exting Driver almost kills cyclist say's she doesn't care, gets no jail time

Discussion in 'In the News' started by 4north1side2, Apr 17, 2014.

1. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

Texting Driver almost kills cyclist say's she doesn't care, gets no jail time

[​IMG]

Poor Kimberley Davis.

The 21-year-old Australian woman was livid when she slammed into a bicyclist while texting late last year, putting dents in her car. The victim suffered a spinal fracture and would spend the next three months in a hospital, but Davis wasn't having any of it, The Standard reports.

"I just don’t care because I’ve already been through a lot of bullshit and my car is, like, pretty expensive and now I have to fix it," she told a responding officer two days after the Sept. 20 collision. "I’m kind of pissed off that the cyclist has hit the side of my car. I don’t agree that people texting and driving could hit a cyclist. I wasn’t on my phone when I hit the cyclist."

Davis, of Port Fairy, pleaded guilty on Monday to dangerous driving and was fined $4,500. Police say she used her phone behind the wheel 44 times before running down the cyclist. She called emergency responders but parked more than 300 feet away from the victim and refused to offer him help.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...nt-care_n_5158966.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Three cheers for white privilege people

3. DonnyJ

DonnyJ Banned

4. 1449225

1449225 Well-Known Member

over/under until this thread is moved to the 'scheduled for deletion' section?
    I'm predicting under 4 days.

5. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with privilege, that woman is just a self absorbed c*nt, plain and simple.

6. DonnyJ

DonnyJ Banned

Nice to see one of you ladies stand up to The Big Bad Wolf.

7. The Dark King

Dude I'm talking about the consequences if it were a black person behind the wheel that would be a much higher charge. Do I really need to put out the statistic showing that blacks get more severe punishments for the same exact crime?

8. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

I have looked at the statistics and they are a reality. But, I am not sure if this is the platform for such comments. I say that because although white privilege is very real, at least half of the website's demographic are in fact white and privileged to some degree. So, I am not entirely sure why this would be a good place to express such views (no matter how accurate). In regards to Bug's opinion, I don't know her personally, but I would venture to guess that her view of such things would be different considering that she didn't grow up in the U.S. I am not claiming that privilege in general is merely a "U.S." thing. But, you would honestly have to have spent your life here as a person of color and more specifically a black person (that has endured discrimination, racism, etc.) to grasp the concept of institutionalized racism, internalized racism, and white privilege. I think the fact that she is in the UK might make it very difficult to understand your viewpoint.

I'd also like to add that this happened in Australia (if I read that correctly). And although I am aware that white privilege very much exists in that country, I am not personally familiar with the statistics for Australia.

As far as the post goes, I sincerely hope that that woman in the hospital gets justice. I'll never fully understand the complete lack of respect and complete lack of responsibility that the youth seem to have these days. The situation is tragic and I hope for the best.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  9. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

I think the reason she wasn't punished to the extent, at which it first seems she should have been.

One, she says she wasn't on her phone when the cyclist collided with her car and Two, he hit the side of her car "which she bemoans the fact she has to repair it" slammed to me would suggest she hit the cyclist nose first, but side damage might suggest the cyclist has a part to play in the incident too.

Ie she pulled out and he had no lights on his bike hitting the side or the cyclist pulled out and hit the side of her vehicle.
    I'm sure if they could have proven it was her fault they would have had her for it.

Sitting in the car and not checking on the cyclist makes her a c*nt though.

10. meowkittenmeow

Very good point

11. wtarshi

wtarshi Well-Known Member

Australia not America.

She's a self absorbed airhead who got off way too lightly

12. The Dark King

Australia doesn't have white privilege,? Are you being serious? Lol
    You people used nigger in public in government until the late 90s

13. DonnyJ

DonnyJ Banned

You people? Lol

14. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

15. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

I was thinking Pulp Fiction not Tropic Thunder lol

[​IMG]

16. DonnyJ

DonnyJ Banned

Kirk Lazarus is Australian, so the point goes to Since1980. :smt003

17. meowkittenmeow

This escalated quickly...

18. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Exactly!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  19. meowkittenmeow

This is starting to get amusing. I can assume this will be one of those "argument threads". Unfortunately, I don't think there will be a positive ending.

20. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

NYC employee gets off scot free after hit-and-run truck kills 21-year-old beauty

[​IMG]

A year after a horrific hit-and-run killed an aspiring actress walking near Union Square, the city employee behind the wheel has gotten off scot-free, The Post has learned.

Harry Robinson, 64, a $105,000-a-year highway repairman for the Department of Transportation, drove the city-owned, 10-wheel Mack dump truck that ran over and crushed Roxana Sorina Buta, 21 — then kept going.

[​IMG]

Despite heavy press coverage, Robinson did not turn himself in. Cops tracked him down eight days later after a bank security video captured the truck on tape.

On March 18 — 10 months after her death — police slapped Robinson with two summonses, for “failure to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk,” and “failure to exercise due care.”

But in court last week, he was found not guilty of both.
    *(can I get 3 cheers??)

The news stunned Buta’s mother, Cristina Oprea.

“They took his word and left me with nothing,” the distraught mom said. “How do they explain that someone can kill a young girl and get away with it?”

Buta, who studied and performed at T. Schreiber acting studio, left her job as a waitress at Bar 6 at 1:26 a.m. on May 24, 2012. It was a rainy Tuesday, and she walked toward the subway.

The light at West 14th and Broadway turned green, and she stepped into the crosswalk. The intersection was dark and had a dip in the asphalt off the curb.

Robinson did not yield turning right at an unknown speed, and his truck plowed into Buta.

Police said Buta was talking on her cellphone.

But her mom’s lawyer, Joe Tacopina, says records show no calls at the time.

The Manhattan DA’s Office told Oprea seven months ago that they would not charge the driver with a crime.

Officials told Oprea the driver claimed he never saw Buta and “we have no proof” he was aware of the impact.

Oprea has set up a shrine to her only child — a National Honor Society student who sang, danced and starred in four musicals at Hillside HS in New Jersey....

[​IMG]

“Roxi was my life, the reason I woke up every day,” Oprea said. “She was the best daughter a mother could have. She could have done so much for the world.

“Because a guy . . . didn’t pay attention, I have to go on living without her. I can tell you what hell means.”

Reached outside his Brooklyn apartment, Robinson, a 14-year DOT employee, refused to say anything about the tragedy.

Oprea has filed a wrongful-death suit against the city, DOT and Mack trucks.

---------------------------------------
    *Better yet, I'll raise you a HarryRobinson-fluenza.