Black Excellence

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by buglerroller, Dec 21, 2012.

1. buglerroller

buglerroller Well-Known Member

http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2012/12/black-excellence-cameron-clarke-receives-perfect-sat-score/

With all the media coverage criticizing black men, it’s always great to hear of those making extraordinary accomplishments in their lives. One such achiever is Cameron Clarke, 18, of Fort Washington.

The senior at Germantown Academy in Fort Washington, PA, received a perfect score on his SAT (2400). He is one of 360 students who received a perfect score this year out of 1.66 million test-takers, according to SAT officials.

The National Merit Scholarship semifinalist told Philly.com this accomplishment is a result of hard work:

“I put in a lot of work. I took a prep class with some of my friends, and I did a lot of practice tests from a book. But that only prepares you so much. The difference between getting, like, a 2400 and a couple of points lower is just focus.”

Both focus and persistence can be credited for Clarke’s perfect score. He scored a 2190 the first time he took the SAT. Clarke then took the test a second time, believing he could score even higher. And that he did.

His next goal? Attending his dream college: Princeton. The academic superstar, who writes for his school paper, participates in a math club, tutors other students, and is a senator in his school’s student government, has a great shot.

2. MilkandCoffee

MilkandCoffee Well-Known Member

Good for him

3. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Can't rep you again yet so...

[​IMG]

4. LA

LA Well-Known Member

Positivity!

5. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

Awesomeness!!! It's great to see someone's hard work and focus pay off; he should definitely be proud of himself. :smt038

6. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

This is newsworthy and a VERY powerful feat! With that kind of score, nothing is out of reach for Cameron Clarke.

7. GQ Brotha

GQ Brotha New Member

Congrats to the young man for all the effort and hard work he has put forth to have such an achievement.

From the sound of him he has a solid future ahead of him given his ethic and drive to succeed.

Had to rep you for sharing the story with us dWeb, didn't even know about it, just keep hearing the negative stories in the media with guns and shootings and fiscal cliff and Mayan end of the world, etc.

A refreshing positive story for a change.

8. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

philly repping

:cool:

9. Blacktiger2005

Blacktiger2005 Well-Known Member

This is truly outstanding. It proves that anything is possible if one has the determination to be whatever he or she wants to be despite the negative forces in this world that want you to fail. If only there is a way to get this message out to the millions of black males who have the same potential to succeed, but need that message that they are as good or better than anyone.

10. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

You have been repped.

dWebPro, thanks for posting a great article. Like GQ, I've been so inundated with apocalyptic tales that this uplifting piece of news was off my radar. Nothing makes me happier than seeing excellence. Congratulations to him and his family!

11. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

There is but too many "successful" black males are too scared or too above caring to do it.

12. buglerroller

same here, we have to choose to see the brighter side of life to not let all the negativity get to us.

or too busy... dont make time..

13. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Those who do care & understand always seem to make time. That's how & why they make a difference and inspire those who need to be inspired.

14. buglerroller

true!

15. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

Yeah, buddy!

16. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Meet the precocious 11-year-old CEO of his own handmade bow tie business :smt029

[​IMG]

'Bow ties make me look good and feel good and they just give me that spark inside of me'

While most sixth graders spend their free time watching movies or playing video games, Mo Bridges runs a business making and selling stylish bow ties.

The Memphis, Tennessee native is the CEO of Mo's Bows, a handmade bow tie company that he launched in 2011.

Looking dapper in a beige suit, a plaid bow tie and tortoiseshell glasses, Mo told the Today Show: 'Bow ties, they make me look good and feel good and they just give me that spark inside of me.'

Eloquent and confident, he added: 'I am the NBT, the Next Best Thing.'

[​IMG]

Mo explains that he first became interested in bow ties when he was three and his mother Tramica started letting him dress how he wanted to dress.

'I would wear ties just to ride my bike and I would also wear ties just to play in the playground,' he says.

His grandmother, a seamstress, taught him how to sew, and he began handmaking his bow ties. Soon thereafter, a business was born.

[​IMG]

.[​IMG]

Grandma
    .[​IMG]

His bow ties - which range in price from $25 to $60 - come in a variety of colorful patterns, and each one is given a playful name.

[​IMG]

A camouflage colored design, for instance, is called G I Mo, and a rainbow chevron-patterned tie is named Laugh Out Loud.

[​IMG]

He finds inspiration at local fabric stores, where he hand-picks all of the fabrics himself.

[​IMG]

While Mo is the brains and creative mind behind the company, his mother Tramica calls herself his 'momager' and explains that it is a family business.

'Between myself, my mom, my sisters and granny, and of course Mo, we have been doing it since 2011,' she explains.

Mo - who has plans to go to Parsons School of Design when he's older - agrees that the business is a team effort. 'We say Mo is the CEO of Mo's Bows,' he says, 'but Momma is the CEO of Mo.'

Today, Mo's Bows can be purchased in retail stores in Tennessee, Alabama, Texas, Louisiana, South Carolina and Arkansas, as well as online on his Etsy page

And while Mo has already made tens of thousands of dollars selling his signature designs at the tender age of 11, he has no plans to slow down any time soon.

'I want to start my clothing line by the time I'm 20,' he told Today's Lester Holt.

The TV host then asked him: 'So you're going to get into the fashion business?'

Mo grinned and responded matter-of-factly: 'Yes, of course!'

Source: http://www.today.com/style/stylish-11-year-old-aims-bring-back-bow-tie-2D11744229

His website of Bows

http://www.etsy.com/shop/MosBowsMemphis

For more Entrepreneurial inspirations
    http://www.whitewomenblackmen.com/forum/showthread.php?p=811581#post811581

17. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

That's wasup.

18. RestlessRita

RestlessRita Well-Known Member

TRULY AMAZING!!!!

19. Black DeNiro

Black DeNiro Well-Known Member

"And while Mo has already made tens of thousands of dollars selling his signature designs at the tender age of 11, he has no plans to slow down any time soon."

That's what I like to hear. This kid is going places. Wishing nothing but the best for him and his family. Amazing story B. :smt023

20. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

great story! GO MO:smt038