because of this shit.
    I would really like for more conservatives (because they're the only ones challenging this shit) to try and get devices totalling 63k a year.

16. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

So you mean to tell me that as a mother with a child who needed diabetic insulin, you would rob an innocent person at gun point to steal their money, rather than take your child to a hospital?

17. K

K Well-Known Member

?????? uh no - I didn't say that.

I said "desperation causes people to do desperate things"

You never know what the situation really is.

By the way, it's not always so easy as just go to the hospital.

I really think that it tends to be more of a situation of chronic desperation/poverty. It's not usually a situation where suddenly there is an issue and a person goes and does something criminal.

18. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

You stated it yourself..CA, WHICH HAPPENS TO BE VERY DIFFERENT THAN OTHER STATES. Perhaps that's why you are not relating to services and subsidies available. They may not offer it.
    In Kentucky for example, there are multi-generational Appalanchen families who never work, they work the system. From the day they are born, the families jump into action.

Applying for SSI? Auto denial unless you are blind or dying. So you tap for round 2. Same with health insurance. You have to know what you are up against and go around it. I've seen this personally through friends.
    For example....a friend of mine was out sick for a mnth. Wondered...could they qualify for UB. I said no way. They said...lmma try it.
    Denied.
    They studied the uB wording. Changed their wording.
    Appealed it.
    Judge approved it. UB for being out sick. Wow. See my point? Things you think you aren't entitles to..you actually are, or might be.

19. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Money/status has no bearing on criminal activity whatsoever

I always see rich kids knocking over liquor stores, shooting at cops and beating people senseless over a dirty look

20. The Dark King

Add it all up its not even close to the welfare we give companies even when they generate billions. So shouldn't the question be why are we giving away money to people who obviously don't need it while ignoring the needs of so many. Very very few people are working the system the way you described.