Dear Black People

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by The Dark King, Dec 24, 2015.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

2. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

Thought this was a movie response to the movie that was made a few years back titled "Dear White People".

3. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

4. The Dark King

Ches I meant everyone. Look where I posted this hun. Cease fire for Christmas, I literally don't have the energy for the back and forth today.

5. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

This letter is sincere as it is enlightening and refreshing. A lot of what she said is not new because we already know this. And she is right about th fact that racial discrimination against black people is problem of white people have to deal with. I recall president Bill Clinton apologized to black people for slavery. Whether or not the apology was sincere is debatable(if one cares to do so). But this woman, pretty much challenged herself to really look at the situation and take it seriously to write her letter. I don't think that a lot of white people will do what she did. In all likelihood, she would be called a traitor to the white race or other words in the negative. But, I will wait and see and at the same time, not hold my breath because in this world, it is everyone for themselves.

6. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

TDK, I was just clarifying.

I like her letter and have had many of the same thoughts and have expressed the same sentiment. As Gorath said, there is nothing that black folks don't already know - you live it. But every time a white person grasps the truth and lives their life according to that truth, it's a step in the right direction. But we have so many steps to take and so many white folks either refuse to take the first step or they're totally oblivious to the fact that they need to take one.

One thing I will say, in addition to Gorath's statement that she may be a traitor in the eyes of some white folks, is that she will be ridiculed by some black folks as well for not being authentic. Or for being patronizing. Because some simply don't trust ANY white person. Hate is taught on both sides of the racial divide.

7. RestlessRita

RestlessRita Well-Known Member

Obviously, this was awesome to read. Accountability is essential. It's not enough to say we are sorry. That apology must be followed by a positive action. We must intermingle with each other so that we begin to see each other as merely human beings no matter what shade our skin color is. I have seen a change, but it's just a beginning. Churches, synagogues, and all houses of worship should make a point of planning functions to include people of different faiths and color. Not only religious institutes but each community needs to do this as well as schools coming together from different areas. Perhaps, if people had the opportunity to really get to know one another, fear could be dissolved, which, I think, is the reason, often times, for hate.

8. The Dark King

I appreciate hearing from you guys. Interesting perspectives.

9. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I also think that black people need to lower their guards and listen with an open mind to join in the journey to enlightenment. I remember seeing the ID show A Crime To Remember. They did a show about a story that my mother recalled very well(she still lives in the town of Live Oak, Florida where it happened). A man she knew commented on the events of what happened. At the end of the show, he said, "I don't deal with white folks. I'not being racist. I just being wise."

10. The Dark King

I know you're right intellectually but instinctively I can see why so many people are so cautious, for us its literally life and death. Its hard developing trust when the other person has all the guns and all the bullets

11. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

This is when we all have to take that leap of faith. Everyone. A journey like this should not and must not be dominated by fear and mistrust.

12. The Dark King

Again intellectually I totally hear you and agree but overcoming instinct is going to be the biggest challenge. Harmony can only benefit me but as of late socially if I don't already know you its incredibly hard to trust you. It's not even just a race thing its just how people operate now. Absolutely no honor or integrity.

13. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Honor and dignity must be demonstrated and shown. I understand survival instincts. But lately, it's like the trepidation and fear people have of fear itself, yet have no idea what is coming. Fear of the unknown is natural, but the unknown is inevitable. We all face the unknown sooner or later.

14. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Fear of fear is paralyzing.

15. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Indeed.

16. BrianJ

BrianJ New Member

A lot of wisdom in this. If more white people want us to trust them, they need to feel comfortable trusting us. Relinquish power and trust that we will not repay those responsible for our hell with hell onto them.

Most white people in this country can't even literally listen to what we have to say without becoming so uncomfortable they must counter our thoughts; almost immediately "whitesplainin'".

They will never give up their guns or bullets. Never.

17. BrianJ

BrianJ New Member

We have taken those leaps of faith. Others need to collectively do that now. Not operating from fear, operating from history.

18. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

But are we still practicing those leaps of faith, or are we just doing it once and forgetting what acceptance is? Christmas comes once a year, but the sentiment,"Good will to all," applies to everyday of the year. Hatred is rooted in history and taught by older people in the home. I will quote Jedi Master Yoda until the day I die.
    "Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. All of these are paths to the dark side."

19. The Dark King

Here's the tricky part when you say all it creates this false narrative like all of us are taking part in the oppression. Its really not both sides and thinking back to where you said we need to forgive I think black people have done that shit in spades. We as a people don't mess with white people out of retribution for anything, we are always prepared to let it go until something new happens to connect to the never ending train of bullshit bestowed upon us.
    The more I think about it the more I realize this is really something white people need to fix. Our allies need to work with their friends and family members to make this better because the sad and obvious truth is we don't have much of a voice in this problem. Its too easy for them to dismiss us without a second thought. It's going to be centuries if ever before this is fixed.

20. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

But when some of us do attempt to fix it, some black folks close ranks and lash out. I see it all the time in the groups I'm in. Fortunately, in two of the groups, I have a great rapport with members that are in both groups so they are respectful and recognize that I have something valid to contribute and, for the most part, when race comes up, it's a respectful discussion. I've had some stick up for me against others who just see the white face in my profile photo and make assumptions.

Now, I was in one group, where a couple of popular folks in the group were very anti-white. I persevered for awhile, because I understand that I'm going to encounter that if I date/marry a black man and I need to be able to remain respectful and appreciate their pain and experiences. But no matter how I tried to demonstrate compassion, they remained closed and full of hate. I finally had to step away. The admin of the group apologized and asked me to return because he wanted that dialogue. He felt the group needed to open itself up to the discussion. But I was a team of one, and my frustration was starting to turn to anger and I felt it best to go.

While racism is definitely a white problem and it's up to us to fix it, black folks need to open themselves up to those who genuinely want to fix it. Don't look at the white skin - look at the heart underneath.